Electronic Drum kit?

Benjo

I am a beginner in the world of drumming, and i am currently getting the money together to get my first kit. I have been seriously looking at the "yamaha dtx400k". Do you think this is the one to go for or shall my money be spent elsewhere?
(BTW i can only get an electronic drum kit and my budget is about £600)
cheers for the help

Re: Electronic Drum kit???

The folks over at a site called "v-drums" will have better answers than us since we mostly deal in "real" drums =).

Dear Dr Watso - I need some advice ...........

I want play my ''real'' drums when I can't sleep, so I offered my neighbors some earplugs but they suggested I use them as suppositories.

Can you recommend an alternative to playing my ''unreal'' electronic drums when I need some rhythmic practice, without disturbing others?

Last edited:
Dear Dr Watso - I need some advice ...........

I want play my ''real'' drums when I can't sleep, so I offered my neighbors some earplugs but they suggested I use them as suppositories.

Can you recommend an alternative to playing my ''unreal'' electronic drums when I need some rhythmic practice, without disturbing others?

I didn't say you couldn't play your toy fake drums, I just said the guy posting was more likely to get help on a dedicated toy drum forum.

Or just get some sleep and play your real drums in the morning like a man.

Thanks for the advice Doc - some of us only get to choose between playing e-drums or no drums at all - when acoustic drums aren't an option.

Any time you need more sage advice, just ask!

Thanks for the advice Doc - some of us only get to choose between playing e-drums or no drums at all - when acoustic drums aren't an option.
Obviously the answer is to play no drums at all and give up on this e-drum pipe dream! : P

E-drum is better than no drum at all. They play very different from acoustic kits. The biggest difference is the lack of dynamics on most lower end kits. The feel of playing an e-kit is also very different, less bounce, smaller pads, different vibrations in your palm....

If you can look past these shortcomings, you might find e-kits have advantages, such as lower noise, more compact, easier to record. If you hook up to a VST, you'll find a vast improvement in sound vis-a-vis most drum brains. You can practice at all times of day and night.

Of course, you'll have to take what you learn on the e-kit and reapply it to the acoustic kit. But the time taken to do this will grow shorter as you acclimatise yourself to the feel of playing each type.

Or just get some sleep and play your real drums in the morning like a man.

That explains why my breasts are growing at an alarming rate. I thought I was just getting fat.

Damn E drums!

One of the best things about the E's is how simple it is to record with them. No mics, no acoustic room treatments. I can sit behind the fake kit with my headphones and wireless mouse and do as many takes or partial takes as I want. It's just way too easy to love these things.

20131226_203409_zps1c276000.jpg

And.....I don't know....I think I could still pick up Dr. Watso by his throat and take his wallet :)

IMG_1381_zpsc7fde517.jpg

Hey New Tricks - I see you're one of those innovative musos who plays both 'real' and 'unreal' drums. I won't ask you to pick a favourite and I wouldn't mind having a similar space for my musical 'toys'.

I can't play ukulele on my 'pretend' Multi-12 setup, but I can play any of the included 100+ GM instrument sounds on the 24 pads, which cover 1 octave per M-12 (with up to 4 notes on each pad).
There are plenty of 'unreal' sounds to pick from using the M-12's 200 user kits, plus some more variety with a midi-controlled synth connected - but they are only a digital version of the 'real deal'.

BTW Benjo - in case you want some more options to consider, check out this Roland comparison: http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/drums-percussion/vdrum_comparison_chart.php

Last edited:
That explains why my breasts are growing at an alarming rate. I thought I was just getting fat.

Damn E drums!

And.....I don't know....I think I could still pick up Dr. Watso by his throat and take his wallet :)

IMG_1381_zpsc7fde517.jpg

Great shot of a REAL MAN behind a fake kit there New Tricks!! : P
I think we need to school the doc on just how MANLY e-drums can be.
Does THIS look like a wussy e-kit to you Dr Watso?? Huh?? Yeah?? Say what??

Attachments

• Drum 2.jpg
    Drum 2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 912
I won't ask you to pick a favourite and I wouldn't mind having a similar space for my musical 'toys'.

For what I do, I actually favor the E kit.

1) It allows me to control the volume of the entire band. We play until 11PM and my neighbors never hear a thing unless they are standing on my door step.

2) Recording is a breeze.

Given the appropriate setting and a sound guy, I'll play A's with no issues. They are just drums. All you have to do is hit them at the right time :) Almost every horrible mix I hear in bars/clubs is based on the damn drums being too loud.

I can't play ukulele on my 'pretend' Multi-12 setup, but I can play any of the included 100+ GM instrument sounds on the 24 pads, which cover 1 octave per M-12 (with up to 4 notes on each pad).

I have a crap load of things on my SPD-SX so I can play any instrument at any time :) I have to spend the time writing and recording them but, after that it's all easy.

Don't have breast problems of my own, so I'll let you work that one out.

One of the best things about the E's is how simple it is to record with them. No mics, no acoustic room treatments. I can sit behind the fake kit with my headphones and wireless mouse and do as many takes or partial takes as I want. It's just way too easy to love these things.
...And it still sounds fake, lacks proper dynamics/feel, and is plagued with triggering issues.

If you're smart, you'll take the contents of my wallet and buy some drums that aren't fake.

I think we need to school the doc on just how MANLY e-drums can be.
Does THIS look like a wussy e-kit to you Dr Watso?? Huh?? Yeah?? Say what??

Yes. See the black disks made of rubber and plastic on top of the kit? The ones that say "roland"?

Also, it looks like a waste of a perfectly good real kit. So sad.

It's okay, guys. Not everyone has what it takes to play real drums. They're big and loud and scary. Quite intimidating when you're used to your rock band kit!

Yes. See the black disks made of rubber and plastic on top of the kit? The ones that say "roland"?

Also, it looks like a waste of a perfectly good real kit. So sad.

It's okay, guys. Not everyone has what it takes to play real drums. They're big and loud and scary. Quite intimidating when you're used to your rock band kit!

You mean acoustic shells and heads actually produce sounds and don't just serve as a mounting system for your triggers?? Well I'll be....

Back