Analogue to digital - the journey begins.

The main cover band I’m in (11 piece with horns) went digital a couple of years ago. Took a while to tweak everything, but now its graat - switch it on and we all have the same foldback mix as last gig, the EQ’s and effects are recalled, etc. We’ve now got settings for each of the regular venues we play, recalling output EQ’s, etc.
We each have a phone app to adjust our own foldback mix if required. (We still use wedges though)

Sold the multicore, set up the mixer on stage and move through the audience with an ipad.

Overall, very successful, but took a dozen gigs to get really happy with the sound. Now it saves so much time and we get a consistent, highly produced mix every time.

We're talking digital mixer here, right? The upside is huge while the downside is negligible at best. The pre amps are still analog so buy the board with the best pre amps that you can afford. On board digital effects, eq, tracking, mapping, storage etc, etc. A digital board with boutique pre amps combined with powered mains, subs, and monitors is the way to go. Embrace the now!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 105
Lots of things that are easily accessible on analog mixers are buried in menus on digital mixers..
'Scenes' (presets) are helpful. I'm not familiar with any of the new fangled pad type management systems.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies!

1st up - worry not - zero chance of Edrums - ever.

We're happy with our powered speaker gear - no changes needed there, although the wedges will eventually go once we're happy. It's a change to digital desk, personal monitor mixes, & simultaneously, IEM.

Rather than using phone or tablet apps for personal monitor mix, we're using the A&H ME500s daisy chained using cat5, but we are setting up a WiFi hub to take a tablet FOH. We'll run the desk out front for a few gigs before letting the tablet take over for FOH tweaks.

I've been working my way through the A&H QU16 desk quite nicely. A few challenges on routing effects on channels talking back to the ME500s, but now overcome. We're running a couple of "setup rehearsals" before putting this out for real.

Back