Jojo Mayer

Dang I've already seen that one. Oh well, thanks for posting. :) There's a lot of great stuff in there. Plus, listening to Jojo and John jam is always a treat.

I'm new here and this seems like a cool forum check out and find out stuff that google can't answer for me haha, The drum kit I always see Jojo Mayer using is SQ2 from sonor but I've been trying to find this blue sparkle-ish kit setup he used at a drum clinic in Budapest. There's YouTube videos of it an it looks like its from a while back but I haven't been able to find anything at all on it. I would like to know everything about...sizes,brand,finish,cymbals,heads and hardware. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I got Jojo's DVD a while ago and it was one of the best investments I ever made for myself I still constantly watch to try to get better. He is such a fantastic drummer, I remember the first time I saw his DVD whenever he would play my jaw was on the floor every time lol.

To all you Jojo fans in Switzerland. November is going to be a good month…

Saturday, 1 November, he is playing the jazznojazz Festival: Zurich Jazz Orchestra "Buddy Rich Tribute".

Sunday, 2 November, he is giving a lecture (in German) at Percussion Creativ's Teachertage Schweiz: www.percussion-creativ.ch . (Followed by Dom Famularo.)

Thursday, 20 November, he is playing Exil Club with Nerve.

Patrice

Last edited:
Did any of you notice he hasn't been using his 10" rack with Nerve anymore? I'm not sure, but I think it's most likely because he feels he doesn't need it to play with that group, so he got rid of the extra weight...

Thoughts?

Jesus, that was so refreshing! Some Tony and Vinnie in that stuff, love it. That snare drum sounds awesome in that room.

Yeah, a few years back when I watched those mid 90's clips on youtube I said the same thing. You can see the obvious, Tony, Vinnie, Weckl influences. Also would add Dennis Chambers.

What's really more fascinating is how much his technique refined and improved between '95 and '05.

I watched one of the clinics JoJo did, specifically the one where he talks about the distance between 0 and 1. I was really intrigued, and really had never thought about improvisation in that way. Some guy said it in the comments section on youtube, but I'll say it here. JoJo deserves a PHD in music.

Vinnie Colaiuta comes to mind.

Dennis Chambers is a thought.

Two guys that are somewhat similar to his style.

You asked. I answered. ;-)

But, don't think I don't like JoJo for 1 milli-second. He is absolutely awesome. No doubt! And one of my top 5 living right now.

Vinnie yes. But Dennis? no way.....

Back