First Gig Blues

Do you want/need some confirmation? Okay, here it is:

'That gig shouldn't happen. It's not meant to be. People will suffer and taste will die.'

You're welcome.

Do you want us to tell you that everything will work out fine, in the end?

Then give us something to work with... For example: 'I happen to like these people/the music/the drama/etc.'

You're welcome.

PS If I would be in this band of yours and read this thread, say, five years after we'd conquered the world... well...

I'm not asking for confirmation or for someone to tell me it's going to fine. I'm just giving an update for those who care. In the end, it'll work it out, one way or the other...no need to be snippy.

Thank you.

...no need to be snippy.

D#mn internet. I don't know you, and here I sit being wise (sort of) and... probably... snippy.

My apologies.

And, more importantly: good luck and enough fun in your gigging endeavours!

PS My 'point' re: you 'venting' about your band people on-line is not entirely off the hook, though. D#mn internet.

D#mn internet. I don't know you, and here I sit being wise (sort of) and... probably... snippy.

My apologies.

And, more importantly: good luck and enough fun in your gigging endeavours!

PS My 'point' re: you 'venting' about your band people on-line is not entirely off the hook, though. D#mn internet.

Okay all forgiven. And I only rant here because I wouldn't do it anywhere else :)

Okay...so things are getting crazier by the second around here.
Sound like Rock 'N' Roll.​

.... says that a "friend" of hers has asked us to play this Saturday night (no details about venue, time, nothing) and that if she can get the new sound system in time we can use THAT as a PAID PRACTICE!?!?!?!?!?!.
Find out more info. If it's simply a backyard/house party ..... and a bunch of people think it might be cool to have a band there while they get wasted ..... well, it might be (at least) a practice. Then again, if the whole thing is more bother than it's worth, hey, it's a last minute call on their part. Just tell 'em you have other plans.​
As far as the gig in 10 days, just do your best and try to have fun. If anything, it's a learning experience. You very well might part ways with these people (and you'd be justified).​

One thing that's happening here that seems to happen often in web discourse is that previously-given info is forgotten. There should be no question that the gig is a goer. The band has previously been asked to return after playing at the venue with a lesser drummer.

It's obviously an easygoing crowd. It everyone manages not to chuck a Nellie on the the night of the gig and keeps up a party atmosphere it will go well.The party on Saturday will probably be a similar scene.

Having said that, playing with complicated people who don't listen or learn is ... character building ... which is a longer term consideration.

My 1.3c

Gosh Pol,

You've got 3 k to add to your 10 k (sorry Uncle Lar!). But I couldn't have said it better. It's not a first time gig for anybody except Mary.

Miss Mary-O,

Here on earth there is no 'perfect.' Get over it, and do your best. Worrying hasn't worked out for anyone. Your situation will work itself out - no matter how hard you try, something will go awry.

Listen to the big guns here - the folks you can trust. The best you have to offer is your 'best.' It changes from day to day - your're almost my age, and you know that.

Put away your fears. Do your best. On that day, at that time. Analyze what happenend. Then 'move out smartly' (like they say in the US Army). You'll know which direction to go.

Until I get your 'after action report', please know that I've got lots of confidence in your playing and your ability to 'adapt and overcome.'

Go for it, and have fun!

Best of luck, John

Gosh Pol,

You've got 3 k to add to your 10 k (sorry Uncle Lar!). But I couldn't have said it better. It's not a first time gig for anybody except Mary.

Scary, isn't it? :) 54 posts and you sound like a veteran - excellent lurking, John!

I agree re: the party. When I think of some of the sloppy, caterwauling, brain dead outfits I played with in my teens that somehow managed to raise cheers from the audience I learned that at parties people are just glad to have some vaguely loud and upbeat RnR-like noises being made, especially when the songs are well-known.

The punters just want the band to party with them and to put the party event ahead of the band's Big Gig. Between songs announcements on behalf of the host or about other things happening in the party go down well. As do jokes. The last thing they want is a band that takes itself seriously and has obvious internal vibes going on. Smile smile smile - be silly, laugh, have a rage. No one will be playing for sheep stations ...

A few serious young insect musician types (most likely taking refuge in the kitchen or skulking in the smokers' pariah area) may well silently judge the band's playing ability but that only matters if you're ambitious, and even then not necessarily.

Mary, the only thing you can do anything about is you. When starting out, you are going to find gigs with folks that are all over the map. It's the nature of playing music in public. Even at the 5 gig a week stratum, there are folks of all kinds. You do what you do and people will notice that. Sell the groove. Get toes tapping, heads bobbing and a few arses swinging. People will remember that there was this band that sounded like beginners, but the drummer sounded great and seemed to be having a good time. That leads to calls from better players, and so on.

There was a thread about some comments from Dave Grohl that people should just get some instruments and start playing them. And not worry about all the intricacies of it all. That he and some buds did that and did all right for them selves. I'm not sure I agree with everything he said, but it is a good point about getting in the water and swimming. That takes the learning curve of the formal studying you're doing way up there.

I have a woman friend who's learning drums and just hooked up with some other women, only one of which has any real gigging experience. She is actually the girlfriend of the guy who owns the Gretschs I'm playing in my avatar. He's teaching her to read and everything proper (he's a teacher and session guy by day) but she hooked up with these other women for the fun of it. Last weekend they did some tunes at a jam session and she was smiling like crazy even when they came in from a one bar break all jumbled. She said that she didn't let herself worry about it and just "owned" the song. She doesn't have any illusions about her playing, just that she decided to do the best she could do and not get uptight about it. I've seen her lock up before, but this time she just blew though the stumbles and pulled the rest of the band back on track. She was so jazzed about being in the zone it was great to see. It only gets better from here. And it will for you too.

Mary, just because someone buys a guitar it doesnt make them a guitar player. same with a microphone, it doesnt make them a singer. I know you want to do the gig and thats fine, it just sounds to me like the other really dont know how to play or understand music at all. I like to be the best one in a band when the others are great, not crappy. It sounds like this gig will crash and burn around you and you may not like that in the end. Tell them to shape up and learn an entire set ( whatever that time for this gig is) and practice it in order untill the gig. If you guys cant get it togeather, dont do the gig. Think of the audience, would you want to sit through a total train wreck? Yes bands screw up songs but a whole set?? It sounds a little like these girls think the novelty of being in an all girl group is all you need but its more than that, you need to perform. My niece is the bass player for an all girl group Hunter Valentine. They are on tour as the support act for Cindy Lauper right now. CHeck them out online and show your band mates how girls can play and maybe they can get their crap togeather.

Break a leg. Have as much fun as possible with cloths on. Hope and pray the others will rise to the occasion.

Peace and goodwill.

Mary, I bet you are going to be the strongest player there by a country mile. Your colleagues are very fortunate to have somebody who'll do her damnedest to hold things together.

Take advantage of the pre-gig gig. Gives you a good chance to work out the nerves for yourself and see how it'll be for the bar gig. It's a blessing in disguise.

I for one believe 10 mins of stage time is worth 10 hours of rehearsal.

Just get out there and play!

Mary about the pre gig gig.... I'd probably do it. Hey it's more gig experience for you. After the originally booked gig is a memory, then re-evaluate if you want to stick around or not. You never know, at crunch time, your band mates might rise to the occasion. It could happen. Meanwhile, there's probably more good points than bad to have a paid "dress rehearsal".

Just don't let them rope you into booking any other gigs until after the original gig is played. You have to re-evaluate things after the original gig.

Sorry Yankee cobbers. I fair dinkum stuffed it with the slang. Just taking a gander at the situation I reckon youse bastards would've known that "chuck a Nellie" mean "have a tantrum".

:)

Well Mary,

This thread really caught my eye as I am a fairly new drummer myself and am approaching our first gig (If you consider a kegger at my house that with a bunch of friends and family a gig) and we are two different ends of the spectrum.

I honestly can not wait to play. Mind you, we play mostly covers so far but do have 2-3 originals we have created (which is incredibly satisfying by the way). Ive always had a knack for the drums and my buddies encouraged me to get a set so I could play. I could never afford them until about a year ago so I took the plunge. As of two months ago, two of my buddies from high school and one of their friends came together to play(I am 25). It has been the most rewarding thing i've ever done. There is nothing quite like having fun with friends and playing cool music.

I guess what I am trying to say is try to get yourself in a situation that you enjoy ASAP. At the end of the day, that is what playing music is all about. Having fun, getting into the music, and hoping the people listening to you are enjoying the music.

That is the end of my rant!!!

Back