First Concert

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Justin Beiber is coming to Dubai and I am taking my 8 year old daughter and her friend. Both are big fans. While my daughter grew up at folk music festivals (Regina, Calgary, Canmore and Winnipeg), this will be her first concert. My first concert was Nazareth in 1973 and I went by myself; my friends couldn't get tickets.

What was your first concert? Did your dad take you?

GJS

So you saw Nazareth before their big and only US hit "Love Hurts"? Love their version.

Mine was Kansas in September 1979 as 14 year old. Went with my older brother and a couple of his friends. Drank a beer in a city park near the arena. Funny, have seen the band twice in the last couple years. Much smaller venue but drummer Phil Ehart is even better today than 30+ years ago. Yamaha Beech Custom set... sweet.

Mine was Rush in '81 at the tender age of 14. I went just with a couple other 8th graders. No parents. Good times!

ZZ Top's Eliminator Tour in Nashville on my 15th birthday. Sammy Hagar was the opening act. My brother took me as my birthday gift.

KISS, 1980.

Yeah, yeah.....I know. But I was 8 and at that time every 8 year old thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. My old man took me......a fact he's no doubt still pissed about to this day.

Johnny Winter, at The Spectrum, Phila. PA. 1973, 9th grade. Long hair, army jackets, winebag (remember those?) and black hash in a long bowl made from a guitar slide, fully packed. A life changing experience, my first concert ever. Even then I was into the blues rock guys.

Other than school concerts the first one I remember was the bluegrass guitarist Mason Williams in about 1975. The first thing I went to on my own was the Oregon Jam festival in 1981 or '82. That had Joan Jett, Blue Oyster Cult, Foreigner, Loverboy, and some hapless openers called Taxxi. Joan Jett actually rocked and was by far the best. Loverboy seemed to have their bar band thing together and were entertaining even though I never liked them. Biggest disappointment was the canceled Iron Maiden concert in '83.

mine was ELO, Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. The Out Of The Blue tour. i was 10 years old, and had never smelled weed before. funny thing is, folks kept offering it to me during the show.

I guess I'm the old guy here.I was 13 and saw Cream at the Fillmore East in 67.Still one of the best shows I've ever been to.:)

Steve B

I guess I'm the old guy here.I was 13 and saw Cream at the Fillmore East in 67.Still one of the best shows I've ever been to.:)

Steve B

Yeah, that top's em all. And to MuffinMan, I almost read your reply to be "my folks kept offering it to me during the show.." Haha..

Mine was Rush in '81 at the tender age of 14. I went just with a couple other 8th graders. No parents. Good times!

I saw Rush when they were touring Fly By Night with their new drummer! Queen City Kids supported Rush.

GJS

Johnny Winter, at The Spectrum, Phila. PA. 1973, 9th grade. Long hair, army jackets, winebag (remember those?) and black hash in a long bowl made from a guitar slide, fully packed. A life changing experience, my first concert ever. Even then I was into the blues rock guys.

I saw Johnny Winter many years after you did and it was a fantastic concert. After the concert my friend gave one of the roadies a birthday card for Johnny's signature and he signed it. We never met him though. Instead of an autograph collection, my buddy has a birthday card collection!

GJS

Ok another show at the Fillmore East,was Johnny Winter "And",Edgar Winters" White Trash", BB King,and Albert King.....all on the same bill.

The hash was stuffed in my cigarettes,and wine bottle consealed in the sleeve of my suede fringe jacket.:)

Steve B

When I was 16 years, I went alone to Paul McCartney's Driving Tour Mexico 2002 at Palacio de los Deportes. Since then it has been like a tradition to me to go alone to the concerts, except two: U2 Vertigo tour 2006 with a friend & Metallica few months ago (I went with my girlfriend).

Paul McCartney, Dream Theater & X Japan went alone, and were a very good opportunities to meet very nice girls :D

Back