Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin:

I just wanted to say that I am happy that I ordered your new album Drop today! I have to wait for the product to ship across the pond to Canada but I am hoping that I can have it in hand before your Porcupine Tree perfornance in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on October 16th. (Maybe I can get you to autograph it!!!) I am really looking forward to hearing you live.

Again, thanks for your musicality and your work! Keep it up!

Cheers,

Tim

i just saw the porcupine tree show in orlando tonight, which i believe is the first show on the current u.s. tour. thanks for coming here! the show was epic! of course, i was watching the drumming very closely, and i wasn't disappointed. it was interesting to see how you play certain things i've heard on the recordings. i loved your drums and your cymbal setup especially. what is that little cymbal just above the rack toms? it seemed like a cross between a splash and a bell cymbal. i really liked the sound!

i hope you enjoy your brief stay in orlando. don't mind the heat, humidity, and rain. you should come here in the winter next time.

Hi Panos_from_greece!,
sorry but we have no plans to come to Greece in the near future.

Hi dairyairman,

what is that little cymbal just above the rack toms? it seemed like a cross between a splash and a bell cymbal. i really liked the sound!

It's another one of my experiments. Originally it was a 16" Z crash that I've cut down to 8" and slightly bent into an inverted "china-ish" shape.

Hi 12:5,

the part in cheating the polygraph which starts at 5:48...is it in normal 4/4 or is it an odd timesignature?,

No it's in 5 just like the chorus is - except I play a quarter note override on the hi hat and place a 2&4 backbeat on the snare as if it was in 4/4. Does that make sense?

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Just received your and 05Ric's new CD "Drop" and I like it. Your drumming is how surprisingly clean cool and adventureous.
The (drum)sound is also amazing.

But I had a question regarding Axis pedals.

I've read all your comments on this forum regarding the Axis pedals, and it seems you really like them.

I currently use Pearl Eliminators and they're fine by my standards, but I've heard good things about the Axis pedals.

But since the Axis pedals go for around $600 and the Eliminator for half that, do you think the Axis pedals are worth the difference. Did they have a big impact on your footwork.?

I've read some reviews of some users, and mostly all really like the feel and speed of the pedals but there where some who had screws come loose many times.

Did you ever had problems with your Axis pedals??

Thanks,
Dre

Hi Gavin.

The wiki article lists your toms as 8"x7", 10"x8", 12"x9"
14"x12", and 16"x14".

The "Equipment Info" on side B of your Rhythmic Horizons DVD (which I LOVE, btw, as well as Rhythmic Visions) lists the same, except for the depth of your 8" tom - it is listed there as having square dimensions.

Was there a change? If so, what was your reasoning for going from an 8" depth to 7"?

I am a new and huge fan.

Thanks,

Ben

Gavin,

really enjoyed the show last night (in Orlando) THANK YOU! I thought that the new tracks from Nil Recurring came across great live. One of the new songs in particular seems to have a sequenced bit at the beginning; I imagine you have that part in your in-ear monitors? I know you've used a click for the video synch - but I'm curious what you hear when accompanying an audio sequence. Would it be purely the sequenced part or is there a click along with it?

Also, a technical question, at the end of "Cheating the Polygraph" your groove contains of blur of ghost notes on the snare and doubles on the high hat. How exactly is that broken down?

I picked up "Drop" as well; looking forward to enjoying that today - along with the in-store performance tonight - even if it is just Steven! (I don't see how you could fit a kit in that store!)

All the best
Cygnify

Hi Drizzle,

But since the Axis pedals go for around $600 and the Eliminator for half that, do you think the Axis pedals are worth the difference. Did they have a big impact on your footwork.?
I've read some reviews of some users, and mostly all really like the feel and speed of the pedals but there where some who had screws come loose many times.
Did you ever had problems with your Axis pedals??

I used Eliminators for many years and I thought they were very good. Sometimes I struggled to articulate some things (especially at loud concert volume)- and I figured that it was just my lack of technique. When I got the Axis I could play most of those things that I struggled with a bit easier. I think it's more down to the fact that they suited my feet. However, a lot of drummers think that if they just had the 'best' pedals that they would suddenly be great double pedal players. In the end there's no shortcut - you can't make up for lack of technique - I know that because I was always looking for that 'magic' pedal too. I've practiced a lot more since I got the Axis and things are SLOWLY getting better - but I'm noticing improvement over months rather than days. I haven't had problems with them - the only thing that's happened is that I've bent a few beater shafts (Pearl ones).

Hi baniels,

what was your reasoning for going from an 8" depth to 7"?

Yes my new SQ2 set has an 8x7 whereas my Designer set has an 8x8. They didn't make 8x7 in the Designer days. There's not much difference really.

Hi cygnify,

Also, a technical question, at the end of "Cheating the Polygraph" your groove contains of blur of ghost notes on the snare and doubles on the high hat. How exactly is that broken down?

It's 16th note triplets grouped in a 5/8 rhythm. I don't have the chance to write it out because I'm on tour at the moment as you know...but it's not easy to describe any other way. Maybe someone else will jump in and transcribe it for you?

Cheers
Gavin

yes that makes sense to me...thanks for explaining.
meanwhile i found out by myself that it's in 5 but with kind of a 4/4 feel...great idea as always...this is why i love your drumming it's so creative and you hardly ever play a groove as one would expect...

one question: which rhythmic illusions did you incorporate in the two songs 'clock' and 'unsettled' from your new cd?...and if there aren't any...which time signatures are implemented in these songs?...very interesting grooves indeed!

hi gavin.
I hope that you're ok..
At first i wanna say thanks for your advices.I've used your advice about my 16" floor tom...an O\ring inside...last week on a live show a lot of drummers ask me how i can have a focused sound on my 16"...i told them that i was helped by a friend!Because i wanna consider you as a friend..A person that help me and other guys in this way, with passion and knowledge, can only be considered as a REAL FRIEND.My guitarist was shocked by the snare drum with the combo CS+O-ring...THANKS!

i got some questions for you..
1 - Pedals.I noticed that with foot i'm using overall the last part of the pedal,tha part nearest to me.But my DW 5000 haven't a long foot plate.This sometimes create me problems on fast double strokes and on double bass drumming.Overall, sometimes the strokes aren't all powerful in the same way.Can you give me some advice?
2 - secondary snare.I'want to add a secondary snare to my setup.i'was thinking about a 12x5 snare.what do you thing? for some songs that go more on a POP style can be helpful? (my main snares is too much dark,14x6.5..)
3 - double bass pedal exercise.Iyou always told us that you not consider yourself a PURE double bass drummer.And i wanna told you that i'm not a double bass lover.But i understand that double pedal can be added on the music with triplets,quartets, flams...You teach me this.And i found those thing very curious..What exercise you can suggest me??

thanks a lot again and good work for your tour.
With friendship.
Riccardo.

Hey Gavin - Firstly you are one of the most musical set players I have ever heard! Thank you for putting together amazing compositions and material! I recently watched a new video here at drummerworld from the frankfort 07 fair. The piece was in 19/8 - did you program this track on your laptop? Also - do you have the track available anywhere - I would love to practice to it if it's available somewhere. Thanks again!

Regards,
Eric Bittermann

Hi 12:5,

one question: which rhythmic illusions did you incorporate in the two songs 'clock' and 'unsettled' from your new cd?

There's a few things going on in "Unsettled". First the intro is all in 4/4 - then the verse is in 3/4 (but I think of it as a group of 7 + 5 which equals 12/16) The part in the outro really shows the 7+5 feel. Other than that there's a cross over between a 12/16 triplet kind of groove and a straight 16ths 4/4 groove. "Clock" is pretty much all in 4/4 but with an unusual groove from the toms and snare hits.

Hi ItalianRicky,

1 - Pedals.I noticed that with foot i'm using overall the last part of the pedal,tha part nearest to me.But my DW 5000 haven't a long foot plate.This sometimes create me problems on fast double strokes and on double bass drumming.Overall, sometimes the strokes aren't all powerful in the same way.Can you give me some advice?

Yes I had a DW 5000 and I hurt the arch of my foot trying to play that short pedal board at high volumes. You won't have that problem with an Axis Longboard.

2 - secondary snare.I'want to add a secondary snare to my setup.i'was thinking about a 12x5 snare.what do you thing? for some songs that go more on a POP style can be helpful? (my main snares is too much dark,14x6.5..)

Yes a 12x5 will offer a completely different sound from your main snare.I really like it.

3 - double bass pedal exercise.Iyou always told us that you not consider yourself a PURE double bass drummer.And i wanna told you that i'm not a double bass lover.But i understand that double pedal can be added on the music with triplets,quartets, flams...You teach me this.And i found those thing very curious..What exercise you can suggest me??

Sorry but I haven't got any double bass drum exercises at the moment. I'm thinking about making some because so many people keep asking me about it. I'm sure there's some great double pedal books out there somewhere.

Hi fddrummer,

The piece was in 19/8 - did you program this track on your laptop? Also - do you have the track available anywhere - I would love to practice to it if it's available somewhere. Thanks again!

The piece is called "19 Days" and it's from my newest DVD Rhythmic Horizons.
http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/collection/23/

There's a play-along version of it on there + a midi file version too. On that Frankfurt performance the track was being played from my laptop but it was a stereo mix of all the played instruments + a click.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
hey gavin, I just wanted to say that I got the Nil Recurring EP in the mail this week and it is excellent. I really love the entire thing. It's a shame that less people will probably hear it since it probably has a much more limited release than a full album, I love it just as much as fear of a blank planet. Keep up the awesome work!

John

Hi Gavin,

I know you've been asked this before, and if you have can you direct me to that thread.

In Absentia: track 9 @ 3:20-25 (only if you still remember) what are you doing there as far as a fill?

Looking forward to seeing PT in Cincinnati, ohio @ Bogarts

Hi Gavin.

Hope all is well. Enjoy your playing and PT.

I read an article were you talk about an instructor that you had, he would have you hit coins with your sticks to control your sticking. Can you please explain? Did he place coins on all of the drums or just the snare drum?

Reg

Just came back from the Porcupine Tree concert in MEXICO...
Congratulations! you did a great job, i'm very pleased and satisfied with your performance.. your drumming was just unbelievable.. it seems like you improvise a lot and i really like how sometimes your fills sound like you're pulling back the groove but then you just come back.. amazing..
And that beat you did on the second or third song, where there's a silence and the song starts to feel like it's on 5 but then you come in with something really weird on the ride cymbal..but somehow following the 5 pattern with the snare , or i dunno, didn't analyze it much.. it was just incredible,, ( I've just started listening to PT, so i dunno the titles or exactly what you were playin if you played it like that on the record, sorry)...

Anyway. Congratulations and i hope you enjoyed it.. it seems like you did.. It was pretty funny when the singer's guitar cable fell off the guitar...

Hi crookedrook,

In Absentia: track 9 @ 3:20-25 (only if you still remember) what are you doing there as far as a fill?

I imagine that you're talking about "Creator Had A Mastertape" - I don't have the album with me and I can't remember that fill exactly - but I think it has come up before on this thread - so you might need to look back through it.

Hi reg,

I read an article were you talk about an instructor that you had, he would have you hit coins with your sticks to control your sticking. Can you please explain? Did he place coins on all of the drums or just the snare drum?

One small coin taped to a practice pad for accuracy of stroke.

Hi aegir77,

And that beat you did on the second or third song, where there's a silence and the song starts to feel like it's on 5 but then you come in with something really weird on the ride cymbal..but somehow following the 5 pattern with the snare , or i dunno, didn't analyze it much..

Glad you enjoyed the show. That track is called "What Happens Now" and the part you're referring to is like this. It starts with a guitar in 5/8 and then I play in 7/8 with the bass drum & snare drum - on top of that I play a dotted 8th note on the ride cymbal. The bass joins in with a pattern in 7/8 (chords change every 4 bars) and the keys and guitars join in the dotted 8th note. Eventually that dotted 8th becomes an 8th note in 12/8 as we modulate into a different feel. Make sense?

Cheers
Gavin

Glad you enjoyed the show. That track is called "What Happens Now" and the part you're referring to is like this. It starts with a guitar in 5/8 and then I play in 7/8 with the bass drum & snare drum - on top of that I play a dotted 8th note on the ride cymbal. The bass joins in with a pattern in 7/8 (chords change every 4 bars) and the keys and guitars join in the dotted 8th note. Eventually that dotted 8th becomes an 8th note in 12/8 as we modulate into a different feel. Make sense?

Cheers
Gavin

Thank you it makes sense now... It's a very cool song.( i've listened to it more) . and that part is crazy but amazing..

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

This is my first time posting on your message board, and I'd like to say, first off, that I'm absolutely blown away by how heavily you interact with your fans. It's great stuff.

I'm interning at a recording studio, so I'm starting to focus heavily on recording technique. As a drummer, I think your drum recordings are phenomenal and plan to use them as a reference for my recordings. I know a large part of the sound comes from your development of tone and texture, but I have a couple questions from the technical end:

1)I read you prefer to record in the dry room and add ambience later via room mics placed in the live room. Since you're recording in a dry room, do you do anything to create a more live sound? For instance, placing a stack of rocks under the snare to create some diffused reflections.

2)Also, it seems on all of your recordings you have a really clean rendering of your drum kit and not much signal processing. Do you do anything to isolate components of the drums (snare from hi-hat). And do you further reduce bleed with noise gating or any other processing?

Thanks in advance.
I'll be heading over to Alabany for your show on the 18th (too expensive here in NYC), so I'll see you soon.
Andrew

Hi flyinghelmets,

For instance, placing a stack of rocks under the snare to create some diffused reflections.

wow, I've never heard of that before - but I do like experimenting so maybe I'll give it a go.
I don't generally do much to the dry room or add much eq as I record.

Do you do anything to isolate components of the drums (snare from hi-hat). And do you further reduce bleed with noise gating or any other processing?

I have - when playing hard open hi hat passages - improvised a piece of foam around the snare mic to try to stop so much hi hat going into the snare channel. I try to adjust my own dynamics as much as I can to suit the kind of mix I'm going to want. There's no need to play the hi hat really loud if you don't want to hear that much of it in the final mix. Likewise with the other drums and cymbals. For instance when I recorded the GH&05ric record I wanted to get quite soft and long crash cymbal sounds so I just tried hitting them much softer than usual. I went through a phase of wanting every crash cymbal burst into a very fast crash and then decay away quickly - now I'm thinking I want more of the opposite.

Cheers
Gavin

Back