Need advice on In Ear Monitoring System and Buttkicker transducer

I use an Art mymonitor personal monitor amp with a Shure PSH600 that allows me to mix the overall band monitor mix with my drums and my vocal mic. The PHW600 has a built in limiter to prevent deafness caused by sound engineers and bandmates. If you don't need a vocal input for yourself, the PHW600 will allow you to take an overall mix and a drum mix and mix them to your liking.

I use the in-ears whether my drums are mic'd or not, but I don't use custom in-ears (I use stock Shure in-ears- can't remember which model) so I get some bleed from the kit past the in-ears for the non mid'd gigs. If I'm mic'd up, just a feed from my little mixer to the PHW 600 does the business, so that i can balance the band monitor mix, my vocal and my drums.

It looks much more complicated here that it actually is!

Hi Mike,
Not Necessary , however if you work with custom IE plugs how you think you will hear yr drums?

s

I guess my question is, say your playing a small gig with a band. Small enough where the drums do not need to be mic'd. Are IE monitors useless for a drummer in this type of situation?

I guess my question is, say your playing a small gig with a band. Small enough where the drums do not need to be mic'd. Are IE monitors useless for a drummer in this type of situation?

My opinion is that even on small gigs where the drums don't need to be mic'ed I will always throw up at least a kick, snare and overhead. I'd rather have it and not need it than vice versa, especially since it is easy to have the overheads up nice and low just to provide the cymbals with some sparkle and the kick with a little bit of oomph. I hate seeing bands in small venues (or even not so small venues) without overheads, since the cymbals almost always get lost in the mix. I also try to use my in-ears as much as possible (to protect my already-slightly-damaged hearing), so I always try to have them in my ears even on small gigs.

Back to the original topic, I'm extremely interested in either the Buttkicker or the P&D Gigster right now. We played a big outdoor gig on Friday and we had borrowed a couple of dual 18 subs, so we had our normal pair of single 18 subs in the trailer. The bass player mentioned that the last time we played there he really wasn't feeling the kick drum, so he and I got the idea to pull the 18's out and put them face down on the stage about 5 feet on either side of me, and just run the kick drum to them. The whole band felt the kick through the floor, and I felt like I was playing so much tighter being able to roll off the low end in my in-ears (keeping the "click" of the bass drum through the overheads) while also still feeling it through the floor. I think I could become addicted to "feeling" my kick instead of trying to hear it through my in-ears.

Hi BRAD

Confim yr below statements!
Same for me, even in a really small club environement I MIC my set and use my In-Ear sys. EIther the big rack shown in the pic below or my B-Rig where there is only the gigster and a headphone amp.

If drums is on the PA (small gigs) and I do not mean LOUD on the PA but PRESENT the whole band sound is much tighter. Althought I tent to prefer the toms on the PA than the cymbals ... mine always cut through :)

GIGSTER:
If once you used this tool, you would never want to miss it! Small / medium or big venues ...it is a great tool, and correct your In-ear sound is much "cleaner" if you turn down the low end from the bass drum. It like you would tidy-up yr pracice room ... :)

greetings
Serge

Back