2 rehearsal sessions later

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Here is an interesting picture of a drum head that came with this new 13" OCDP I purchased recently. The head had only a few stick marks on it when I got it. This is what it looks like now after 2 practices with smooth nylon sticks!

Attachments

• PIC-0128.jpg
    PIC-0128.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 400
That's a shame. No head manufacturer is immune to the occasional quality control issue, but Remo has come under some rather concentrated fire recently. I have really enjoyed the Z 100 coating that Aquarian is using nowadays. I have the Super 2s on all my tom batters, Texture Coated (power dot) on my snare, and Focus X coated on my 10 in snare. I found them easy to tune with a broad range. And the coating has proved to be quite durable over my six months with them. Give 'em a try if you are interested in branching out.

The reason whiy, after many years with Remo, I just switched to Evans. They gotta do something about that, or they will steadily continue to loose customers.

How do you like that OC snare? I've been thinking about buying the 6.5x14 Gun Metal Sparkle snare.

I'm really liking the Remo Renaissance heads... they're a little hard to understand at first, with a significantly different sound than usual, but aesthetically they're great because they really don't lose too much color. But I am considering going Evans next chance I get, because I can't spend that much buying Renaissance for my whole set.

For some reason I've never had any issues whatsoever with any coated Ambassador head. They always stretch and warp over years of playing, but I've never had as much as a speck of the coating come off.

Ive been an EVANs man, but recently threw a a remo coated Ambassador on a 14x4 maple piccolo... and an hour later i could see through the snare.. all the coating in the middle was gone. Im back to evans now.

Every coated Remo head I've ever had on a drum has had the coating come off. Just bought a new sanre reently myself and after a week it's looking like yours. It's not such a problem personally, it's only an aesthetic thing and I'm the only one usually looking at my heads. It would be nice for Remo to improve the durability of their coating but it's not going to put me off them.

I have just had this same problem for the first time with Remo. one rehearsal with a new powerstroke 3 and the coating is coming off, the old one lasted months!!! What's up here is this a new problem with Remo?

looks like a typical coated Remo head to me. I had the same problem with Aquarian coating as well except in about a week there was hardly any left on the head at all. If you played in the center it started shedding all around anyway which was annoying to have to clean up the 'snow' everywhere those heads created. Evans G1 Coated heads are nice and although the coating may wear smooth after a while, it doesn't go flying off the head. The only heads I liked by Remo so far were Fiberskyns but after a while, they start peeling and bubbling. I think I might try Renaissance for my Gretsch kit and keep Evans on my Mapex. I'm looking for that warm, vintage sound and Evans doesn't have anything closer than G1s. I can get Renaissance heads in the sizes I need (26,13,16,18) or I could try Fiberskyns again. Evans heads seem to be the best made, although they don't really offer a wide range of sounds or sizes (J1s only go through 16" for example as well as finding a 26" bass head is pretty tough. They have the STRATA orchestral heads that would fit the toms but the bass starts at 28") I will probably keep something like Evans G1s on my Mapex kit (10,12,14,16,22) though for that modern sound.

I have to give you some props that's a pretty tight grouping of marks.
How tight are your heads?
I notice tighter heads seem to have more of these marks on them.

Back