Tom Mounting Advice?

Hi guys right now i have a old Yamaha Rydeen kit and i want o mount my toms to the left of the bass drum.
Do you guys think i should i save up for the Yamaha Double tom stand or should i get one of the three hole receivers like the Pearl Ax38 or the Gibraltar Platform mount
Also any comments about even moving my ride beside the two toms if i did move them to the left of the bass drum. Do you guys/girls like your ride like that why or why not?
And i anyone has pros and cons list that would be awesome.
PS pics of my kit are not current just got a new Yamaha stand that is heavy and built like a tank.

Take the tom mount that currently goes into the bass drum and find a stand base that it fits into and use that to mount your toms on the side of the bass drum.

I used an old Tama hat stand base because the Tama bass drum tom mount had a 1 inch down tube that fit inside of the hat stand base. I cut the stirrup off of the old hat stand base. to make it more like a tom stand.
It cost me nothing to do this.

Moving the ride in closer is an advantage for me.

Attachments

• 0910001747.jpg
    0910001747.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,653
  • 0911001135.jpg
    0911001135.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,625
Your best and cheapest option would be to do what Bo Said. If you don't have a spare base laying around you could do a few things. You could buy a double tom stand, or buy two multi clamps and two tom holders and clamp them on to cymbal stand. Advantages of this set up are: Your ride is closer and lower, your toms are lower and closer. The only disadvantage I can think of is that your hi hats are going to be further away. I've played this way all my life. I don't know how the positioning of the hats are when the toms are actually on the kick. But it does look like that you could get them allot closer to you.

I prefer to mount my first two toms on a double tom stand like this (over to the left) mainly to get the ride cymbal in closer so that I don't have to reach for it, y'know?

Another reason is because I have a double bass pedal, and so it makes my kit feel like a double bass kit (where everything is basically centered around the snare). So, by mounting my first two toms over to the left of my bass drum, they are actually directly in front of me. ;)

So, for me it's also about maximum ergonomics. It allows me to have my ride much closer to me, and it allows me to center everything around my snare drum.

I moved my toms to the left about 15 years ago to make a square between my two most-used toms (lowest rack and highest floor), snare, and ride. I found I was using them, plus my hi-hats, for 90% of all the notes I played with my hands. It didn't make sense to put the low rack tom far to the right where it became inaccessible to my left hand. My ride technique has only improved because of this move.

Most tom mounts are either 7/8" or 1" down posts. Most cymbal stand tripods accept either 7/8" or 1" down posts. It should be pretty easy to solve this issue. Then you can use that mount on your bass drum for cymbals or whatever, or even leave it sitting there.

I moved my toms to the left about 15 years ago to make a square between my two most-used toms (lowest rack and highest floor), snare, and ride. I found I was using them, plus my hi-hats, for 90% of all the notes I played with my hands. It didn't make sense to put the low rack tom far to the right where it became inaccessible to my left hand. My ride technique has only improved because of this move.

Most tom mounts are either 7/8" or 1" down posts. Most cymbal stand tripods accept either 7/8" or 1" down posts. It should be pretty easy to solve this issue. Then you can use that mount on your bass drum for cymbals or whatever, or even leave it sitting there.
Exactly.

I sometimes have to explain my setup to people because I like my body to face straight forward on stage which means my bass drum sits on the stage at an angle (as though there is an invisible 2nd bass drum). So I explain it like this: "It is just a basic 4-piece with an extra 10" tom off to the left". Of course, I also explain how those first 2 toms are directly in front of me and also how I like my body to face forward on stage.

Sure, my drumset may look crooked when judging it by the bass drum, but it's actually perfectly straight. :) I could probably make my bass drum face forward perfectly, but then it wouldn't match the natural relaxed angle of my foot when my legs are spread apart to accommodate a snare.

Here's an old pic from a little over 5 years ago (I've improved upon the positions quite a bit and also flipped the china over and lowered it, but it's still basically the same today):

P2120053.JPG

When standing in front of the bass drum, the 4-piece section becomes even more apparent.

Oh, and take notice of the straight line between my double tom stand, snare stand, and throne stand. :)

My goal with this setup was to make it feel like a double bass setup.

This is the setup I use as well. I've played a 4 piece most of the time over the years and when I bought a 5 piece last year I wanted to keep my ride in "the spot" so I mounted the toms to the left. I really don't like to have the ride farther to the right or up too high. My approach was to get the Gibraltar Stealth rack system. It holds the snare basket (no creeping snare!), two toms and a crash. I just put my existing tom mount in the downtube and voila!

The advantage is that since there is no tripod I can put the rack much closer to the bass drum and that way my hi-hat doesn't have to be too far left. It's definitely a great system for this kind of setup. I also have the right side Stealth as well. I prefer this to a traditional rack with the bar across the front.

mypdp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys right now i have a old Yamaha Rydeen kit and i want o mount my toms to the left of the bass drum.
Do you guys think i should i save up for the Yamaha Double tom stand or should i get one of the three hole receivers like the Pearl Ax38 or the Gibraltar Platform mount
Also any comments about even moving my ride beside the two toms if i did move them to the left of the bass drum. Do you guys/girls like your ride like that why or why not?
And i anyone has pros and cons list that would be awesome.
PS pics of my kit are not current just got a new Yamaha stand that is heavy and built like a tank.

^ That would be the cheapest and easiest way to go.

My DW is just a Gibralter mount to a cymbal stand I had laying around.

DW_front.jpg

I've never like my toms mounted on the bass drum, it just not feel comfortable to me.
And then yes, you can move your ride over.

Exactly.

I sometimes have to explain my setup to people because I like my body to face straight forward on stage which means my bass drum sits on the stage at an angle (as though there is an invisible 2nd bass drum). So I explain it like this: "It is just a basic 4-piece with an extra 10" tom off to the left". Of course, I also explain how those first 2 toms are directly in front of me and also how I like my body to face forward on stage.

Sure, my drumset may look crooked when judging it by the bass drum, but it's actually perfectly straight. :) I could probably make my bass drum face forward perfectly, but then it wouldn't match the natural relaxed angle of my foot when my legs are spread apart to accommodate a snare.

Here's an old pic from a little over 5 years ago (I've improved upon the positions quite a bit and also flipped the china over and lowered it, but it's still basically the same today):

When standing in front of the bass drum, the 4-piece section becomes even more apparent.

Oh, and take notice of the straight line between my double tom stand, snare stand, and throne stand. :)

My goal with this setup was to make it feel like a double bass setup.

This is exactly how I have my 4 piece kit set up. It's much more ergonomic than the "traditional" position.

I normally set up as one up/two down but when I do use my 10" tom I set it on a stand to the side, not only because my bass drum has no tom mount, but because of positioning the ride over the side of the bass drum. I use a Gibraltar Triple clamp, but as mentioned before just use your bass drum mount in a cymbal stand.
SANY5036.jpg

This is exactly how I have my 4 piece kit set up. It's much more ergonomic than the "traditional" position.
Indeed!

I had a friend for a few years who was also a drummer, and when she played my set for the first time (we were just buddies though) she immediately and enthusiastically exclaimed that it was noticeably easier to play mine than hers (of course, she had her first two toms mounted over the bass drum). So then I explained to her that I had purposely set it up that way to make it more ergonomic. :)

My main inspiration came from Dave Weckl's "A Natural Evolution" series videos, but my inspiration for setting it up as though I actually have a 2nd bass drum was Lars Ulrich. It's not that I'm a fan of Lars or that I want to play like him or anything, but I just liked what he did with his setup for Load and Reload (at least concerning the drums minus the cymbals). But I didn't truly recognize it until after being inspired by Dave Weckl.

Thanks Guys but the problem is my yamaha mount comes in 2 part what i mean is that there are held separately not bu one stand

Attachments

• c7f06d70c3c571324823c48f8d8d1d47.image.400x400.jpg
    c7f06d70c3c571324823c48f8d8d1d47.image.400x400.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,550
Can you leave the bigger mounted tom on the bass drum mount where the smaller one is and mount the smaller tom on a cymbal stand to the left of it? If you have to buy something, maybe that would be cheaper.

I never have this problem because I am left handed and right footed, so I play open handed with the ride just over the hats. Peace and goodwill.

Back