Jean-Paul Gaster

drumfiend

Anyone like the guy. Just saw him tearing it up at Alley Katz in Richmond, Va. I've seen Clutch about 20 times but this show was by far the best! I was right above him and stayed there both sets. If you've heard him play you know what I mean. I wish he had something up here!

JP is definately one of my favourite drummers around. He seems a really cool guy and hes really good live too. I think he downsized his bass drum recently but I'm not sure.

Oh God, JPG. What a beastly, amazing player. I swear, the hands and soul of Bonham were transferred into an overweight manly man now known as Jean Paul Gaster.

he is definately one of my favorite drummers! he is a big influence in my drumming. i love clutch to death also

I think Jean-Paul Gasters playing is awesome. He is a modern day Bonham no doubt. Clutch kicks ass. Now that is what rock should sound like!!

I think Jean-Paul Gasters playing is awesome. He is a modern day Bonham no doubt. Clutch kicks ass. Now that is what rock should sound like!!

Agreed. Have you seen them live? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!

For a player of his calibre from a band as good as Clutch, JP Gaster really deserves a lot more posts in his thread. His drum sounds are some of the best going around I reckon.
Hopefully he can get a little more awareness in the drumming community.
Go buy a Clutch CD, "Robot Hive/Exodus" is probably a good one to start with if you're unfamiliar with them.

I saw Clutch playing with Stinkin Lizaveta and Corrosion Of Conformity a while back. The drummer from the other bands stood and watched JPs set and as he came off toward them bowed to him.
I dont know who the COC drummer was (it wasnt Stanton Moore) but the drummer from Stinkin Lizaveta was great. Cool to see them appreciating each other.

Probably the only modern heir to the Bonham throne. He's phenomenal. One of the recent singles from the newest record called "Electric Worry" has a monster shuffle about midway through.
What a groove that guy has.

JP is a great drummer, Clutch rules. this band should be way more popular and succesful then they are. they get little to no support from fm radio, its a crime.

JP is a great drummer, Clutch rules. this band should be way more popular and succesful then they are. they get little to no support from fm radio, its a crime.

I think you underestimate how popular clutch is. For the fact that they get no radio support they have HUGE fanbase. They play to make music, for their fans, and to do things on their own terms. They're as popular and as successful as they want to be. If they were signed to a major label and had as much exposure as other bands, it would change what their music stands for and THAT would be a crime.

only just joined this forum and was searching through to see if there was anything on JP,i love clutch, ive got most of their albums and i really respect JP's playing, ive seen them live a few times now and each time they've been excellent and i get home thinking how i wish i was in a band that good and must try to get my own playing as tasteful and groovy as JP'S

My guitar player turned me onto Clutch last year....and I've been listening to them more and more lately....just excellent drumming on those albums. I missed my chance to see 'em live a couple months ago but that won't happen again.

Does anyone happen to have a transcription of the drum solo at the end of [SIZE=-1]Electric Worry? I'd like to take it apart and learn it, it's a great solo - not too over the top, not too long...and slick as hell.
[/SIZE]

Jean Paul Gaster of Clutch

I've been a huge clutch fan for the past 10 or so years and finally got the opportunity to see them last night. What an experience. Jean Paul Gaster was more than inspiring to me..not just by his spot on playing and jazz influenced chops but also his on going desire to just play..these guys tour constantly and unlike most drummers in bands that tour this much, staying back stage partying up until 10 minutes before they go on.. Gaster had a little practice pad set up on the side of the stage behind the wall of speakers facing the stage..from the minute the first opening band started to play, Gaster was on his practice pad facing the band warming up on his pad nonstop til the band was done..the same with the second opening band..also with his eyes glued on both drummers in a very observant and respectful manner.. it was very apparent his complete love for the drums.. especially when he played..I've never seen anyone play with such feeling and emotion.Treat yourself to some awesome drumming. Go see Clutch.

Re: Jean Paul Gaster of Clutch

He's definately worth seeing. I saw Clutch play with Stinkin Lizaveta and Corrosion Of Conformity and when Clutch were on both the other drummers stood at the side to watch and when he came off they applauded him and bowed in the "we are not worthy" way.

Great, great drummer.

One of my favorite drummers of all time. Then again I've been listening to clutch for about 10 years now and just plain love the band. I've seen them live about 10 times, and on a few occasions had the pleasure of watching JP on some kick ass solo's during these concerts.

My first experience with Clutch came with the Pure Rock Fury album and I fell in love with this band. The band seems to bridge a gap between retro/classic rock and new rock. I find this band to have a few similarities to tool (one of my favorites and yours). Very provocative lyrics, powerful and infectious grooves, cult following (despite rather low profile) oh and witchdoctors behind the drums. I find the parallels remarkable considering how different their music is.

Jean-Paul is a murderer on those drums. I love the minimalist approach to a maximized sound. I find his tempo and chops are more impressive now that I've determined his hands are made of "led."

Back