Hey Bermuda , did you see this ?

Yeah, a New York Daily News article started the whole thing a few days ago. If asked, I'm sure we'd do it. :)

Bermuda

Voted. Wouldn't that be a scream if this went all the way?
Jon, you did vote, right?

If you do this, just play Albuquerque. Best Halftime Ever.

Hmm, I guess I should vote...

Ah that would be awesome! Madonna was all kinds of lame. I am a huge fan of Al & Company. Seen 'em live several times. Wish it were more! The longevity is something that will never be duplicated in the genre.

Ah that would be awesome! Madonna was all kinds of lame. I am a huge fan of Al & Company. Seen 'em live several times. Wish it were more! The longevity is something that will never be duplicated in the genre.

Thanks, and not to be smug, but Al's longevity isn't seen that often in mainstream genres either.

How many groups have been together for 30 years, with the same members, still recording new music, and making hit albums? (Our last two albums were top-10 on Billboard's Album chart.)

I can think of only one off the top of my head: U2. I almost added Van Halen, but with Michael gone and DLR coming and going, they really don't count.

If you expand that to solo artists, it's obviously a longer list that includes the likes of Neil Diamond, Elton John, Paul, Ringo, Billy Joel, and I guess Madonna is right around the 30-year mark. Granted there are several more, although not all can claim hit albums this far into their careers. I'm not (necessarily) comparing Al to the top pop & rock stars of the last 30-40 years, but when you look at his career compared to most of them, he ranks pretty high.

Yeah, I'd be up for the Super Bowl. That would be almost as cool as being on the Simpsons!

Bermuda

I would LOVE to see this happen. And not just to see which Ludwig kit Bermuda would choose for the gig...

Please no dancers though. I was thinking hard about which bands have been 30 years together and still recording. Jeez...yeah, Rush! (and to think I beat Sticks to that answer!). This would be a nice thing. Let's get out the vote.

p.s. Favorite Al tune gotta be the classic "My Bologna". I laugh just thinking of the title :)

Oh no. It would work much better with big production value....dancers , costume changes , parodies of past superbowl performances and a big polka medley.
Jon , you looked some young back on the Tom Synder show.

Oh no. It would work much better with big production value....dancers , costume changes , parodies of past superbowl performances and a big polka medley.
Jon , you looked some young back on the Tom Synder show.

Exactly, top it off with an over obvious lip sync (as a parody to past SB performances).

Thanks, and not to be smug, but Al's longevity isn't seen that often in mainstream genres either.

How many groups have been together for 30 years, with the same members, still recording new music, and making hit albums? (Our last two albums were top-10 on Billboard's Album chart.)

I can think of only one off the top of my head: U2. I almost added Van Halen, but with Michael gone and DLR coming and going, they really don't count.

Can I add the "Rolling Stone" to that list...

Rush, yeah, Stones, no. The Stones haven't been "The Stones" since Brian Jones died in 1969. But they're coming up on 50 years as a band with 3/5 of the original members, so that certainly counts for something. Then again, they've already done the halftime show.

Unfortunately, Rush doesn't have a broad enough appeal to make them a smart choice. Don't forget, the Super Bowl has to reach everyone, or the sponsors get nervous.

So to recap, for bands, we have U2, and Rush.

Al's in pretty amazing company!

Bermuda

Wow I didn't realize Weird Al has always had the same members... I assumed since he was a "solo act" that the supporting musicians changed frequently...

Ohh.. and Rush hasn't always had the same members. They haven't been the same since John Rutsey left... that new drummer they have sucks ;)

Back