Ludwig Brass Supra

wildbill

Platinum Member
Went to look at a used one recently. Got a couple questions about it.

I was a bit shocked at the lug splay. From the angle of the tension rods, it seemed like the hoops were way too big.
Seemed like if you shimmed the lugs out about 1/8 to 1/4" the rods would be going straight down.

Think they did this on purpose? Like maybe it puts angled pressure on the head or something.

Also, does 400 seem about right for a used one It sounds good, but there are a lot of snares that sound good for that much or less - even new.
No pitting on it like you find on the chrome over aluminum ones. It's 14x5, Imperial lugs, P85 throw off, etc.
The new ones look different now, with tube lugs I guess. And I think they only come 6.5" deep now too.

Can you get a pic of it? Does the angle of the tension rods look better or worse than this:

ludwig-hammered-bronze-6-5x14-snare-drum.jpg

$400 is not an unreasonable price, though it's not a steal by any means. If you're set on the overtone brass gives, consider looking for COB or a NOB. You can typically find COB for $200 and NOB for a bit more.

Pitting decreases as the nobility of the materials increase.

I'd say $400 is not a bad price based on condition.
NOB - nickel on brass

the flaking of chrome doesn't happen on all LM Ludalloy snares.

lug splay - ya agree it's not pretty but the real deal is the Ludwig snare sound..... and LM's sound great.

Street price on a new COB is a little over $600, and if you can find a B-stock those run about $500, so I think $400 for a used COB is good if it's in nice condition.

Ludwig snares have taken off in price in the last couple years. Even a plain old LM400 is now in the "$500 snare drum club."

No need to pay the Bonham tax, everyone offers a nice brass snare, see what else is out there.

Back