Rehearsal Space?

ZootELoops

I am finding it very difficult to nail down a regular rehearsal space for my band. None of us have garages or basements we can use, so we are looking to find something (preferably at little to no cost) to set up and practice for a few hours/week. We have found a couple spots, but they are recording studios and cost anywhere from $35 to $70/hr with full equipment. We've looked on craigslist, local papers, internet search - everything is just very limited in this area.

We really don't need anything more than just a small space to play. I've asked around to different businesses that close at 5pm to see if we can borrow space and thought about maybe the local high schools, etc - but the main problem is we all live about an hour to 90 minutes away from one another, so what's convenient for one is a haul for another. Trying to find a centralized location is hard enough, let along space that would work.

Any suggestions?

Re: Rehearsal Space???

Really? No replies?

I think the reason for no replies is that not even you who are in the midst of the situation cannot get it nailed down...the only clue I could come up with is maybe a storage unit, when I was young my bud rented one to keep his drums in and he and the others would practice in there from time to time...do not know if they allow such things any longer???

Good luck on this issue; I am more thankful now for being a home owner not having to deal with such a predicament.

JIM

Yeah - I was looking more for creative suggestions than specific details. Perhaps there are other drummers who had the same problem in their area.
Thanks though..

I think the reason for no replies is that not even you who are in the midst of the situation cannot get it nailed down...the only clue I could come up with is maybe a storage unit, when I was young my bud rented one to keep his drums in and he and the others would practice in there from time to time...do not know if they allow such things any longer???

Good luck on this issue; I am more thankful now for being a home owner not having to deal with such a predicament.

JIM

Thanks a good suggestion. Guys have done that just for their drum set, and there's no one around to say "Turn that down." This is your central scrutinizing speaking . . .

...the only clue I could come up with is maybe a storage unit, when I was young my bud rented one to keep his drums in and he and the others would practice in there from time to time..
JIM
The storage units in my area for a size needed to hold my kit and 3 rigs along with the 5 bandmembers & climate controlled cost around $200/month.

I'm in a pretty similar situation right now. I can't have a kit where I currently reside. It's a pretty crappy situation with no obvious solution. The only thing that comes to mind is to get an electric kit or write songs with brushes if this problem can't be resolved in the near future (assuming that noise is your problem).

I'm in a pretty similar situation right now. I can't have a kit where I currently reside. It's a pretty crappy situation with no obvious solution. The only thing that comes to mind is to get an electric kit or write songs with brushes if this problem can't be resolved in the near future (assuming that noise is your problem).

Yeah, I have an e-kit that I use the majority of time, but it's nice to make some noise on my acoustic kit now and again. I usually only play it with brushes (or hot sticks) after 5pm, but no later than 8pm. During the afternoons when everyone is at work, I have no problems wailing on them full blast!
But I need a spot for my band, not so much for practice.

The storage units in my area for a size needed to hold my kit and 3 rigs along with the 5 bandmembers & climate controlled cost around $200/month.

Which is half of what we pay for my rehearsal room. You can't swing $40 a month?

You can't swing $40 a month?

For about 5 years, my band had a room, we paid $250 for 24/7 access. Split 5 ways. Easy. When that facility shut down, we moved to another location. Less in rent, but limited hours access. Towards the end of 5 more years, it was just me and my bass player, carrying the rent at $105 each. Would you rather spend $35-70 an hour, or $40 a month. Seems like you already have the "two most prevelent" answers to your problem, at your disposal already. You either rent a studio "by the hour" or you rent a storage unit "by the month".

Check with local churches. A lot of them have a music director or a choir etc...

How serious is the band? Pool together to rent a house with a basement. Find a place central to everyone so that home and band become the center.

This sounds awfully similar to my situation through out my entire life. I'm from a small town where drumming is considered a wasteful hobby. I've had difficulty finding places to play and even people to play with. Where ever I could play, I would. And often times have the cops called on me. I once rented a garage for $300 a month. I had that for a year. Sometimes me and some friends would get a generator and drive up into the mountains by our houses and jam for a while. But yeah, it's rough, you just need to know people who know people who have connections. Keep your eyes peeled for places that have a "for rent" or "for sale" sign in the window while your driving. Best of luck to ya, man.

Find a decent place to rehearse is often tough.

Sometimes the places that offer space aren't always in the best parts of town. And the ones that are nice have found they make more money renting by the hour than the month.

But if you want it bad enough, you make it happen. If the band isn't willing to kick in for rehearsal rent, I tend to question how much they really want to be a band.

I now have my own sound proof room, but it's was expensive to built to say the least.

Music Cave Studios will be open for business by June of 2014 in Ashburn, VA. They are going to be a practice facility offering 13 rooms for monthly rent to bands. Climate Controlled, 24/7 secure access, plenty of parking, plenty of power outlets, sound proofed Studio, vending machines on site. You can find out more at https://www.facebook.com/MusicCave or on their website www.musiccavestudios.com

Masonic Lodges have lots of room and are very under utilized. Thats where we practice. 20 bux for as long as we want to bash.

F

Last edited:

Which is $1.33 a day each.

I know musicians are always broke but, I could pan handle a buck a day :)

Back