need suggestions for quieter playing

DO NOT use those rods or blasticks- they will make your drums lose all punch. And muffling the drums too much will make them lose their natural resonance. I would start using a light sticks like 7As. If you hit too hard with them, they will break- simple as that. I found that they substantially reduced my volume, especially when I choke up on em. As far as the bass drum, try swiching to heal down if you currently play heal up. Also, DW makes a beater that is designed for light playing.

You want to play quieter? Simple. Choke up on your sticks.

I really recommend finding a new place to practice, especially since you are playing rock/metal.

That would be the best way, yes. That's a bit hard to do especially with the way things are right now in this country.. and a large part of the rest of the world for that matter. Many of us have to work with what we've got for now.

Anyway, how would you recommend finding a practice space in any case? Where do they advertise this kind of thing? Craigslist just advertises for new band members in the "Musicians" section. I guess you gotta know somebody with something like this. Is it possible to get practice space for $100 a month?

Hi SomeKid.

I'd like to offer to you an article I wrote about this very issue about being too loud:

The Thing About the Neighbors

As you already know, some solutions are more expensive than others, but it also comes down to communication with those who would be affected by your playing. Don't forget to check the link at the end of the article for more tips. Good luck!

There's nothing quiet about drums so find a different room. Bed rooms are for sleeping.

Otherwise, you can try maple sticks not larger than 5A, small shells, thin and dark cymbals, a drum shield and playing heel down. That's as quiet as it will get without loosing rebound and tone. Still good for >90dB though.

What works 100% of the time are these relatively new on the market sticks and kick beater - few have heard of them, so far, but the good word is spreading - they are low volume, designed specifically for that purpose. There are two versions, one for the quietest play, one for quieter, low key gigs and practice - The website is at http://lidwishsoulutions.com/

A lot of people swear by them.

Back