Pre Workout..

Hi, I think as a drummer it's good to work out so you can be extra strong and not be, you know not in shape (Plus in sets when you take your shirt off you can show off a six pack lol). Anyways is it ok on bigger sets or longer sets to take pre-workout? I mean when you workout you take pre-workout to boost efficiency, strength and focus. So theoretically may help with performance. Am I going to far by doing this? Would it be dishonest in terms of skill? What do you guys think?

Ah, don't be one of those douchebags that takes his shirt off.

Virgil has always been a fitness and nutrition nut but someone that plays as long and hard as he does would need it. I'm in a bit of a couch potato phase right now and I have no trouble knocking out 3 hr sets. I was a gym junkie in '11/'12 and tbh I notice no difference in my longevity since then, well, if anything I'm better now.

If your drumming focus is how your six-pack looks, then it's not your body that needs a workout. But if you decide to do that make sure you completely cover your upper body with tattoos.

If your drumming focus is how your six-pack looks, then it's not your body that needs a workout. But if you decide to do that make sure you completely cover your upper body with tattoos.

that sir was brilliant!!! I can't stop laughing.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I thought I hit the submit reply button but guess not lol. So anyways loved the Travis Barker remark! Was kidding about the whole shirt thing cause I play mainly for my church and you know... probably not a good idea lol. But yeah I'll track the next few weeks with and without pre-workout and let you guys know how it goes!

Over the years, I have been very involved in bodybuilding, healthy lifestyle, etc.... Not professional, just for my own benefit. This guy would NEVER use a tanning bed, or body glo...

I use/have used pre-workout supplements over the years, before lifting weights and before running distance running. Most contain caffeine so they obviously can give you energy. But I believe that the original poster is referring to the "focus" that they can give you.

I have taken these before playing drums before, accidentally sort of. With limited time, I'd take a pre-workout drink as I leave work so I can go to the gym afterwards. Sometimes, after taking it I would decide that I needed to practice drums (or troublesome parts of songs) that particular day instead of working out. This has happened in the past 18 months....I have an 18 month old so my time is VERY limited. Drums OR gym in a day, and rarely both.

I have noticed MUCH more focus on learning songs, technique etc when I have taken it before practice... But I would not rely on these before a show or anything. They are meant to be a supplement for intense physical activity. Although some may argue that drums are intense physical activity, it's probably not what the supplements were intended for.

Pre-workout supplements. Gives your body some fuel to burn while working out without adding extra carbs and sugar. Kind of a big deal for the meathead gym rats.

As far as taking it before drumming, I guess its better than my usual pre-gig beer and cigarette routing, but Im not sure you are going to burn enough while playing to not just be adding calories to your diet. After years of drumming your body is so used to that movement you are no longer building muscle. There is a cardio workout that you get after hours of playing, but pre-workouts are more for muscle building. Not sure if its going to help, but hey, give it a shot.

Agreed. If you cant practice or drum effectively without supliments you may need a doctor.

You know what improves your drumming? Practicing your drumming.

I can't think of any style of drumming (even extreme metal) that requires a dedicated workout routine like say, playing Rugby would. No harm in 'limbering up' and warming up your body at all but drumming is not athletics.

I don't want to be pumped on pre workout with my face tingling like hell. It's designed for weight lifting to give you a boost to get your adrenaline and testosterone going. I like to be chilled when I get behind the kit.

The best warm up for a gig is get your hands fast and loose with a pad and some sticks.

Trust pre-workout will do nothing for your drumming!

Everybody's playing it cool on not knowing wtf "pre-workout" is...

Googled it mate. I suspected it would be some form of wankery to distract a young player from what's really important, but thought best to check before replying.

Won't take him long to figure out it has very little impact on his ability to drum. But unlike a couple of lines of blow before a gig, as is the choice of many, it's certainly not gonna hurt him any either.

Last edited:
I would err on the side of caution with a pre-workout supplement. If you've used one before, then fine. I've always been caffeine sensitive, so they tend to make me feel jittery, sometimes with irregular heart palpitations... A few times I crashed real hard after a workout... so no more thank you. For me, pre-workout is not worth it. I get more worked up with music anyway.
If you're using it just to get "hyped", there are still other alternatives. Using a pre-workout for some kind of gain in drumming doesn't really make any sense. You will get everything you need out of a good diet, plenty of rest and a moderate fitness program. Stretching before playing may be beneficial for you. Also, I would be cautious not to become dependent on something in order to perform. It would be a tragedy if you felt like you "needed" a pre-workout before you performed or practiced. All the best.

Tattoo and six pack abs-the best of both worlds.

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 563
Back