DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default What's actually going well for you in your world of music?

I've been sulking way too much about things in regards to playing/not playing, getting older, trying to find a new/additional gig, no time, stressing out over the Christmas programs I'm involved in, etc. However, through a series of happenings over the past day or so, I decided to try to focus on the good that's happening in my world of music. Here are the things that are going well right now:

1. My band has a gig every weekend for the next three weekends. Tonight we play at a brewery that I've been trying to get us booked at for a few years. Next weekend, we play at a local harvest festival where over 70,000 people will be in attendance (not everyone will hear us, but a lot of people should). The weekend after that we have a pretty well-paying gig as well.

2. I ordered new Heartbeat cymbals last week and they should be in next week.

3. I got my Pork Pie drums back from my church after being there for over 8 years in addition to all of my A Customs (ride, 14" and 15" fast crashes). Also, I got my favorite snare back of all time - my Pearl Masters MCX in transparent black.

4. I got to try out some G2 coated heads on my drums last night and I love them.

5. A Guitar Center opened last night that's only an hour from my house (I live so far out in the sticks, this is a BIG deal to a lot of us. I try to buy local, but NONE of the shops have anything I need because I play drums and not the freakin' banjo).

6. I've reconnected with a guy who I used to play music with who is a magnificent guitar player, and he's in a band that I'd like to fill in for. I've also played music with the lead singer before as well and told him last week I'd like to fill in some time. I think they are both excited about it.

7. My wife is coming to my gig tonight without the kids. :)

Once I count my blessings, you know, things aren't so bad! How about you? Take a minute to talk about what's going WELL in your world of music. Tell me about your band, gigs, recent accomplishments, acquisitions, etc. Let's focus on the positive for a little while. :)

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 09-28-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: What's actually going well for you in terms of playing and gear?

1) I have a drum set that sounds like I’ve always wanted one too and stays in tune for a long time.

2) Love HHX Evolution cymbals. They’re just the right mix of sounds I searched for a long time.

3) Started taking lessons last year and a After years of being an intermediate player, I’ve finally seeing improvement.

3) I’ve got the gear I need and love, so finally stopped constantly looking, but will probably still look just because it’s fun. :)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's actually going well for you in terms of playing and gear?

I have two bands that are both different and challenging/rewarding in their own way.

My playing is at a very comfortable place in terms of rock and similar western styles. I have a lot of ability to "say" things with drums and usually I can execute the ideas in my head.

Due to so much jamming/open mic practice, my ability to improvise and come up with things that fit something I've never heard before is great.

I have enough gear I like that I don't need to worry about it.

I have an amazing independent drum shop owned by a local drummer one town over in my hometown I grew up in. I support the hell out of them. For birthdays and Christmas (etc), I have people buy me gift certificates for them, and I rip them up so that it's just free revenue for such a cool guy getting us access to really relevant gear.

Growing up was amazing and a solid portion of my memories come from nights with my friends jamming to 3 note progressions having no idea what we were doing.

I have access to a really cool drumming forum where I get to know some pretty kool kats.

Last edited by Dr_Watso; 09-28-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's actually going well for you in your world of music?

My playing is probably as good as it's ever been, and the things I have needed to work on most have improved steadily.

I have enough gear to have two different kits in two different places at once.

I have solid membership in two bands and I am getting calls for other projects, to the point where I have had to gracefully decline some fairly lucrative gigs.

I have reached an above-average income and can buy needed gear pretty much at will. In fact, my music pretty much supports itself right now, purchases from Andy notwithstanding ;)

I play different styles of music often enough that I'm not getting burned out bu the amount I'm playing.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:00 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
1. My band has a gig every weekend for the next three weekends. Tonight we play at a brewery that I've been trying to get us booked at for a few years. Next weekend, we play at a local harvest festival where over 70,000 people will be in attendance (not everyone will hear us, but a lot of people should). The weekend after that we have a pretty well-paying gig as well.
Wow, you have more gigs than I do! That said, I have a gig tonight opening for Dave Mason and Steve Cropper. :)

I feel privileged to have a long-term, enjoyable, profitable, and fairly enviable full-time gig, as well as additional bands that (normally) keep me busy between tours. At age 62, I feel I'm playing better than ever, still have great stamina, and still enjoy my career as a musician.

Bermuda
Old 09-28-2018, 09:29 PM

My groove is going really well. I've been working on this mainly for the last few years and find that I can dial it in much easier and more often than before. The groove used to be more of an elusive occurrance now & then. Now it's more on demand with a little focus. Diggin' it!
Old 09-28-2018, 09:30 PM

I love positive threads

this actually made me start thinking

I recently reconvened with a band I was in about 12 years ago for a series of pretty high profile shows starting with a sold out Starland Ballroom in NJ on Nov. 3rd.
it gets me back to some of my roots playing loud aggressive music ... as much as I have loved the mostly jazz, pop, and funk/hip hop gigs over the past decade or so nothing quite takes the place of two thousand kids going crazy so I'm pretty excited about these shows

I also have a killer collection of vintage drums that I absolutely love and really enjoy tinkering with and talking about with other collectors

also ... because the only kits I have are my vintage 60s kits and a Gretsch Brooklyn bop kit I had to go buy a kit to accommodate the upcoming hardcore gigs ... so I went to a local store and found a lightly used Spaun kit in red sparkle

it is the first 24" bass drum I've ever owned ... 24,12,14,16 ... kit sounds great

this is also the first time my feet have touched a double pedal in a decade ... so it is sort of like a new beginning ... my left foot has spent all these years making the hi hat speak that it has felt a little foreign since starting rehearsals but I'm enjoying finding that part of my playing again .

what's great is that I don't even care about the money for these gigs ... which will be very good ... but I swear I would do them for free just for that rush of watching the large crowds swarm like a hive of angry bees

my Spaun kit

some of my vintage loves
Old 09-28-2018, 09:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm REALLY liking my new Agop rides.

I'm in a state of transition musically speaking. I left my band of 8 years. The good part is I am not tied to a regular commitment.

I am in an original blues band now. They only want to work like twice a month. This allows me to do other stuff, which I am. I'm finally playing 97% blues with good players like I always wanted. It's nice to be a free agent.

I like their songs a lot. So that's cool. Keys, sax, bass, guitar and drums.

We do a handful of covers. Here's my favorite. I always wanted to do this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWRjus3end4
Old 09-28-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm REALLY liking my new Agop rides.
I'd love to hear those at some point uncle L

they are such wonderful instruments... and each one an individual and very different from the next of the same size and make
Old 09-28-2018, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Not too much. Probably need to win my case to really turn things around.

1) My school merged with the neighbouring town's school. New boss, more students etc... It's a good thing and will be for the better over time, but reality is that I probably won't be there forever and I'm a bit tired of starting from scratch all the time.

2) Have a Skype lesson with Gary Chaffee on Tuesday. At least I'm trying and it's about time I finally did this.

3) Ordered myself my own saxophone. Nothing special, but at least it's my own.

4) I got the responsibility of teaching the young brass students, so I had to learn myself. Always had a plan to do that and though it's a work in progress the progression is pretty fast. 3 weeks in and apart from not being able to play that long I'd do fine any average amateur band.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

I have 3 beautiful sets. I have very talented musicians/friends in Cleveland and Staten Island that I gig with occasionally. I'm retiring from my day gig soon which will free me up to explore more permanent band positions. My health is good. Stamina will need some work. Lastly, I'm blessed with family that understands my love of music.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:07 PM

We get to open for Journey in December in San Antonio. I'm pretty excited about that...might get to meet Steve Smith.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

That kit is gorgeous, Tony. Kinda reminds me very much of one I think I've seen Gaster with in the past, think his was green, but very similar.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Not so much in the way of gigs or equipment purchases lately. However...
My left hand has regained a lot of it's strength and dexterity since suffering a stroke in January.
It's no where near where I was before, though i certainly can hear and feel the improvement's happening. It's a lot of work but it's certainly worth it.
This forum, Drumeo and Youtube have contributed massively to my deeper understanding of technique and a logical approach towards developing speed and strength.

Therefore, I might have treat myself to a new cymbal or something soon!

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 09-28-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

I've ditched my "best" band that nobody wanted to hire. (And I didn't like most of them much, and most of them were tossers.)

Now I am left with a band that isn't the best band in the world, but is THE most fun anybody could ever hope for, and another band that is, despite my best efforts to the contrary, turning me into a Rock Goddess.

What's not to like?

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:23 PM

Two years ago, after a 10 year hiatus from drums, a couple of newer friends asked me to start a band with them playing all original tunes. We started practicing once a week for a couple of hours each week. I have to say that the songs we play are some of the strongest songs I've ever played.

After a year or so, we started renting some shared rehearsal space. This past May, I took over the lease to the space, brought in my drums, hardware, cymbals, our PA, etc. We now have the space 3 full days a week for not much more than what we paid at the hourly rental space. So everything is great on that front.

About 6 months ago, I started practicing again on my own, and I've been putting in about 3 hours (or sometimes more) a day, 6 days a week at home. I'm now a better drummer than I was when I stopped playing, so that's going well, too.

What's going even better is not just what I've mentioned, but what I've "let go" of since I started practicing again.

In the past 6 months, I have not played a single video game (I used to easily play 5 hours a day and sometimes 10 or more each day on the weekend), I drink a lot less and I also "smoke" a lot less because I need to practice sober (rehearsals are another story - hey it's rock 'n roll).

So, while there are things going well from strictly a musical point of view, there have been other benefits that I didn't think would come about from delving back into music. I'm glad I did.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:33 PM

The deadheads I've been playing for a few months are really appreciative of the work I've put it to better myself. It's nice to be recognized.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 PM

I love the tone of this thread. Sounds like you fellas are doing alright!

As for me, the band that I've been part of for 18 months is really starting to come together. We've been gigging steadily throughout the summer (at least once every two or three weeks) and we're being given more and more opportunities. The responsibility that comes with being paid to entertain has made us better players too.

I was recently asked to substitute (sight unseen/unheard) for what surely has to be one of the best drummers in my town and that first practice with the new band went really well. Their regular drummer is light years ahead of me but the band seemed to be really pleased with what I brought to the table. It was a huge confidence boost and leads me to think that I might become a regular if the original drummer moves on or continues to take on extra work. Our first gig is in three weeks and we'll be playing three 45 minute sets. They've hired me for two more shows after that.

Lastly, I had a bit of an "eureka!" moment a couple of weeks ago while working with my Tune-Bot. I'm now able to tweak batter/resonant head relationships without slavishly adhering to charts and other people's tunings. It's a pretty big deal for a guy who couldn't tune to save his life two years ago.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
I'd love to hear those at some point uncle L

they are such wonderful instruments... and each one an individual and very different from the next of the same size and make
I've been wanting to post a blind audio test between the 4 Agop rides I have, and my thoughts on them. I'm curious for honest opinions, yay or nay, as jazz type rides are pretty new to me. I love them but I am curious to hear what the jazz drummers have to say about them. I'd describe them as halfway between full out dark semi trashy jazz rides and a Sabian or Zildjian ride.

One of the Agops is an Xist, the non hand hammered version of Agop cymbals that sound to me like they are trying to cut in on the Zildjain/Sabian market. VERY affordable ($214 brand new 21" ride) cymbals and they have a complexity unlike the Z's and S's I played. They are modern bright, not like their hand hammered cousins. Anyone will be able to pick those out.

Give me a bit, I'm in the middle of a home improvement project that should get a break in about 2 weeks.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Things are going pretty well for me these days.

I have a rock and pop trio that plays out once or twice a month.

I just joined up with a guy to be part of a backup band for a singer/songwriter guy who just released an album of original material.

I'm a member of a band that plays original music that's a mix of rock, folk and blues and we have a gig coming up in a couple weeks.

I started a piano jazz trio and I'm about to start pounding the pavement looking for gigs.

A guitarist/bassist friend who writes original music and does some rock and metal covers occasionally calls me for special recording projects and gigs.

A funk band with a horn section occasionally calls me for sub gigs.

A jazz guitarist friend who had been out of the scene because he was too busy with his day job is available again and we're playing out again.

There's a group of really good local jazz musicians who have a night we call "Real Book Wednesday" where we play standards just for fun at the bassist's house.

I have a buddy who calls me for recordings when people rent his studio and want the "house drummer."

I'm also taking piano and music theory classes again, to keep sharp and help me finish some music I've been writing.

Lots to be grateful for. Thanks for the thread.

Edit: I almost forgot my current favorite thing! I'm working through the Tommy Igoe Advanced Lifetime Warmup from the Great Hands For A Lifetime DVD. I can play 90% of it, but the parts I can't play are going to take a while. I spend an hour or more every day just working on that stuff and I love it. So great to have a measurable goal to work towards. When I can finally play it, I will post a YouTube video. Could be years from now, but I'm gonna get there.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

Whats going well in mine is just the new musical discovery of old music. Loving grabbing everything Tony Williams from the early 60's and just letting it take me away! I dont overthink jazz music, I couldn't if I wanted to, I lack the education or high level understanding. I simply find the stuff I like to be beautiful, moody, wonderful music that I can listen to over and over and Im flying every time.

That and knowing I have a jam situation coming up in a month or so, so Im just banging out singles, doubles, triples, paradiddle and sometimes rrlr llrl on a pad. Is that a rudiment? Inverse paradiddle? I also try to like buzz my paradiddles, although I dont know how helpful or useful the exercise is.

Trying to be positive about not a whole lot going on in my musical world.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

All the focussed practice on faster, tighter 1-handed 16th notes on the hihat (ala Gadson) the past 6 months is showing results.
The train beat has never been easy for me but I am making headway.
Loving my 13-16-20 setup.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Oooooooooo, Lots.

Have just secured an Artist Endorsement deal with Scymtek (Spaun)
We go on tour next week to Spain, Italy, Switzerland, France & Belgium.
We go on tour on October 31st to Brazil & Chile.
We celebrate our 40th anniversary as a band in 2019 :)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:52 AM

We just released my band Maj Deeka's first single, which I recorded in my dining room, then mixed and mastered myself. I'm really proud of it. Here's a link to it on Spotify.

I've started making videos promoting the Rush set I put together for October 20th - the band I put together sounds really good (sounds like Rush, I guess) and people are really digging what I've been putting out. Here's the overture of Hemispheres, played by us.

And I've got two gigs this weekend: a well-paid country gig where I can play my big Gretsch kit, and a Maj Deeka has a set at a local music festival where we're going to melt as many faces as possible.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsabianguy View Post
We just released my band Maj Deeka's first single, which I recorded in my dining room, then mixed and mastered myself. I'm really proud of it. Here's a link to it on Spotify.

I've started making videos promoting the Rush set I put together for October 20th - the band I put together sounds really good (sounds like Rush, I guess) and people are really digging what I've been putting out. Here's the overture of Hemispheres, played by us.

And I've got two gigs this weekend: a well-paid country gig where I can play my big Gretsch kit, and a Maj Deeka has a set at a local music festival where we're going to melt as many faces as possible.
That Hemispheres video - you guys are TIGHT. Fantastic job to you!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

I stopped gigging at the top of the year due to back surgery and I think I may like music and drums again. I spent 10+ years gigging like a career musician would on top of my day career. I never touched a drum unless I was at a gig. Now that I'm not depended upon to get out there every night I am thinking about setting up a spare room for a couple of my kits to just play.

Eventually I'll need to play with others, but it will be because I am interested in the music.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Lots of things, actually. Not many / all are drum related.

- My focus over the last 3 years has shifted to learning woodwinds. I have an amazing teacher in a school of music and arts in my town that was originally founded in 1920 and continues to thrive to this day. I started drum lessons there in 1978 and my teacher there changed my life forever. Back in the early 1980's I was also in the school studying piano, took "classroom" type classes on music theory/harmony as well as music history. All of the faculty there are highly educated world class players and highly proficient at teaching. Looking forward to my lesson today. It's really pretty awesome to be back in the school as student after all these years.

- My drums are up and are purely there for my enjoyment these days to go shed some goals. I no longer gig and have no desire to ever do it again at this point in my life. I have all the gear I will ever need and in fact have donated some hardware to a close friend. Someday I my sell more... Like A LOT more...

- My daughter has made first clarinet in school and she looks to me for assistance on all of her material, which I love to do with her. 20+ years of teaching has brought me to this point and I can't think of a better opportunity to share the love of learning than to do it with her.

I've learned that things change on the musical road and nothing is forever.

eta: This is a really cool thread. I enjoy reading everyone's "place".

Last edited by dmacc; 09-29-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:55 PM

I'm working through The Breakbeat Bible, and really enjoying it

My '71 Acrolite

I'm almost done renovating my bathroom so I'll have more time to play!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

First and foremost I have a wife and kid who actually enjoy hearing me drum. It makes doing it even more awesome.

My home is in the woods. I can drum whenever I want. Trees and deer don't call the police over noise.

I have gone back to visit the rudiments and am applying them to different parts of the whole kit instead of just coordination exercises.

I added a 12" tom to the left of the 10" and it has opened up some new doors of creativity.

Learning the double stroke foot technique for extreme double bass speed is kicking my ass but I am enjoying it.

As someone who has owned and tinkered with guitars over the last 20 years, I finally had an ah-ha moment a few weeks ago and now I sort of get it. Everything just worked all of a sudden. I love that feeling.

I have been discovering so much new enjoyable music lately thanks to this newly acquired smart phone that I resisted for years. Guess I do like some technology.

I am in a place right now where I am happy. Home life is good, work is good, and that make life in general a good thing too.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

This is a great thread. I was thinking the other day how some people love playing drums and others really enjoy everything about drums themselves. I have a friend who bought numerous snares, high kits, and has a collection I would only dream about but he bought all before he could actually play drums (had a big windfall). Lots of people collect drums and don't even play them (like some people do with guns-I have a friend with a huge collection but I don't think he has shot a gun in a decade or longer). Some people love one or the other and others are luck enough to enjoy both. I really never had an appreciation of differences in drums or hardware till DW.
So after that idiotic introspection-let's talk about "Me"!!!! Well I'm really starting to hear a difference in my playing-thanks to DW and a lot of wonderful suggestions. I spent a lot of time working on my kick dexterity and left hand for years but at the expense of my hi hat and ride as it turns out. But after really working on my ride technique, and working on my left hi hat foot-things are moving along nicely. I once got criticized over my swing feel-I wish I could play for them now (I'm getting there). I am "kick crazy" cause I' have a habit of adding to the back beat by switching to tapping out the melody at times or just adding stuff-so now I'm trying to just keep it simple (sounding way better). Finally after having to reinvent how I play brushes (for decades like relearning all over again)-I've "finally" got a grip I like (I tried match and traditional in all combinations with both hands) and a defined technique that works for me. I do it at least once week cause I fear I'm going to fall back into the abyss of feeling like I'm starting all over again. I hear people use the metaphor of a drumming journey-which it is. And it is an infinite journey but sooner or later you come back to the beginning-which is where I feel like I am at now-after 55 years and 63 years of age I feel like a beginner and I'm improving (that's a great feeling). And I'm going to be a GrandDad-I can't believe the detail of ultrasound-she is so beautiful! I gave my son-in-law a drum kit-which he plays some-I think we both knew my ulterior motive some day ;) LOL. Girl drummers rock!!!
Old 09-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Once I count my blessings, you know, things aren't so bad! How about you? ....

Is it Thanksgiving again already - LOL

Life is good.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

The thing that cracked me up when I first read the thread title was the “actually” part! Are we a bunch of downers? Damn...I just bought a limited edition ( insert brand name) and got a smoking deal. Why does my life suck? LOL!!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
And I'm going to be a GrandDad-I can't believe the detail of ultrasound-she is so beautiful!
Congrats!

Old 09-29-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
...so Im just banging out singles, doubles, triples, paradiddle and sometimes rrlr llrl on a pad. Is that a rudiment? Inverse paradiddle?
With the paradiddle in the middle? It's a paramiddlediddle. rrlr llrl
Old 09-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Linear exercises around the set, including doubles and paradiddle variations in both hands and both feet. Very slow, finding new patterns to challenge myself, paying very close attention to groove, technique, flow, and tone. Today I came up with doubles in the feet against singles in groups of three in the hands. Challenging, and really good for stick control. Not all that useful for grooving, but probably great for my brain.

Freddie Gruber’s doubles technique, with the first hit in French grip and the second in German grip. I’ve expanded this to 2 or even 3 hits in French grip followed by 1 in German grip. This has been huge for my control and speed. And it’s fun.

My Jenkins-Martin fiberglass sets. They are just great in every way, for live playing, recording (concert toms), etc..
Old 09-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsabianguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
That Hemispheres video - you guys are TIGHT. Fantastic job to you!
=> Agreed, nice job!

Somewhat related to music: This past spring and summer, I've cleaned up my diet and gotten back to doing a ton of cycling. I'm now leaner and more energetic than I've been in years. Now, playing a gig is literally, no sweat!

Also just received an inquiry from a band and I'm looking to see if I can fit it in with everything else I'm doing. Always nice to have people interested.

Last edited by spleeeeen; 09-29-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:37 PM

I've been gearing up for my marching band's halftime show next week for my school's homecoming. Couldn't be anymore excited to get back into playing with band again after two weeks off.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:52 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I mean with drums...no one thing has brought me so much joy and satisfaction. Food could compete lol. I mean I look on every gig, practice, whatever, good or bad, as a positive experience. Because no one gets hurt with music. Butt hurt maybe, different discussion.

All the time and effort spent in achieving being able to play with others, can be a drag at times for sure, but once the music starts and the crowd is feeling it, it's all worth it.

Unlike most things in life, music...basically can't hurt people. It's all good.

Has music ever hurt anyone?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I mean with drums...no one thing has brought me so much joy and satisfaction. Food could compete lol. I mean I look on every gig, practice, whatever, good or bad, as a positive experience. Because no one gets hurt with music. Butt hurt maybe, different discussion.

All the time and effort spent in achieving being able to play with others, can be a drag at times for sure, but once the music starts and the crowd is feeling it, it's all worth it.

Unlike most things in life, music...basically can't hurt people. It's all good.

Has music ever hurt anyone?
Man I need to start gigging again-I can do it. What I loved about gigging is people from 10-80s get up smiling and shaking a leg-just animates people from the dead. I love that-little kids and little old ladies give me a great joy as I watch them dance and enjoy themselves (near the beginning and near the end- no matter they still love it).
My Mom at 90 could barely see and couldn't hear yet put her in front of piano and watch her go from hunched over to sitting up, smiling, and her fingers dancing on the piano to perfection-it amazed me. I think about that as I lose my hearing-will be able to play deaf from memory of a song-then again I'm getting older so my memory can decline. I know it sounds crazy but I've told people I can feel the music and drums-I tease bone conduction and my head vibrates like a tuning fork but maybe I'm not teasing.....maybe? Bonehead will be my deaf drummer name LOL. I'll get my artist daughter to make me a reso bass head with my head like a giant tuning fork and "Bonehead".
Old 09-30-2018, 12:39 AM

Been on tour most of this past spring and summer.
Getting ready to play The House of Blues in Chicago on Monday.
My employers album (on which I played all drum tracks in the studio) was #6 on Billboard blues charts the beginning of this week.
Wednesday through Sunday we’re hanging out at the King Biscuit Festival in Helena, AR.
Then we’re hitting the road on tour through Florida for a couple weeks, ending this run playing Ground Zero in Clarksdale and a few other gigs in Arkansas.
Not too shabby for a guy who was jockeying an IT helpdesk up until this April.