crush sublime tour vs mapex saturn studioease

radiantchild

Ok guys I am in a bit of a dilemma. I need help deciding on which of these two kits to get. I have played both and I feel both play and sound great. A local guy at my drum shop told me the maple/walnut of the saturns was a marketing ploy and he actually dislikes this combo of woods. He said if it were him he would go with meridian's over saturns and crush over both the saturn and meridian. What are your guys thoughts? I priced a 6 piece saturn kit from a company out in Denver for 1399 shipped. That is just the shell pack. No stands. Thanks to any insight offered!

I am a Saturn owner and I am super happy with my drums, as are the majority of us who own them. can't comment on the Crush kit as i've never seen or heard one. If you want a great, modern sounding drum set, the Saturn is a brilliant value for money package.

The Saturn are a great sounding line of drums. I've liked the kits I have played on.
If you like a deeper overall tone, the Saturn Maple & Mahogany shells are a good way to go. The giant tom mount they use is waaay too much for me, but other than that, I enjoyed playing them when they were used on the back line. The "plain" Meridian or Horizon tom mount would be perfectly fine IMO.

The Crush Sublime Tour are sweet sounding too.
It's a Maple kit, so it'd work easily for anything IMO. These shells are really nice sounding, and didn't seem to ever choke played harder. All the hardware is nice and sturdy. I'm not usually big on re-ringed shells, but these sound super nice. These shells were pretty sensitive and sounded really good with the cheaper UT Coated heads, so I'd imagine they'd sound great with "real" heads. The bass drum claws also have little rubber dimples on the ends so if the drum ever needs to be set on the ground, or something rough, the metal doesn't touch the ground. That's a pretty cool feature.

Both kits felt comfortable to play, and were easily adjustable other than the Saturn's massive tom holders. I'd be happy owning either kit--I just wouldn't utilize the Mapex tom mount haha!

I own Mapex Saturns and am very happy with them. Haven't seen any crush kits so I can't comment. Couldn't say whether the walnut makes a difference and mine are even the special birch/walnut ones with double the walnut. They do sound bigger than they are maybe that has something to do with it or maybe that's just construction and bearing edges.
If you really like both kits I would check each drum in the sets, see if one has more drums that really sing out. If not go by which finish you like more, or all else fails maybe go Mapex because they are an older company that will still be around later.

If I didn't have the opportunity to check out both drums, I'd go with Mapex Saturns. In my (limited) experience, not a lot of drums sing as well as they do. With the right head choices, they can be extremely versatile and have tons of tone.

Of course, if you do have the chance to check them both out, then go ahead. I don't anything about Crush drums, but if they're in a similar price range with the Saturns, I'd go with whichever seems to stand out more.

Back