My Supraphonic 6.5 x 14 sounds less than magical

slimjw

New drummer here and just got a really nice late 70's 6.5 x 14 Supraphonic that isn't sounding like "all that." Mainly, it doesn't seem to have the kind of snare sensitivity I expect or that I've heard on other Supras.

Wires are in good shape and appear to be the stock ones. Bottom head is a hazy ambassador that looks to be in fine shape and top is coated ambassador (top has a few miles on it, but not too bad).

Just doesn't have the crack and sensitivity I've heard on these. Sounds really flat. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do in order to get this thing sounding good? I'm just starting out and don't have experience with tuning, but my drummer friend tuned it up a little last night and it still doesn't sound great. I think the lack of snare sensitivity is my main complaint at this point.

Are your wires too tight? Is your bottom head too tight or loose? Try handing it off to someone else for tuning help. Also, what kind of wires are on it? Is your batter head fresh? What is it?

Try a new batter head. I use coated emperors over snare ambassadors, but perhaps stick with the coated amb batter for now...it'll just allow the drum to open up a bit more for you. New wires should help too. If you're after more snare sensitivity perhaps give the 42 strand snare wires a go. Also, check out tuning videos on youtube, for help with this process. Bob Gatzen has some great tuning tutorials there.

try this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs

I have two supra's (5 and 6.5 x 14) and can't sing their praise loud enough. Great drums with a huge tuning range. Play around for a bit and see how you go.

Best of luck man.

I'd replace both heads and install some new wires. Puresound makes some great wires.

Even if the heads look OK they do strech out over time and need to be retuned. The constant retuning takes it's toll on the head leaving it lifeless and dull sounding.

HTH

I love Puresound wires on my wood and fiberglass snares, but I always go for the cheap Gibraltar wires for metal shells. They just sound better to me. More sensitive and less choke.

I second the Gatzen videos. If those don't get you really close, then a head replacement is in order - and may be in order anyway.

Bottom head too tight will reduce sensitivity, but if it's been over-stretched, you won't be able to detune it because it won't resonate anymore.

Ian, as usual, shamelessly flaunts his wisdom (in a good way, of course!): I have Puresounds on my Supra, but as he says, they're not necessary. The cheap wires will help you retain that Ludwig sound better than the PureSounds, assuming that they still have all 20 strands and aren't otherwise thrashed. PureSounds won't hurt though, I like mine enough, but I wouldn't throw down for them again on this drum.

Lastly, make sure your wires aren't too tight, as this will choke the sound. For my snare, the best snare tension is just tight enough to make good contact with the head and no tighter.

I'll +1 on the new heads + wires. I'm a fan of 42s on ludalloy supras, less so on brass ones.

Two things that make this drum shine even more, IMO
- Rimshots
- A little (or a lot) of compression while recording. A little parallel compression will give you a sound you will recognize instantly.

I also think they sound far better tuned at a medium to low level; up high they lose their body entirely.

Thanks for the replies. Took the drum to a local shop and replaced the top head. Found a used set of Puresound 30's for 12 bucks and threw those on too. New head made quite a difference. Jury's still out on the larger snares, but it sounds better.

How do the different number of snare wires change the sound on these Supras? Like, what is the difference between the stock 20's and something like the 42's?

Make sure your heads are tight enough too. A lot of live drummers I hear tune their snares too low, and it aint cutting through like it could. Crank that reso up, but don't overdo it.

Thanks for the replies. Took the drum to a local shop and replaced the top head. Found a used set of Puresound 30's for 12 bucks and threw those on too. New head made quite a difference. Jury's still out on the larger snares, but it sounds better.

How do the different number of snare wires change the sound on these Supras? Like, what is the difference between the stock 20's and something like the 42's?

general rule of thumb is: more snare wires = less drum tone. less wires = more drum tone. on a shallower drum, i'd go with more wires, more sensitivity. not much tone to be had there, anyway. with my yamaha steel 6.5" though, 20 strand seems to do just fine.

I put 42's on all my snares--even the 5's.

It brings more life to the drum to my ears.

My top heads area bit more than med. tight, and the bottom heads are tight.
I keep the wires snug enough for soft playing (so no rattle) but loose enough for harder hitting (for no choking).

I had 20's on for years and years, but once I tried the 42's.....I wouldn't go back to the 20's.

I had to put a set of 20 on my Hammered 6.5 Supra a while ago (waiting for a new set of 42's because I put them on the new Acro), and I don't like the sound of it half as much as with 42's.

Might be a good idea to have someone play the drum while you stand back a ways too. Sometimes a snare can sound pretty tight sitting there, but you hear it off the kit, and it sounds too low.

Have fun with your snare!!

Back