wsabol

Gold Member
I'm shopping around for how to make my dream kit work. This is it

20x16 virgin kick
16x16 floor
14x14 floor
12x8 rack
Maple shells.

Sounds pretty reasonable right. I'm not looking for a crazy Peart kit in funky configs, I'm just looking for some basic drums in some pretty standard sizes. I don't think its too much to ask.

I am a Yamaha guy, so lets go over our options starting with the Tour custom.

Kick is the weirdest size of all time: 20x17.. what? plus no virgin option. rack tom is 12x9. And Color/wrap options are limited at best..

Then I'm left with the most expensive Absolute option, which is great, but I'm not made of money. The 16" and shallower kicks have no virgin option, but the 18" and depper do...? why? Then the floor toms and at unheard of depths... 14x13? 16x15? why chop of the extra inch?.. in all honesty, the 1 inch on the floor toms doesn't bother me that much, its not a deal breaker, I just find it extremely weird.

Pearl is the same story for their Vision kits: configurations are no help at all. (does Pearl even sell a kit with a 12x8 rack tom?)

The only real option with Pearl is getting a Masterworks, but I don't like the way Pearl drums look, and I'm not going to pay $1000-$3000 per drum for a kit I don't like.

I just don't know what to do. Realistically, I'm considering dropping the virgin requirement and going with an Absolute. I'd be alright with the 12x9 rack on the Tour Custom IF the kick wasn't 17 inches deep.

I don't know guys, should I just man up and get the Absolute? get over myself and get the Tour Custom? go to C&C or the like? or screw big business and make the kit myself with some Gladstone shells? I'm not a professional/touring drummer, yet I see this kit as the one kit I'll have for the rest of my life. In other words I don't want to buy another kit, so it needs to stand the test of time, and more importantly I don't want to settle.

I've been looking at kits and my options for a whole year now, and as much as I love looking at drum gear, I'm ready have something picked out. I won't be buying anything anytime soon, because I need to save. Anyway, let me know what you think I should do.

Tama and Ludwig will work with you.

Yamaha seems to frustrate a lot of people with their options, but I really respect them for it. They are the opposite of many of these "custom" shops who are willing to do anything for business. Yamaha makes drums so they sound and look the way Yamaha thinks their drums should. This controls the quality, creates a uniform product that, if you like Yamaha, will never disappoint, and it keeps the number of SKUs down.

It really does say volumes for their product when so many people buy their vision.

I guess it doesn't apply to their lower end sets, but Yamaha does have Custom Orders

I'm a Yamaha guy too, and I get you. I plan on at least inquiring about doing a special order on an Oak Custom in the next year or two. I want a virgin bass drum and a finish that's currently only available on their Custom Absolute lines.

The only reason to get a virgin kick is if you don't muffle it. If you muffle, virgin kicks sound the same as the "defiled" kicks.

I don't know guys, should I just man up and get the Absolute?

In a word, Yes!..:)...I've owned many different brands of drums over the years..for me nothing compares to yamaha...if thats the brand you like, then that's what I'd get...and if it's going to be your last kit...my motto is "buy once cry once!"...lol

20x16 virgin kick
16x16 floor
14x14 floor
12x8 rack
Maple shells.

Sounds pretty reasonable right.

Well, if we were living in 1980, that sounds reasonable, but we're not. Yamaha went to the 17" depth standard quite some time ago. Keep an eye on eBay ...​
Or ... a much easier route ... buy Ludwig ...​

I'm with you. I like shallower toms and kick but I can't find anything in my sizes either.

Go custom and tell these big boys - we've had enough!

Davo

What is your price range?

Dude. Yes. I had no idea Yamaha did little custom stuff. Thanks LeftoverPenguin. I think i'll get the Absolute and ask them to through in some square floor toms instead of those odd sizes (I don't know why odd numbers and drum sizes don't mix with me).

Price range: It really doesn't matter, I'm less concerned about the price and more concerned about whether or not I'll enjoy playing this kit for the next 40 years.

The only hesitation I could have is in the YESS mounts.. i know they have a really bad rep with some people. Do ya'll think it'll be OK if I remove the YESS and put the tome on a RIMS?

You'll be fine removing the YESS and using RIMS. I've done that myself; I'm not a fan of YESS mounts. I was asking about price, since you were sort of balking at the price of Absolutes.

I don't see an issue. If you can go without the virgin kick, and money isn't an issue and you have to have Yamaha, and you want a kit that you can play for 40 years, then order exactly want you want. You'll be very happy.

By the way, you might want to look at the Recording Customs, if you like birch. Birch is brighter than maple, don't know what you prefer. You can still get 16x20, 8x12, 14x14 and 16x16 in RC. The biggest drawback: only 2 colors to choose from unless you place a custom order.

Last edited:

20x16 virgin kick
16x16 floor
14x14 floor
12x8 rack
Maple shells.

Sounds pretty reasonable right. I'm not looking for a crazy Peart kit in funky configs, I'm just looking for some basic drums in some pretty standard sizes. I don't think its too much to ask.

I am a Yamaha guy, so lets go over our options starting with the Tour custom.

Kick is the weirdest size of all time: 20x17.. what? plus no virgin option. rack tom is 12x9. And Color/wrap options are limited at best..

Then I'm left with the most expensive Absolute option, which is great, but I'm not made of money. The 16" and shallower kicks have no virgin option, but the 18" and depper do...? why? Then the floor toms and at unheard of depths... 14x13? 16x15? why chop of the extra inch?.. in all honesty, the 1 inch on the floor toms doesn't bother me that much, its not a deal breaker, I just find it extremely weird.

Pearl is the same story for their Vision kits: configurations are no help at all. (does Pearl even sell a kit with a 12x8 rack tom?)

The only real option with Pearl is getting a Masterworks, but I don't like the way Pearl drums look, and I'm not going to pay $1000-$3000 per drum for a kit I don't like.

I just don't know what to do. Realistically, I'm considering dropping the virgin requirement and going with an Absolute. I'd be alright with the 12x9 rack on the Tour Custom IF the kick wasn't 17 inches deep.

I don't know guys, should I just man up and get the Absolute? get over myself and get the Tour Custom? go to C&C or the like? or screw big business and make the kit myself with some Gladstone shells? I'm not a professional/touring drummer, yet I see this kit as the one kit I'll have for the rest of my life. In other words I don't want to buy another kit, so it needs to stand the test of time, and more importantly I don't want to settle.

I've been looking at kits and my options for a whole year now, and as much as I love looking at drum gear, I'm ready have something picked out. I won't be buying anything anytime soon, because I need to save. Anyway, let me know what you think I should do.

Drop the virgin thing. One basic kit ( for life ) ? Time to man up. Go Absolute. Its a remarkably good sound drum.

You'll be fine removing the YESS and using RIMS. I've done that myself; I'm not a fan of YESS mounts. I was asking about price, since you were sort of balking at the price of Absolutes.

I don't see an issue. If you can go without the virgin kick, and money isn't an issue and you have to have Yamaha, and you want a kit that you can play for 40 years, then order exactly want you want. You'll be very happy.

By the way, you might want to look at the Recording Customs, if you like birch. Birch is brighter than maple, don't know what you prefer. You can still get 16x20, 8x12, 14x14 and 16x16 in RC. The biggest drawback: only 2 colors to choose from unless you place a custom order.

I like the concept of the YESS mounts, I have just heard they fall apart and choke the drum. How did you switch over to RIMS, did you take the YESS mount off the shell too?

I have thought about birch, but Maple to me is so much better, I can't pass it up.

Definitely dropping the vrgin kick. After thinking about it some more, its much more practical to get a slut kick.

I think I'm going to get a 10" tom too just in case I ever want one.

I really don't get your thinking. You cringe at the idea of a 17" deep kick drum, yet crave for a square floor tom, why? What is it that turns you off an extra inch on a kick drum, yet has you convinced an extra inch on the floor tom will be a postive thing. Don't believe everything you read about deep vs. shallow drums. Much of it is in the bearing edges, shell construction, head selection & tuning.

"I think I'm going to get a 10" tom too just in case I ever want one" Well, if you want to put your money into quality, why water that down with excess quantity.

The only thing to really concentrate on is trying some of these kits out. Now that really is money well spent.

I like the concept of the YESS mounts, I have just heard they fall apart and choke the drum. How did you switch over to RIMS, did you take the YESS mount off the shell too?

I have thought about birch, but Maple to me is so much better, I can't pass it up.

Definitely dropping the vrgin kick. After thinking about it some more, its much more practical to get a slut kick.

I think I'm going to get a 10" tom too just in case I ever want one.

To switch to RIMS, you take the entire YESS mount off. You just remove the batter head and two nuts and its off. You have to take the YESS assembly apart, because you need to use the mount part with the RIMS bracket (RIMS come without mounts-you add mounts specific to your brand of drum). You may need to buy some additional stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers and lock washers to attach a Yamaha mount to each RIMS mount. Buy the thickest bolts that will fit through all of the holes. It will leave 2 small holes in the shell. No big deal; put the plate of the RIMS over that section of the shell.

I would get the 10" just to have more flexibility, if this is going to be your lifetime kit. The 8x10 Yamaha is one one of my favorite drums.

RC shells for europe:
F1CFB7BFCD2F4FE9A01D2DEDB541F119_12074.jpg

RC shells for US:
Recording Custom Components
Colors: B = Solid Black, CW = Cherry Wood

Bass Drums
BD-918YJ 18" x 14"
BD-920YJ 20" x 14"
BD-922YJ 22" x 14"
BD-920Y 20" x 16"
BD-922Y 22" x 16"
BD-924Y 24" x 16"
BD-920YT 20" x 18"
BD-922YT 22" x 18"
BD-924YT 24" x 18"

Toms
TT-908YJ 8" x 7 1/2"
TT-910YJ 10" x 7 1/2"
TT-912YJ 12" x 8"
TT-913YJ 13" x 9"
TT-914YJ 14" x 10"
TT-908Y 8" x 8"
TT-910Y 10" x 9"
TT-912Y 12" x 10"
TT-913Y 13" x 11"
TT-914Y 14" x 12"
TT-915Y 15" x 13"
TT-916Y 16" x 14"

Floor Toms
FT-914Y 14" x 14"
FT-916Y 16" x 16"
FT-918Y 18" x 16"

But what's wrong with 17' depth? On the Oak line I loved it.

I love the the 14'' on the RC to. I have a 20x14 with mount from the late 70's and in the running for a 26x14 without mount)

My 10x8 and 12x8 toms have the pre-Yess mounts witch I like very much on the RC.

When the 26'' arrives im only using the 12'' (and looking for an older 18'' as well)

If i'm not mistaken Yamaha stopped the custom orders a while a go because of the financial misery and not having enough man power to vouch for the quality Yamaha is well know for.

But the ''R'' option is a standard for the higher lines if i'm right.

I don't know why, but odd number drum sizes just get to me... For instance I don't like the sound of 13" toms, or 13" snares. Even numbered sizes are just pleasing to me. Same goes for the 20x17, but in addition, 17 is just a weirdo depth. I really don't get it. There are so many great sounding 20x18s and 20x16s. Why use this unorthodox depth?

I think the reason why I think all the stuff is weird is because I'm sort of a drum traditionalist. 12x8 is a traditional tom size. Traditionally, floor toms were square, thats why I have my heart set on square floor toms. I know the one inch hardly matters, I just bothers me that Yamaha changed their floor tom sizes seemingly for no reason. All their previous high end lines had square floor toms. Why fix something thats not broken?

Call me crazy, whatever, I know I am. I just have my mind set on something and I'm slow to change it. I love Yamaha shells, hardware, name, and service, so I know whatever I end up getting will be great. I just have to decide. It the paradox of choice.

I got Yamaha Tour Customs and they are nice drums but not the best drums out there. If I were you I would look for Mapex Saturns. Almost same priced but they have some better features and they are made out of North American maple + walnut. Saturns have bigger variety of finishes aswell!

Happy hunting!

I actually can sympathize with you. I just went through the same thing with my Ludwig Classic Maples. The preconfigured offerings from ludwig were also pretty wacky in regards to shell depths. I ended up having to completely custom order my 20x14, 10x8, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16 configuration.
I understand that what might not seem like a big difference to most people can just irritate the hell out of you in the end. Drum purchases are a big commitment...especially when you are dealing with higher end gear. This is going to be your musical voice for many years, you should be able to get exactly what you want.
If, for some reason the Yamaha purchase doesnt work out for you, I highly recommend the Ludwig Maple classic line. Completely custom drums for a very reasonable price...my newest kit cost me just a little over $2000...a far cry from Yamahas' sticker prices.

+1 on the Yamaha Absolutes. I bought a Tom set of Nouveau Absolutes, and they blew all the other sets at the store away. Granted, the Nouveau's are 1 ply thinner than the absolutes, but both sound incredible, IMO.

I tried the Absolute kick also, and it sounded great. Like you said, 22x16 & 22x18 sound great, think of the 22x17 as a hybrid between the two. It's not going to mess up the sound or make it "un-even"

Back