Your Wisdom Woodshed

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
this thread is dedicated to the practice drumkits and drum rooms or woodsheds we use. its not meant for gig kits but as a way of looking at how we surround ourselves and set ourselves up so we can progress. see dom famularo's ideason his now famous wisdom woodshed.

so i will start:

KEY

1-animal puppet
2-side mirror.
3-drills and exercises stuck to wall in plain view.
4-little clock with a second hand to time exercises.
5-front mirror with (dry-wipe) writing on it.
6-music stand with file and a work book on it.
7-my drumming dvd collection.
8-td8 drum module.
9-sharp laptop to play dvds and record ideas on cubase.
10-subwoofa and speaker system for hearing without the cans.
11-practice pad (so I can get used to an auxiliary snare.
12-drumometer connect to 11.
13-stool with my trademark blue velvet jacket.

Hahahaha. My favorite part of that post is how you put the animal puppet as #1!

Cool set man, I really like the look of that E kit. How do you like it? I think my parents are thinking about getting me that, especially afater I got double bass. They cant take it.

That room is awesome man. I think thats how my room is going to be in a few years; drum stuff laying all over the place, in every corner in the room.

Btw, I like the picture on Dave Weckyls book. He looks like an 80s hair metal rocker lol.

• its nearly silent. the bass spurs ar on a carpet resting on the stone of the old fireplace so there is no bass through the floor boards.
  • the sounds and options from roland are awesome.
  • i love the fact that i can mix my cds with my playing and get great volume balance without having to blast my ears with accoustic drum levels.
  • also the module has a very versatile metronome which allows for all sorts of odd time signatures.
  • another advantage is being able to record myself playing a new idea very slowly and carefully, then speeding it up to see if it really does sound muscial at top speeds...then i can modify it or keep it, safe in the knowledge that when i can play it fast it will sound great.
j

ps: thank goodness i live in the era where poodle rocking hairstyles are a thing of the hilarious past.

pps: animal is a must. he reminds me not to take myself too seriously...i love drumming for the wildness as well as the art.

Electronic drums instead of accoustic, and PC instead of Mac....

I'll pass.

;-)

When we move into my new house next weekend (A huge house even by US Standards in the country, detached, no neighbors!) I'll start to make one of the 9 rooms into a woodshed!

Stu

NUTHA JASON said:
another advantage is being able to record myself playing a new idea very slowly and carefully, then speeding it up to see if it really does sound muscial at top speeds...then i can modify it or keep it, safe in the knowledge that when i can play it fast it will sound great

hehe yes! that's one thing I sometimes have done with my v-drums. Even a few times i would record one beat, and then overdub fills (involving toms, snare, and bass) on top of the same track in the module. Then i would use the faders and listen to each instrument on its own and write out the part for the whole set. And then learn it! Whew, its tricky stuff, but quite insane.

stu's woodshed:
Woodshed.jpg

key

1-my toilet tree
2-where I keep my apple
3-sound proof roof
4-my drum set (note: accoustic)
5-nice view to inspire me
6-i sit here

j
lol.

Last edited:
My pracitce area is my computer room with a pad!

I have the same headphones as you Nutha.....they are quality.

Oh man, I got totally owned.

At least that tree is Maple right?

My little practice room, 10'x11' with my stuffs. I did my kick practice pad from some pieces of wood i had, so how to turn a boring cold sunday afternoon into something cool.This room is in my basement where was my oil heating system, i ripped it off and did some soundproofing. So this is my place.

Attachments

• SA400083.JPG
    SA400083.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 10,458
  • SA400085.JPG
    SA400085.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 10,321
  • SA400086.JPG
    SA400086.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 10,249
  • SA400088.JPG
    SA400088.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 10,250
  • SA400091.JPG
    SA400091.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 10,117
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 10,003
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 10,040
yes, i wear ear protection most of the time but the room is pretty dry. In the wall, i have safe'n'sound wool plus a Sonopan board and a resilient bar betwin the Sonopan and the plaster board.also i putted a 1/4" foam under the carpet. ceiling same as the walls but i will put a suspended ceiling instead of the plaster board. Cool place to hide when you're the only man in the house lolllll.

NUTHA JASON said:
stu's woodshed:
Woodshed.jpg

key

1-my toilet tree
2-where I keep my apple
3-sound proof roof
6-i sit here

j
lol.

Best post ever, omg hilarious. lmao

Nice one... stu i really respect you for pracktising out there ;) I'm concidering getting myself a room like that for my dog,, i think he would really like it there..

Drum room

If I wanted to build a space in my relatively small attic to play drums what would be the minimum size for a 5 piece kit a fan/heater and a CD player and speakers?

NUTHA JASON said:
stu's woodshed:
Woodshed.jpg

key

1-my toilet tree
2-where I keep my apple
3-sound proof roof
6-i sit here

j
lol.

HAHAHAHA Stu totaly owned man LOL

My room is very small i seriosly think im going deff!

Back