What drummers need for a gig

I like a carpet cut to the size of the space I need for the drums when they are set up. It is the first thing I put down and everyone can see it and decide if the placement is right or needs to be moved. So much easier than moving everything 2 feet over after set up.

The plastic laminating sheets lasted me a week. I just used one layer. I wanted to see how long it would last me, so I left it on till it failed. If you bury the beater, maybe use 2 sheets. No gum up problems with them either.

I think snare heads go with people who hit down into them as opposed to rimshot or near rimshot parallel hits. Often folks who sit up high with the snare down between their legs in a position where they couldn't hit a rimshot if they needed to. I've never busted one either. But it's such a vital thing, that I'm prepared.

In my guitar days I had a spare guitar on stage in case a string broke and a small SS amp head in my gig bag that had serviceable sound in case something happened with the primary tube amp. Along with cords, tubes, fuses, tools, etc.

If I'm doing more than just drums, like I've got the PA as well, I bring two flashlights. They always seem to be somewhere else when you want it.

Hihat clutch. Aside from my drums, cymbals and stool, I always bring one of these.

I was absolutely amazed to discover that it's possible to be landed with one that actually doesn't work on a shared backline kit but it turns out that yes, they do exist and it was a shocking gig as a result.

So yes - always have a space clutch just in case!

Here's what I take.....
Extra sticks , brushes and mallets.
Stick bag that goes around floor tom.
Hearing protection.
Spare snare drum.
Tool kit.
Towels.
Tape.
Cymbal bag.
Drum keys
Drum dial.
Drum bags.
Spare hi-hat and snare stand.
Small fan.
Bottles of water.

Came across a list on here somewhere and modified it for me. I don't always have all of this, especially the things at the very bottom. But it is a good checklist to go over when packing.

Extra Sticks
Snare head
Bass drum head
two drum keys
coaches tape
Spare kick pedal
Duct tape
gaffers tape
Fan
pencil
paper
charts
towel
rug
extra shirt and pants
flashlight small and big
plastic wire ties
earplugs
spare wing nuts
spare felt
spare cymbal sleeves
hardware case
cymbal bag
spare hi-hat clutch
Throne
Mics
CAbles
mixer
Personal headphone monitor
Headphones
earplugs
Ibuprofen
Hat

moon gel
drum cases
spare pedal spring
screwdriver pliers and vice grips
plumbers tape
spare snare wires

Last edited:
I always "over-prepare", probably too much, but it has saved my ass in the past. Normally I bring the following:

Rug
Extra Snare
Extra pedal
Hi-Hat clutch
Extra heads - I place a spare head in each drum case - it doesn't take up any more room than normal
Flash light
Extra keys
Leatherman
Duct tape
a ton of spare parts in my "Drum box" - here are a couple of pics

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Larry, I love the clear lamination paper fix - makes perfect sense

Back