History of Rock Drum Medley

AJNystrom

Hi All,
I'm pretty new to this forum so I figured I'd introduce myself with a video. I realize posting this here is throwing myself to the wolves but, in a way, I'm looking for any and all comments, criticisms, and advice.

I got this idea from a Mike Portnoy drum clinic video (which I left at my parents' home in Massachusetts, I'm now in Texas). I know he included a lot of the same bands in his list but I've added some newer songs in here and forgot some of those that he included. I couldn't find any similar videos on youtube so I decided to post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9P6OTYZnOQ

I'd love to hear your comments and criticisms about it. It's not perfect in any sense (obvious gaffs in Good Times Bad Times, 6:00 and Honor Thy Father) but overall I'm satisfied with it... for now. Tuning needs some major help- I tried going with the overly muffled approach and it just does not work for me. It sounds decent to my ears from behind the kit but this was the first time I heard it on a recording and it WILL be changed tomorrow.

I appreciate all feedback- positive, negative, and indifferent.

~A.J.

OK I was able to pick out a bunch of songs from the first half of it but I didn't recognize anything from the 2nd half.

I got:

The Beatles "Come Together"
Ringos drum solo on Abbey Road
U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
Grand Funk's "American Band"
Led Zep's "Communication Breakdown"
Queen's "We Will Rock You"
The Knack's "My Sharona"
The Surfari's "Wipe Out"
Led Zep's "Rock and Roll"
Aerosmith's "Walk This Way"
Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight"
Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run"

I missed 2 or 3 in there but after the Steve Miller song, I didn't recognize anything.

Welcome to DW, nice playing.

Hi All,
I'm pretty new to this forum so I figured I'd introduce myself with a video. .......I'd love to hear your comments and criticisms about it. It's not perfect in any sense (obvious gaffs in Good Times Bad Times, 6:00 and Honor Thy Father) but overall I'm satisfied with it.......I appreciate all feedback- positive, negative, and indifferent.

~A.J.

Great to hear the songs you picked, pressed my brain to listen carefully to some of them. Others came to me instantly.

You have great balance and stability while playing...keep it up.

OK I was able to pick out a bunch of songs from the first half of it but I didn't recognize anything from the 2nd half.

I got:

The Beatles "Come Together"
Ringos drum solo on Abbey Road
U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
Grand Funk's "American Band"
Led Zep's "Communication Breakdown"
Queen's "We Will Rock You"
The Knack's "My Sharona"
The Surfari's "Wipe Out"
Led Zep's "Rock and Roll"
Aerosmith's "Walk This Way"
Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight"
Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run"

I missed 2 or 3 in there but after the Steve Miller song, I didn't recognize anything.

Welcome to DW, nice playing.

I'll give the first half since you pretty much nailed it all:
1) The Beatles (or Aerosmith)- Come Together
2) The Beatles- In The End
3) U2- Sunday Bloody Sunday
4) War- Lowrider
5) Grand Funk Railroad- We're An American Band
6) Twisted Sister- We're Not Gonna Take It
7) Led Zeppelin- Good Times Bad Times
8) Queen- We Will Rock You
9) The Knack- My Sherona
10) The Wonders- That Thing You Do (from the movie of the same name)
11) The Surfaris- Wipeout
12) Led Zeppelin- Moby Dick intro
13) Led Zeppelin- Rock and Roll intro
14) Led Zeppelin- The Rover
15) Aerosmith (or Run DMC)- Walk This Way
16) Phil Collins- In The Air Tonight
17) Steve Miller Band- Take the Money and Run

From there it starts getting into more current rock/metal I'm interested to see if anyone is willing to take a crack at some of them in the second half.

@720Hours: Thanks for the compliments. I've been playing for 17 years (26 y/o) and my instructor learned from the same guy- Billy Flanagan- that Steve Smith of Journey/ Vital Information learned from.

very nice, In "Were American band" you need to move around the kit during the intro but otherwise it was flawless.. I am trying to learn that on a single pedal but finding it very hard at the moment : )

very nice, In "Were American band" you need to move around the kit during the intro but otherwise it was flawless.. I am trying to learn that on a single pedal but finding it very hard at the moment : )

Interesting. I just did a little digging on this because I was lost as to what you were referring to. On the album version "Greatest Hits: Grand Funk Railroad" he only has snare and bass but live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsIrKjSM6Y) he would use snare + toms and bass.

I can do it with one foot but for ease of playing and comfort I used doubles for the riff on the video.

Thanks for the imput and keep the guesses coming everyone!

AJ

I heard
Rush - YYZ
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills
Metallica - Cyanide?
Metallica - One
Judas Priest - Painkiller

And that's all I recognized on that second half.

I just posted the full line-up on the Mike Portnoy forum so I'll follow up with it here. The second half is:

Rush- YYZ bells
Rush- Tom Sawyer fill
Rush- One Little Victory
Iron Maiden- Run to the Hills
Anthrax- Indians
Slayer- Raining Blood
Nickelback- Follow You Home
Liquid Tension Experiment- Paradigm Shift
Dream Theater- 6:00
Dream Theater- Under a Glass Moon
Dream Theater- Honor Thy Father
Avenged Sevenfold- Welcome to the Family