in the market for a differnet kick head, suggestions?

PS3 here as well.... depending on the type of sound you want of course. If you're looking for that punchy, "kick you in the chest" modern kick drum sound, a PS3 is hard to beat. If you check out rock drummers' set ups and look at what guys are using, it's usually a PS3 or the Evans equivalent. With that being said, I wouldn't put one on my 26x14 Ludwig 3 ply drum. It's got a coated emperor on it and it sounds perfect for the type of sound I want from that drum. The PS3 wouldn't do that drum and it's sound justice. I have a 22x18 DW "X" shell kick with a PS3 on it and mic'ed up, it's absolutely devestating.

so i just bought a new kit (pearl mcx) and its got a 24x16 kick. my old kit had a 24x20 kick. now my foot technique is pretty good, i can do fast singles and really consistently fast doubles (ive worked on this for years lol) but im having a little bit of flutter coming from the beater on the batter head. Its not a huge flutter but i can hear it nothing short of really loosening the head makes it go away... Im tuning the head just ilke i did on my old kick (24x20) and it never fluttered like this. I dont have it super tight or anything odd, so my only idea is that the extra 4 inches really dissipated some of that air and gave the head less rebound. the strange thing is that the rebound feels the same, if it felt alot tighter i would understand, but it doesnt.

its annoying the mess out of me cause i cant get it to go away without really loosening the head and make it sound like shit.

Both kicks have the same ported reso head and ive tried using the same batter head on both (emad2). also i used the same muffling on both kicks.

The only thing I can think of to make the flutter is that you are switching to a shallower bass drum. which you had mentioned. That extra 4 inches is gone, and so is a LOT of air moving. Just think of it this way.....

24x20 inch bass drum, you have 480 square inches of space inside that bass drum. 24x16, you only have 384. Youre losing almost 100 square inches of airspace inside your bass drum, making each pedal stroke a little bit tighter, therefore getting the "flutter" youretalking about. Do you use a patch on the bass drum? I know with the Emads you dont really need one. What kind of beater do you use? Maybe expirimenting with different patches and beater materials will help in getting rid of the flutter. Or maybe try loosening the reso head as well. This may absorb some of the moving air a little bit more. Hope this helps.

i personally love the evans onyx emad with the wide foam dampening ring on it, that with a double patch for my double pedal sounds great on my kit tuned kinda low.

Back