HIP HOP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D671znPDOCU

Mainly towards daredrummer who said that drums have no place in hip-hop. This is a Roots performance on Soulstage. ?uestlove and Captain Kirk (guitar player) absolutely killed it during this performance. The percussion pretty much carries the first 1:15 of the video.

Love this performance! I was watching this earlier while I was getting ready for work. Kirk impressed me the most holding down Badu's vocals.

Love this performance! I was watching this earlier while I was getting ready for work. Kirk impressed me the most holding down Badu's vocals.

Yeah, I loved how he was able to to sing his guitar part and play it at the same time, talk about being "one with your instrument". And I didn't expect the Roots to put him on a lead singing part, but he handled singing and playing extremely well.

Also, from about 0:30-1:00, notice that everytime it shows ?uest and the percussionist, their hands are moving in almost exact unison.

Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash use to speak the words rather than sing at times, Was that Rap??

I agree that to some extent some "hip hop," which is really pop music these days, at least in the mainstream with a cadence similar to REAL hip hop; has been a detrimental.

I am not a Christian, but Lacraee, he is a Christian Hip hopper. To answer your question of that "market" so to speak.

I do like ALL hip hop, and have an ear for quality.

As in any music there is stuff, "product" made to "move units."

I like the storytelling aspect, analyzing the delivery of the vocalist, and visualizing what the MC is saying. It takes me on a journey.
It is pretty EASY to make hip hop music, and with the aid of computer programs or drum machines, just about anybody can "do it." Doesn't mean its good.

I was not stating anyone here has that exact view, in my earlier post, I know people in "real" life that have such an opinion.

I am from Chicago, I like , and can relate, to hip hop that DOES talk about selling drugs, shooting people, overall nefarious gangster stuff. I have seen it firsthand. The results of these crimes, known people that live in ghettos, lived in ghettos, etc.

Does that mean I want to glorify it, or not get out? No, I left. Anyone who LIKES living in a ghetto is a liar. Hip hop to some is escapism. Mentally we can escape through the stories. Mentally we can leave and vicariously live the life.

To me, hip hop has always been close to my heart. It's fun (paul revere), it can speak about social ills (brendas got a bay) or maybe talk about a great female(bonita applebum).

No offense to anyone here, I agree with the sentiments its a youth thing.My parents dislike it. My grandfather didn't like Zeppelin. I am 31 , no means a spring chicken, I don't understand "kesha." I don't understand plasticity.

Read Tupac's poetry book, you tell me if there isn't something positive there. Especially "rose that grew from concrete."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D671znPDOCU

Mainly towards daredrummer who said that drums have no place in hip-hop. This is a Roots performance on Soulstage. ?uestlove and Captain Kirk (guitar player) absolutely killed it during this performance. The percussion pretty much carries the first 1:15 of the video.

that's good stuff, but I prefer Earth Wind and Fire - besides, I don't want to see someone in a Yankee hat ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hum_5TUhAOs

you can skip to 4:30 to see some drum work

"The over-synthesization of many of today's pop vocals also drives me crazy,"

Your not alone there, pal. Auto tuning takes the soul out of the music. Otis redding, the temps, or say aretha...That is soulful singing, straight from the heart.

The usage of MACHINES to make a human , who usually CAN'T sing, be in tune, is cheap , cheating, and is not full of integrity.

I would prefer a heartfelt performance by the funk brothers, with the Temps in front of them, than some house beat with a talentless hack "vocalizing."

that's good stuff, but I prefer Earth Wind and Fire - besides, I don't want to see someone in a Yankee hat ;)

you can skip to 4:30 to see some drum work

I remember a few months back, my dad pointed me to a more recent Earth, Wind, and Fire video (still great) because he wanted to showed me what a "kalimba" was, and he said they had a very good drummer. But this was the first time I've really seen a solo from him. I think I'll show my dad this video, he'll definitely enjoy it since he grew up in the 70's when they were popular. Love the awesome falsetto voices from EW&F. lol Thanks for the video.

I don't like rap for the following reasons:

1. One bar of music repeated for 3 1/2- 4 minutes. Ususally with some ear-degrading "sound effect" played throughout the whole song.
2. Filthy lyrics.
3. Encourages illiteracy. Fifty Cent/Fitty Cent?
4. Is now more about a culture that is detrimental to a large portion of people who listen to it.
5. Live performances: A bunch of shirtless tatooed dudes hopping around and yelling "lyrics" into the mic which can't be understood.
6. Musicians? They don't need no stinking musicians!
7. Musically flat. No changes in mood, time signature, key. No bridge, climax. Just flat line loud.

That said, there are a few older song I like, such as rapper's delight, walk this way (crossover) , bust a move. Warren G. had a song I liked about 7 years ago but I can't remember the title.

Well there are a lot of groups that use live muscians in their shows. I have no problem understanding the lyrics. If you don't like it fine, but a vast majority isn't "filthy" that is a misconception.

Your obviously uninformed, and that is fine, you don't have to like it.

Eyedea, for example, doesn't utter "filthy" words, more like abstract poetry about all sorts of problems.

Not picking on you, your entitled to your opinion, it's just not based in fact, to some degree. Sure some have lyrics that might offend, some might yell.

If all you heard was wu-tang, or NWA, I can see that.

I am not going to try and correct your opinion, just saying that isn't entirely true.

Gangstarr, uses Louie armstrong, charlie mingus, charlie parker, ron carter basslines, etc. I consider that music, so do college professors.

If it's not for you, that's cool. We all like different things. I happen to love hip hop, and all the facets inside it.

If it's not for you, that's cool. We all like different things. I happen to love hip hop, and all the facets inside it.

I find that intriguing, and would be curious as to how many other drummers love hip hop. I think the major reason I am not into hip hop is because I am a drummer, and dislike the monotony of the percussion beat in the songs (this applies to many newer pop songs as well) Also, hip hop came into being when I was well into my 30's, so there is probably a generational thing going on here as well.

When Ton Loc came out with Wild Thing and Funky Cold Medina, it was sort of like hip-hop, but had some drums and guitar licks to make it more palatable to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=387ZDGSKVSg

1. One bar of music repeated for 3 1/2- 4 minutes. Ususally with some ear-degrading "sound effect" played throughout the whole song.
2. Filthy lyrics.
4. Is now more about a culture that is detrimental to a large portion of people who listen to it.
5. Live performances: A bunch of shirtless tatooed dudes hopping around and yelling "lyrics" into the mic which can't be understood.
7. Musically flat. No changes in mood, time signature, key. No bridge, climax. Just flat line loud.

That said, there are a few older song I like, such as rapper's delight, walk this way (crossover) , bust a move. Warren G. had a song I liked about 7 years ago but I can't remember the title.

Utter tripe. You haven't even tried to listen to anything worthwhile. Get off MTV and listen to something that isn't on that channel and you'll find far, far more interesting work.

I'm 31.

If your paying attention to what is REALLY popular you aren't getting a GREAT exploration of true MCing.

Eminem is excellent, past that most mainstream stuff is formulaic:

Beat, simple melody, terrible wordplay. Ja rule, fabulous, stuff like that.

TRY listening to Aesop Rock, POS, Eyedea and abilities, Gangstarr, and of course Tribe.

Those Are MC's.

Try MfDoom "Accordian" youtube it.

Hip hop I feel, and have found myself, DOES appeal to drummers. It's all about polyrhythmn.

The vocals push or pull the bar line, or go along syncopatedly with the straight ahead beat.

2. Filthy lyrics.

Sounds like the only rap you've heard is Lil Wayne and "Candy Shop" by 50 Cent, based off the first 5 reasons.
Along with the one link that I posted, I can give you WAY MORE links to hip hop artists and groups that use Musicians and instruments that don't match the reasons on your list.
That is, if you want me to.

I agree though, it probably is a generational thing. I could send you dozens of links to other songs but I'm not entirely sure it would change your opinion of hip hop. But I do want you to remember that Mainstream Rap does not do the genre justice. To me, it is pop music. Mainstream Rap is basically the ugly face of the genre that everyone can see. You have to ask or actively look for good hip hop music.

Most of the rappers that people my age think are good, would be Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy, Birdman, OJ the Juice Man, Nicki Minaj, and Drake (yes I know, by the time I got to "OJ" you were facepalming). All of them are BS artists, period.
Please understand that some drummers (me at least) are listening to hip hop music that is different from the kind that you, as well as other people that are not familiar with it, immediately think of.

Last edited:

Now that is music. Great sound, great percussion section, great drummer, great brass section. Stage performance and stage presence. No one grabbed their crotch or took off their shirt. You could understand the lyrics. If you weren't tapping your feet or doing the chair dance then you have no soul or rhythm. Let's see, we need a band for the prom. Ummm, Earth wind and Fire, or Fitty Cent, or maybe, Biggy Smalls, or maybe Eminem. Let me get back to you. As if.

If you don't like it fine, but a vast majority isn't "filthy" that is a misconception.

Your obviously uninformed, and that is fine, you don't have to like it.

From Billboards Hip Hop/R&B

6 foot 7, Lil Wayne featuring Cory Gunz - Drops S-bomb 3 times, B-bomb 3 times, N-word twice, F-bomb 3 times, menage a trois reference, all in the first verse.

Love Faces, Trey Songz - Don't it feel good when I touch on it; Wouldn't it be nice if all night I was ** you

No Bull S**t, Chris Brown - Make you come over and over again, And Ima leave it in...

Aston Marton Music Rick Ross -My down bi**h, one who live by the code, Put this music s**t aside, get it in on the road

Fabolous, You Be Killin Em - A bad b***h cost, she worth every cent; She look like the best money that I ever spent. Can't fault her, the last n***a spoiled her; But he ain't beat it up, I assault her

Wiz Khalifa, Black and Yellow - Black stripe, yellow paint; Them n****s scared of it, but them ho's ain't; Soon as I hit the club look at them ho's face...

I stopped at number 12. No point in beating a dead horse. We different standards of what filth is, and that's fine. Just don't try to pass this genre off as wholesome. And of course filth/raunch isn't limited to Hip Hop, its just far more prevalent in a higher percentage of songs.

mediocrefunkybeat said:
Utter tripe. You haven't even tried to listen to anything worthwhile. Get off MTV and listen to something that isn't on that channel and you'll find far, far more interesting work.

Please back up your statements. I'm open to some examples you can provide. And who watches MTV?

Snare said:
Along with the one link that I posted, I can give you WAY MORE links to hip hop artists and groups that use Musicians and instruments that don't match the reasons on your list.

I'll look for your link and listen to it.

'Game Theory' by The Roots is a great album. Old school albums like NWA and Public Enemy are as good a starting point as any. I'm not a Hip Hop expert by any means, but I'm not making blanket statements here. Your attitude is typical of the close minded attitudes I see every day from people that don't want to leave their bubble.

Your attitude is typical of the close minded attitudes I see every day from people that don't want to leave their bubble.

He asked for links and said he would listen to them. Opinionated does not necessarily mean close minded. Maybe we can all learn something here.

He asked for links and said he would listen to them. Opinionated does not necessarily mean close minded. Maybe we can all learn something here.

If he wanted to open his mind, he'd go looking himself. It's clear he's already made his mind up - hence close minded.

I wasn't trying to pass it off as wholesome.
A lot of hip hop is offensive and that is a fact. But, the way you were sepaking is if it all is offensive. A handful of songs doesn't describe a whole genre.

I was putting up the stance that there is plenty of hip hop that doesn't meet the criteria you described. Artists I mentioned before.

The "music" that is popular is made to draw attention and use key selling cliches: sex, drinking/clubbing and the like. I have heard it, and don't like it, and wonder why it is popular and ATMOSPHERE isn't....it is because a lot of the mainstream music isn't meant to be intellectual. It is meant to provoke an immediate response and is made for the simple minded.

I was trying to make a point that some hip hop,. or even the pop that has "rapping" over it is definately in the off color category, sure. Some is not.

I was trying to emphasize that to get the gist of the true hip hop I was speaking, you need to hear things that are made to enhance your mind, not lessen your wallet.

If drunk people in a club need to hear a hip hop style beat with a rapper talking about being drunk, fine, there is "product " out there which suits this need.

If your a head and you want a great MC, there is stuff out there.

Unfortunately it isn't popular because people are very much like sheep and will take whatever is spoonfed to them without questioning. They will see what is being sold to them and make an assumption, a generality about a whole music genre.

It is like saying there is one kind of jazz.

It is a predjudice without making an informed decision.

It is like saying all Metal music is about the "devil," and tells people to kill themselves. As foolish as these viewpoints are,there are people who subscribe to them.

It is clearly a point of not having been exposed to enough of the genre to make true statement.

If I were to look at any point in history, I could see peaks and valleys in the music that is popular. Some of it is great, the beatles for example, some is terrible.

Looking at what's popular isn't an exhaustive approach of a whole music genre.
What is popular isn't quality, most of the time.
Only looking at a short list of today's music , listened to by the herd, doesn't help you see all the gold hidden underneath, in the underground, or even in the past.

Last edited:
Back