Evans Coated G2s Over Clear G1s

sjczildjian

This has probably been discussed already in another thread, but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone uses this head combination? I used them about 4 years ago and found them to be too open and too much ring. However, I've seen Jarad Falks video on YouTube and they sound amazing. Do you think these have been noise gated?

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83jhSk0tYs

I was thinking about trying them out again - but do I waste my money? Bearing in mind, when I last used them, they were on a poplar Pearl Export Pro, and didn't know how to tune them properly!

the ring depends on how you tune them. I have the combo and it sounds like the way its recorded. The bottom head will be a bit tighter while the top head should be right above wrinkled.

Yeah I always used to tune them up pretty high so they rang for days. Im thinking about giving them another go! Im not happy with the EC2/EC Reso combination.

I'm using that combination on my Gretsch Renown kit with the top and bottom heads on the toms tuned to about the same pitch. I also have them on my 1965 vintage kit.

DSC_0288.jpg

Dennis

I used that combo several years ago and I liked it quite a bit. It is a rather open sound (for a two ply) but I never really thought of them as being too ringy. But as others have suggested it is in the tuning as to how they respond.

I think if they're going on a good quality kit and your tuning skills have improved since last time I'd give them another shot. It is a good, versatile head combo.

I'd say my tuning skills have improved and they will be going on my new SJC... Which is heaps better than the pearl. I am just looking to bring the warmth out of the shells with out them ringing out too much.

I am tossing up between this head combination or look for a place in Australia that sells Aquarian. Ive heard they are "the warmest heads Ive heard" from quite a few people. Im not too familiar with Aquarian though, so I wouldn't know which ones to buy. Id still like a little bit of control.

Guys, G2C over G1 is a great head combo, but the sound on that video is EQ loaded, compressed, gated, & reverb added. That processing stands out a mile, & in that regard, the video is very misleading. I thought his recorded sound lacked sustain of the fundamental tone, but that's a personal choice thing. Natural, this recording is not!

That was my feeling also. So my question is, what heads sound close to that sound?
The G2C over G1 or G1C will give you that sound, but you'll have to muffle the toms & tune real low to kill almost all the sustain. I wouldn't use such a short sustain in a live setting though, because nobody will hear your toms. Rich & full sustain of the drum's fundamental tone, & overtone ring, are two completely different things. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

The G2C over G1 or G1C will give you that sound, but you'll have to muffle the toms & tune real low to kill almost all the sustain. I wouldn't use such a short sustain in a live setting though, because nobody will hear your toms. Rich & full sustain of the drum's fundamental tone, & overtone ring, are two completely different things. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Ok - So pretty much, tune them real well otherwise they will sound like crap! Although, the guy on the video said that they are very forgiving... We'll see. I'm willing to try them again!

Ok - So pretty much, tune them real well otherwise they will sound like crap! Although, the guy on the video said that they are very forgiving... We'll see. I'm willing to try them again!

They actually are quite forgiving. I recommend tuning the reso head first, bringing it up to the pitch you want for the drum, then mounting the batter head and matching the pitch. From there, if you want less resonance, give a 1/16th to an 1/8th turn on the reso head lugs. If you want a bit more of a downward pitch bend during tail end of the sound, tune the reso head down a half turn and then bring it up about an 1/8th and adjust to your liking.

Cheers!

Back