Derek Roddy here!

Hey Derek,
My name is Brandon Braun, I have a question about double bass control.
I reached 16ths at 210 about a week and a half ago, I was sort of shocked because i don't spend as much time on double bass as I do on latin and jazz. I have the problem of starting up, creating enough force to start right up, maybe not right at 210 but maybe 180 or 190 until I really get comfortable with 210. It takes me about a measure until everything locks right into place, any suggestions?

Oh yeah, the transitions.
That's the hardest thing about DB playing. Coming in....full force, in tempo and strong.
It's a balance issue....use your left foot as much as possible. If you can execute with your left....you should be using it, if you want to play DB.
There's no secret to it.....just takes time. At least you're aware of it.
If you're aware....you can correct.

Cheers,
D.

Hey Derek! I have a question...

How do you increase your left foot speed? I'm pretty good at Double Bass work but sometimes my left foot wont push the pedal down all the way! Thanks!

Same thing....just use it more.
The more you use it.... the more it gets used! Haha.
Meaning.... the more developed it will be...making it stronger, faster, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Time spent...that's all.
Play all your favorite songs with your left foot instead of your right.
That will get you there the quickest.

Cheers.
D.

"have to say man your book has completely changed my life."

D. Thanks for taking the time to give some great advice. But... what's this about a book? Where do I order it from, and, like, does it have a title?? lol

Haha... the book is called "The Evolution of Blast Beats". And, it's available through Hudson Music.

Cheers.
D.

Haha... the book is called "The Evolution of Blast Beats". And, it's available through Hudson Music.

Cheers.
D.

I saw your book at GC a couple months ago. I was sooo tempted to buy it, but I was wondering if it taught you how to actually blast fast in the first place? Thanks Derek.

-Connor

D. check it out. Hudson wont have the book until the end of Dec. Amazon... no luck either. Music sumthin or other also don't got it. Hot man, very hot. Either that or it ain't been released by the publisher. Well... I guess I'll just have to wait then. Even though I don't play dmetal nor have an interest too, your tutorial quickies on youtube have inspired me and I'll look forward to the book/cd... whenever that might be... hope i live that long...

Dear Derek,

What do you think about the Sonor Delite drums?

I currently own an S-classix and love the kit very much, but I'm planning to buy a Delite kit in the near future. What is your opinion about the Delite versus S-classix?

Best regards
Wim,
Belgium

Dear Derek,

What do you think about the Sonor Delite drums?

I currently own an S-classix and love the kit very much, but I'm planning to buy a Delite kit in the near future. What is your opinion about the Delite versus S-classix?

Best regards
Wim,
Belgium

I like them both equally. There are things about birch I love.... and things about maple I love. NOTHING about either I don't like.

I would suggest playing them both and seeing which ones appeal to you the most.

That said.....you can't go wrong with either.
I have both and find myself playing them each....just as much as the other.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
D.

D. check it out. Hudson wont have the book until the end of Dec. Amazon... no luck either. Music sumthin or other also don't got it. Hot man, very hot. Either that or it ain't been released by the publisher. Well... I guess I'll just have to wait then. Even though I don't play dmetal nor have an interest too, your tutorial quickies on youtube have inspired me and I'll look forward to the book/cd... whenever that might be... hope i live that long...

Haha...yeah, it's out but, I believe Hudson had to re-order more. They're selling really good.
Try Guitar center.... if you have one around. They stock them.

Thanks a bunch for the kind words....hope I can continue to inspire you.

Cheers,
D.

Hey Derek, have you ever thought of entering the WFD competition? I think you'd do pretty well in the battle of the feet and hands.

At the very beginning of the WFD, I had expressed interest in doing events in my local shop. After I did a few and realized what the kids (who were participating in it) were getting out of it.......I decidied it wasn't for me to promote.

Not my thing.

Yes, I'm fast and all that....but, I believe.... being fast means nothing without music to back it up.
Otherwise, it's just notes on a pad.

Cheers,
D.

I like them both equally. There are things about birch I love.... and things about maple I love. NOTHING about either I don't like.

I would suggest playing them both and seeing which ones appeal to you the most.

That said.....you can't go wrong with either.
I have both and find myself playing them each....just as much as the other.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
D.

Thanks, for the reply Derek!

Kind regards,

Wim

At the very beginning of the WFD, I had expressed interest in doing events in my local shop. After I did a few and realized what the kids (who were participating in it) were getting out of it.......I decidied it wasn't for me to promote.

Not my thing.

Yes, I'm fast and all that....but, I believe.... being fast means nothing without music to back it up.
Otherwise, it's just notes on a pad.

Cheers,
D.

i know what you mean. I was just curious. When I first started playin drums i just wanted to be fast, now I'm mostly all about playing the best drums I can to the music, wether its fast or not. But i had a couple other questions.

First one is, what music do you generally like to listen to most?

And my other question was, can you still play heel-up on the Axis Longboard pedals or are they mainly for heel-toe? I was curious about getting them, but i dont know how to play heel-toe or the heel-up/heel-down type technique. So my question is, can you use the heel-up technique on Axis Longboards or only heel-toe?

hi derek. you are killer drum!! I saw this flat foot technique that you are promoting (powerfull). I just wana ask you do you use it when you play double stroke with your feet or is it heal toe then;););)

Hi Toza,
I play heel up all the time.
Flat foot is not a "technique" as much.......but, a definition.

What mean is....if I'm sitting at a desk.....and "playing" DB....I run....sitting down.

This makes the entire surface of my foot, hit the ground at the same time (Flat footed).
Now, when you apply that to a pedal (DB pedals have an angle) the motion doesn't change....making the stroke on the pedal...heel up.
Because, the heel of your foot to the bridge of your foot, and then the angle back from the pedalboard....makes a triangle...with your heel off the ground.
All in all...every stroke I play is heel up but, playing from the hip.
I'll take a picture later with my foot on the pedal so you see what I mean.... if it's not clear.

Cheers,
D.

Hi Toza,
I play heel up all the time.
Flat foot is not a "technique" as much.......but, a definition.

What mean is....if I'm sitting at a desk.....and "playing" DB....I run....sitting down.

This makes the entire surface of my foot, hit the ground at the same time (Flat footed).
Now, when you apply that to a pedal (DB pedals have an angle) the motion doesn't change....making the stroke on the pedal...heel up.
Because, the heel of your foot to the bridge of your foot, and then the angle back from the pedalboard....makes a triangle...with your heel off the ground.
All in all...every stroke I play is heel up but, playing from the hip.
I'll take a picture later with my foot on the pedal so you see what I mean.... if it's not clear.

Cheers,
D.

Thanx derek..hmm....Im impresed that you are trying to get away from triggers:) This sounds powerfull. I play heel toe.. I would like to see pictures of this "definition" ;) if it's not a problem. Btw.I watched george kolias clinic and he is talking how he uses different technique for each foot (for balace). Is this wrong???;)

Just wanted to give my thumbs up to Derek Roddy for posting in here.

He has taken his time to help us drummers. His advice is awesome and I've incorporated some of his suggestions into my practice routine (going 2 hits from the bd to the hat and back, then doing para diddles off the two that he mentions in an earlier post).

We're damn lucky to have such a brilliant drummer offering his pearls of wisdom. It can only make those of us reading better.

Anyway, Derek doesn't have to do that, doesn't even have to post, but he does and I want to thank him for it.

I will also keep an eye and ear out for anything he does not just because I value his talent and knowledge, but because he seems like an a-ok dude.

Btw.I watched george kolias clinic and he is talking how he uses different technique for each foot (for balace). Is this wrong???;)

I'd say.... if something is working for you.........it's not wrong.
Sometimes the simplest answer..... is often the one most overlooked.
Cheers,
D.

Just wanted to give my thumbs up to Derek Roddy for posting in here.

He has taken his time to help us drummers. His advice is awesome and I've incorporated some of his suggestions into my practice routine (going 2 hits from the bd to the hat and back, then doing para diddles off the two that he mentions in an earlier post).

We're damn lucky to have such a brilliant drummer offering his pearls of wisdom. It can only make those of us reading better.

Anyway, Derek doesn't have to do that, doesn't even have to post, but he does and I want to thank him for it.

I will also keep an eye and ear out for anything he does not just because I value his talent and knowledge, but because he seems like an a-ok dude.

Thanks man.....I appreciate that comment.

I think that was a big part of what Bernard wanted to create here. I'm happy to be here and also happy to help out fellow drummers.
I live for that.

Cheers and thanks again,
D.

Back