Jazz drum kit

jaysticks

Hi folks,

Through my research and study of kits with a suitable sound for jazz, I've narrowed it down to Canopus neo vintage m1, dw jazz series, gretsch brooklyn or gretsch usa custom, obviously in the bop sizes of 18x14, 12x8, 14x14. Are there any jazz players out there, who can offer advice based on their experience with different kits!I'm looking for a kit that kind be tuned up high with coated heads that has that melodic, tuneful tone. Any help, much appreciated!

Many thanks Anthony!

I actually saw a video of the new brooklyn bop configuration with 18x14 kick on some of the namm show videos on youtube, the one I saw was in a satin finsh, looked lovely.
The brooklyns obviously have a more ambient tone than the usa custom's, and are a little tubbier/rounding sounding, but I was under the impression that the gumwood maple combo, was the coveted jazz sound recipe?What's your thoughts on t he brooklyn versus usa sound?
Another question, having not owned a modern day Gretsch, but observing them in drum shops, what is your opinion on their build quality in comparison to say a company that's very consistent like Yamaha?I realise that modern day Gretsch shells are made by Keller, and they're high quality, and that the hardware is gibraltar based?

J

Bass drum 16", snare drum 14X5, rack tom 10" and floor tom 13". A small kit with a bit sound. $400. dollar shell pack, A ludwig BreakBeat drum set.

picture.php

I had Brooklyn's in bop sizes (realized I didn't need a bop kit). They were fantastic and very appropriate for jazz. Great drums for their price point. If you want more choices/custom options that the set Brooklyn config do not offer and are willing to spend a bit more, then the USA customs or DWs are both stellar as well. IMHO, I prefer the DWs and Brooklyns over the USA customs side by side. It's all about the hoops.

Gretsch invented the sound you're looking for (I love it, too), and you cannot go wrong with them. Dmacc has some clips up of his playing on his Gretsch kit and they sound impossibly good. I think they're Brooklyns (correct me if I'm wrong, D).

DW Jazz Series is a blatant, shameless copy of the vintage Gretsch drums. But they've done their homework and they are great-sounding drums.

I have a little Ludwig Classic Maple kit in bop sizes and I love it.

But Gretsch is Gretsch is Gretsch. If you want that sound, you should buy those drums. I'm waiting for an opportune moment to do the same myself.

Brady, yes I hear you on that one , if the new Luddies are good enough for Vinnie!I've heard good things about them, and they sound like well made maple drums on the youtube samples I've heard.

8 mile, you're spot on!The Grestch name is synonymous with Jazz in the drumming world, as Selmer is with saxophones. The Brooklyn's definitely have a bit more finesse to the sound than the usa's from what I've heard on the sound samples, and obviously have the name, I believe they're well priced too!

The Dw Jazz is a very smooth rendition of the old gretsch, and sounds really nice when Erskine and Billy Ward play them. I can imagine here in the UK the brooklyn being cheaper than the Dw!

As already emphasized here, to me Gretsch is king and Ludwig comes in next (though Ludwig is 1st place for some). Both equally magnificent drums.

....Dmacc has some clips up of his playing on his Gretsch kit and they sound impossibly good. I think they're Brooklyns (correct me if I'm wrong, D).

Thank you for the compliments Larry... Mine are actually the USA Customs for what I've posted most of the time here. Older posts with the fusion band I play with are the New Classics. My snare drums under both conditions are USA Customs.

I'd love to try out some Brooklyns some day but really don't feel the need to make the leap from the USA's. As the saying goes, when I play the USA's - "I'm home".

New Classics have the ability to get a vintage vibe/sound going but the real vintage sound & feel as the USA's do. The Brooklyn's from what I understand can accomplish the same as well. Things may have changed but from what I recall New Classics are less expensive than the Brooklyn's and USA's. USA's are the most costly.

Good luck on your decision!

Back