Pearl Throne Thumper

Up2Speed

I am looking for feedback on the Pearl Throne Thumper. I have not been able to find much information about it. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think people thump thrones anymore. Do they?
Some do - e.g. Gavin Harrison. He's using a UK high end (and high priced) product, I've forgotten the manufacturer but this can be found on his thread here on DRUMMERWORLD.

Before actually buying a sub kick system I'd try it out - it might come across as a great tool in ads but not really work out for everybody in reality.

EDIT
Here's the system Gavin uses:
http://www.porteranddavies.co.uk/

On his "Methods and Mechanics II" DVD, Todd Sucherman explains that he personally doesn't like throne shaker systems but rather prefers a monitor placed effectively so he hears/feels the low fequencies going on. There's several ways to get "more bass".

Some do - e.g. Gavin Harrison. He's using a UK high end (and high priced) product, I've forgotten the manufacturer but this can be found on his thread here on DRUMMERWORLD.

Before actually buying a sub kick system I'd try it out - it might come across as a great tool in ads but not really work out for everybody in reality.

EDIT
Here's the system Gavin uses:
http://www.porteranddavies.co.uk/

On his "Methods and Mechanics II" DVD, Todd Sucherman explains that he personally doesn't like throne shaker systems but rather prefers a monitor placed effectively so he hears/feels the low fequencies going on. There's several ways to get "more bass".
I have & regularly use the BC throne, the same model Gavin uses. It's totally different to other thumpers that attach to thrones. The standard stuff is developed from surround sound seating systems, whereas the BC2 is a bespoke development for drummers. It responds precicely to the input from your bass drum mic. It even reproduces the tuning & exact sustain & dynamic reponses of your drum. It really is like hearing the real thing after a short time of adjustment. Tactile monitoring is so useful to me. Superb on stage without the need to increase stage volume, & gives you as much punch as a 2K drum monitor system, but without the bulk & cost.

P&D have just released a lower priced system. Same quality & power, but with fewer features that most players won't use, such as phantom power & aux inputs.

Because the tactile monitor system is built into the special throne seat, it's so much better than bolt on thumpers. Completely different level of response.

You get what you pay for. The BC2 is touring pro flight cased gear, & it shows. When you add it all up, it's no more expensive than putting a thumper on a standard throne (many have to use two units) & buying the power amps to go with it. The BC2 unit has a 1k aplification module, & special bulb system to eradicate overload/overheating issues.

I can't praise this product highly enough, & I can put you in touch with the P&D guys if you wish. If you don't have a local distributor, they sometimes do direct artist pricing at an attractive level.

I've been extremely happy with my ButtKicker over the last several years, although I'm going to check out the BC2 at NAMM. It's smart to be aware of what's out there.

I tried the Pearl thumper at NAMM 2 years ago, and was very disappointed. Either they had both demo units set-up incorrectly - a possibility - or they're truly terrible (also a possibility.)

Bermuda

My biggest concern is that it is not powerful enough. It is made by Butt Kicker and apparently it is a smaller, less powerfu version of the one they sell under their name. Supposedly Eric Singer and Mike Mangini use them on tour......

If they're using a ButtKicker, it's the "concert" model, not the computer gamer model that clamps to a chair (or throne post in this case.) If the Pearl is a ButtKicker model, it's certainly not the good one!

There's just no, pardon the expression, half-assed way to approach a thumper. It either thumps well, or it's useless.

I'm interested to see how the BC2 fares, although right up front, I don't like round throne seats. :(

Bermuda

Back