For you drum re-storers/re-builders

If it's actually lacquer, the crack can be sanded out, and lacquer applied over it, and then smoothed and re-polished. Lacquer, unlike poly finishes, becomes part of the previous layer, so "fixing" mars, scratches, cracks, etc, is theoretically easier than dealing with damage to a poly finish.

The trick though is you need to find out specifically what lacquer was previously used. If it's truly a clear, nitrocellulose lacquer, that's pretty easy to do - you can use Deft lacquer. You also need to know how to polish a lacquer finish, i.e., wet sanding to level and polish, and then to do a final polish with something like 3M Swirl and Haze remover.

Here's another question. Is the lacquer cracked, or checked? Checking is hundreds of little cracks all over the finish. If that's the case, the only way to "fix"it, especially if there is a lot of checking, is probably to strip and refinish.

It says to use lacquer stripper and then a lacquer thinner.

Having done this a few times, the advise above is spot on.
You have to thin the cracked lacquer down enough to where sanding it isn't a chore and a half.
Once you've got it to that level, you can start the sanding process to get a nice smooth, even finish.
Then lacquer it to your desire.

Having done this a few times, the advise above is spot on.
You have to thin the cracked lacquer down enough to where sanding it isn't a chore and a half.
Once you've got it to that level, you can start the sanding process to get a nice smooth, even finish.
Then lacquer it to your desire.

Can you tell me what products you use? I’ve used a lacquer thinner before that claimed to be extremely none abrasive and formulated specifically to use on delicate woods and projects without the possibility of harming the drum

Long story short the thinner completely dissolved a lot of the glue in between the drum plys and the drum fell apart and was ruined

I love to do projects like this but now I’m scared to. Hand sanding takes too long, and I don’t feel comfortable putting a belt sander or anything to a shell. Any recommendations on products by name?

Thanks for the replies - it gives me hope that at least it can be done. I've even checked in with my personal drum-re-builder and he says it's not that big of a deal, especially if I want to keep the natural maple look, which means he'd just have to smooth it out and re-lacquer the kit.

Why does this come up you ask?

Well, there's a Pearl Reference kit with my name on it and all I know right now is that the lacquer is checked. So this is a good opportunity to experience a full-blown Reference kit (not the Reference Pure, which I had) for little or nothing. If I only pay shipping and my drum rebuild guy for a re-finish, it's a steal. It doesn't come with a snare drum, but I can get one of those 20-ply monsters. I saw a video of someone with a 6.5x14 and that video sounded pretty killer. Short of getting a Masterworks kit, this is the next best thing - and for the price, why not?

Obviously this is down to personal preference, but having a vintage instrument with checked lacquer is a highly desirable thing to many people.

Obviously this is down to personal preference, but having a vintage instrument with checked lacquer is a highly desirable thing to many people.

Was going to say the same thing, if it is checked. Wondering what it actually looks like. Is it cracked where you can chip some of the finish off like this?
5446571897_07b0a4b033_b.jpg

Or is it like this:
73d35heat07.jpg

Denatured alcohol (dna) will soften lacquer.

It's used in colored furniture restorer.

It can smooth old finishes by letting it soak in and buffing.

If you plan on removing the finish, it's worth a try with the dna because it might make the cracks less noticeable.

I remember back in the day I saw a reference kit in a showroom with cracked lacquer. A lot of snares had cracking as well. I think maybe they just layed it on too thick. Oh how I wanted that reference kit though.

I remember back in the day I saw a reference kit in a showroom with cracked lacquer. A lot of snares had cracking as well. I think maybe they just layed it on too thick. Oh how I wanted that reference kit though.

I’m guessing that’s what happened at the factory. I’m getting anxious to see them. The cracking may work for me ;)

Back