HIP HOP

Yeah I don't like any popular hip hip, per se.

Most of what I hear, that is popular, has no lyrical value and is only tolerable for 5-10 seconds, enough for that cashing in on the ringtone market.

I prefer Mc's not pop stars trying to rap about nothing.

In that respect I agree that anything REMOTELY hip hop in delivery is everywhere, giving real hip hop a bad representation.

First off a little grammar would be nice. I literally spent 4 minutes trying to figure out what your post said when it should have taken 4 seconds

Secondly, rap and hip hop have their place, and the world of drumming is not one of them.
On second thought they have no place. I can't believe people listen to that...

First off a little grammar would be nice. I literally spent 4 minutes trying to figure out what your post said when it should have taken 4 seconds
No offence but it'd be nice if you quoted who you were aiming that at, otherwise we'd be sat here thinking "RollingStone000's grammar was pretty much good, what's this guy on about?"

Secondly, rap and hip hop have their place, and the world of drumming is not one of them.
On second thought they have no place. I can't believe people listen to that...
Hip hop is based around beats
Beats are made from drums

Thus concludes todays math lesson

I've been getting into hip hop more recently, my favorite album being Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar.

I don't understand why people hate it. The artists take samples from excellent tracks to make their beats.

@Hellwyck: How dare you good sir! I'm dry shavin' ya young, ain't no thing.

@fishbones: What you're thinking of is called Blakroc. In my opinion, it's a GREAT album, the only problem is it's too short. Check out the YT link below. They did "webisodes" of the whole thing it's a bout ten or eleven parts long. But it's worth the full watch.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20ZedIXD8Zk

They're supposed to be doing another one as well.

Ultimately and it's been said in this thread (and I'm also generalizing here) if you're black or if you're of any other race and about thirty years old or younger there's a good chance that you like at least some hip hop. But it's one of those generational things. It's the same thing with rock music several generations ago.

I myself have always been one to lean on the sample/chopped and looped side because they're actually using instruments and vocals from recordings. I'm very "pick and choose-y" when it comes to the more electronically generated beats.

I'm a little dumbfounded by the fact that there aren't more fans of hip hop on a drum forum though. Considering the core of it is drums and bass. Also considering all of the discussions on the forum about timing, playing for the music, bass drum techniques, and the like. That's literally the basis of hip hop. It's forces you to play as perfect as possible. I mean I've heard lackluster drums being played in rock music and it doesn't really detract from the overall vibe and feeling of the music. I realize the only one noticing it is me, sitting on my high horse, as I look down my nose at those who are still able to enjoy it. But conversely, if you look at hip hop; if one of those beats is off, maybe the quick double on the bass drum is a little slow or you came in too early on the snare, everyone notices.

Also, I find it a little odd just for example. If you were to take the drum beat to Biggie's "Big Poppa", cats are hating the song. However, if you were to take that same beat and put bass and a guitar, maybe an organ, and a couple of horn players or whatever, all of a sudden it's the jam (which would be the Isley Brothers "Between the Sheets"). I don't know it's just a little disconcerting to me.

I used to think people just didn't quite understand how great Rap/Hip Hop is... The freedom to create sounds and grooves has always appealed to me. My first purchased tape was Ice-T Power, that along with my mixed tape of NWA and I was set.

I can barely stand the genre today... people like Drake are so weak and terrible on the mic. Writing lyrics is different from spitting them. I still love certain stuff but overall its terrible right now, Kinda like a lot of Metal when I was younger... I think everything goes in cycles.

Roots, Questlove... great idea & style
Not a Jay Z fan cuz he'd be nobody if BIG & Pac were alive. However, the real band and rapping over them is awesome.

When I think of drums I think of all the killer music from R&B, Funk, Soul, Disco, etc. I grew up loving metal but the genera's I mentioned got me into drums.

Reading through this thread, I found it interesting that alot of the criticisms about hip-hop and rap run parallel to what people were using to criticize guys like Dizzy, Bird, 'Trane, Miles, Sonny 60, 70, even 80 years ago.

Now I'm not saying that rappers are necessarily as talented as someone like Miles (Quincy just laid a brilliant smack down on a journalist that tried to compare Kanye to him), but the foothold hip hop has in pop culture right now is tied strongly to the role that jazz once played during the 30's through the 60's.

Here's an interesting read that I think makes this argument quite well...
http://www.helium.com/items/982322-the-link-between-hip-hop-and-jazz-music

.wat dyu guys think of these guys? do y all like hip hop or???

In English...What do you guys think of these guys? Do you all like hip hop or what.

I be hooked on fonics.

Reading through this thread, I found it interesting that alot of the criticisms about hip-hop and rap run parallel to what people were using to criticize guys like Dizzy, Bird, 'Trane, Miles, Sonny 60, 70, even 80 years ago.

Now I'm not saying that rappers are necessarily as talented as someone like Miles (Quincy just laid a brilliant smack down on a journalist that tried to compare Kanye to him), but the foothold hip hop has in pop culture right now is tied strongly to the role that jazz once played during the 30's through the 60's.
Great post!

I've said it a million times. If Miles Davis, Coltrane and Mingus were to show up right now they would be hip hop artists. I'm totally into it... and if Tony Royster were to miss his plane I would be doing everything possible to be in on his JayZ gig. I've also been scratching for years and kept 2 turntables on 24/7 next to my bed in high school, and made side money in ATL scratching at house parties. Some of those Djs are big time serious.

Although I like the old school guys more than the current batch, I still find it interesting that so many continue to diss this stuff with the same 30 year old insults. Sure you can like ot hate anything you want, but I think it's silly to continue to wear out the illiteracy angle when a lot of these guys are some of the most literate people I know.

Besides, why are their lyrics held up within the context of actual language? Would some of you 60s and 70s guys like to go back and justify some of that inane Baby Baby yeah yeah foolishness you used to pass off as lyricism? And yes, the OP used some abbreviated Twitter speak to feign some imagined hip hop coolness.. but again, can none of you former champions of polyester bellbottoms and hair down to your ankles not recall your own secret groovy talk language? I remember watching Billy Jack and not having a clue as to what most of the characters were saying.

I think it's all about the times we live in. When I'm 60 some kid will be playing my idea of jumbled space music and I'll be screaming how he's certainly no Tupac.

Well...actually I already do that.

Lil Wayne?

No...oh well.

Hip hop comes from funk. Funk is good drummer music.

Besides that, I am compelled by hip-hop because it is the only genre of music I have heard besides modern classical music that has the power to be truly frightening. Listen to the Marshall Mathers LP and tell me that 'Amityville' or 'Kim' doesn't move you in any way. Music communicates all emotions, and I've never heard real anger and frustration expressed more directly or sincerely. Listen to Immortal Technique. There is no theatre to it, no face paint or spikes. It's real.

I wish I was more open minded. At the same time, I know what I like. Music has the ability to really resonate with people...or not.

It's really the same kind of debate about what foods you like. There are some foods that you just aren't going to like, no matter what anybody says. Should I feel "less than" for not liking beets? Or should I not be concerned with that and extract as much enjoyment I can from the foods I do like? I'm with the latter. Opinions are good. Dislikes are a part of life. I don't know that the person exists that likes every single style of music ever created. So it's OK to not be moved by something that moves others. I don't feel I should force myself to have to like any music just because it's new and happening. If I don't like it, I can't force myself to like it. If it doesn't appeal to me, I just look elsewhere. Music is extremely personal.

Anybody who faults others for not liking a certain kind of music, saying things like,"how can this not touch you?"....To those people I'd ask, Isn't there any music you don't like too? If you have no dislikes in the world of music, then my hat goes off to you. I'm guessing those people would be a tiny percentage. Every person I know has a range of music they like, and a range they don't like or even hate. I know of no one that likes it all. That's what makes the world go 'round. Gotta embrace that. Viva la difference!

Even though I'm not a hip hop/rap fan, there are some hip hop passages I do like.
Just for some lightness at our gigs, I'm learning the rap from the beginning of the "Fresh Prince" TV show to do at our gigs. I have a feeling it will go over great.

I wish I was more open minded. At the same time, I know what I like. Music has the ability to really resonate with people...or not.

It's really the same kind of debate about what foods you like. There are some foods that you just aren't going to like, no matter what anybody says. Should I feel "less than" for not liking beets? Or should I not be concerned with that and extract as much enjoyment I can from the foods I do like? I'm with the latter. Opinions are good. Dislikes are a part of life. I don't know that the person exists that likes every single style of music ever created. So it's OK to not be moved by something that moves others. I don't feel I should force myself to have to like any music just because it's new and happening. If I don't like it, I can't force myself to like it. If it doesn't appeal to me, I just look elsewhere. Music is extremely personal.

Anybody who faults others for not liking a certain kind of music, saying things like,"how can this not touch you?"....To those people I'd ask, Isn't there any music you don't like too? If you have no dislikes in the world of music, then my hat goes off to you. I'm guessing those people would be a tiny percentage. Every person I know has a range of music they like, and a range they don't like or even hate. I know of no one that likes it all. That's what makes the world go 'round. Gotta embrace that. Viva la difference!

Even though I'm not a hip hop/rap fan, there are some hip hop passages I do like.
Just for some lightness at our gigs, I'm learning the rap from the beginning of the "Fresh Prince" TV show to do at our gigs. I have a feeling it will go over great.

I totally agree. I consider myself pretty open minded but they're are just certain types of music that don't reach me. I do understand though, that it reaches others and for that it has immense value. Sort of like using that same food analogy in reverse, just because someone doesn't like l a certain type of food it doesn't change the fact that it is still food - it's likely still made up of the same core building blocks of other things we do like to eat.

There are plenty "musicians' that easily write-off hip-hop/rap as being "less than" music. The reality is that as long as we devalue other artists' vehicles for expression we're a) not doing our art any good and b) we're taking away from our own ability to communicate and express ourselves to others.

There are plenty "musicians' that easily write-off hip-hop/rap as being "less than" music. The reality is that as long as we devalue other artists' vehicles for expression we're a) not doing our art any good and b) we're taking away from our own ability to communicate and express ourselves to others.

Well said. It is not lesser music. It is the music that is part of the modern culture. The newer generations have a right to "their" music just as I did to "my" music. My Led Zeppelin's are not lesser music compared to my father's Frank Sinatra's.

It's when people put down stuff, just because it doesn't do anything for them, that makes them old, closed off and bitter. I have done this myself in the past. It's easy to do. But I don't want to be "that" guy anymore. Where does that get you? We're all on the same team, right? If you can't participate, coach?

Although I like the old school guys more than the current batch, I still find it interesting that so many continue to diss this stuff with the same 30 year old insults. Sure you can like ot hate anything you want, but I think it's silly to continue to wear out the illiteracy angle when a lot of these guys are some of the most literate people I know.

I have no rouble with the literacy part. I'm sure they can sit down and write or collaborate with others to write lyrics, but when they sing it I can't understand it. Call it ebonics or whatever but they are not pronouncing the words they have written down. There are the hand gestures that are just comical. Left hand out if front with the fingers all curled but the thumb and little finger, or grabbing the crotch. Micorphone in the right hand holding it parallel to the ground. Everyone of them does this same thing. there is no variety. How am I supposed to like something I can't stand to watch or listen to. The original question was dyu all like it or ????? My answer is no.

I don't care for 99% of it.

But I like some things it has influenced, and such.

I'm a big Linkin Park fan.

Gangster's Paradise is still a well written good song. But of course, it's the non-rap actually singing chorus that makes it memorable.

Some of Eminem's stuff is clever and well written.

Hustle and Flow is still a good movie.

People will always be like this. No matter how open minded one is, they will always prefer what they grew up with, generally anyway. Or at least be more comfortable with it. Like when Miles Davin approached Bran Marsailes to join his new wave group. Branford said no, because Miles didn't understand funk. He grew up listening to earth wind and fire, james brown and curtis mayfield. There was nothing miles could tell him about funk. People might want to move on. But a 60year old today, no matter how good of a musician, will not be as comfortable with, say, hip hop as a 25 year old one. Its incoded in us! :)

There have been so many times where I'd be on a jazz run, non stop jazz listening. And one day I'd turn on 2pac, and forget about all other music. Its what I have been listening to since I was 8 years old. Thats why guys in old folk homes listen to big band music rather than kanye. Both talented, no matter what type of guy he is, Kanye is one of the few genius' in popular music today.

Every AVERAGE person won't want to be explorative with their music, they'll listen to what they know they like, thats why we remain faithful to the music of our youth. Just what I think anyway

Back