dwforever

Are any of you guys punk drummers? Whats it like? Do you enjoy gigging? This may seem like a bland topic, but I seriously want to know how you guys can deal with clapping out one few minutes of fast beats after the other. Must be painful. Theres usually one or two fast songs in my sets and I dread them; they are just so uncomfortable and daunting.

If you dread playing up-tempo songs, get some instruction. Improving your technique will help you play with less energy output.

It also helps to not be a pansy wimposaurus rex.

I'm more metal than punk, I expect I do alot more hard work at faster speeds than the average punk drummer.

Playing fast is what I got into drumming for to begin with, I was trying to go as fast as I could as soon as I got my first kit 10 years ago. Yeah it's hard work physically, but just like anything... if you do it alot it starts to come naturally, and when it starts to become 'easy' you feel quite a sense of power, you feel like your right at the front leading the charge. something I don't think you can get from playing slower stuff, or 'laying back'.

But, like me, if you ONLY play as fast as you can for the first few years of your drumming, then the slow or quiet songs will be the ones you dread, because you don't have a feel for slow groove and you're gonna sound loose and amateur.

These days I can do slow and fast (also loud and... a-little-less-loud, still working on that), I've spent the last few years trying to expand my skill set, so I can groove well in many different styles, but playing at breakneck speeds is still the first thing I want to do when I sit down at the kit and what I find the most exciting to play, just as breakneck speed music/drumming was what I found most exciting to listen to before I was a drummer and when I was starting out.

When I first started playing in the surf band my wrists and forearms would ache after every rehearsal. My legs, not so much since most of the songs call for straight quarter notes on the bass drum. I ended up changing my grip to the German style and it helped considerably.

I'm a punk drummer and I love to gig. Love to play fast, and especially when it's fast and tight. Stamina is super important, not just to play songs consecutively but just to be able to get through the beats cleanly.
It's also a great workout. I can lose up to 15 pounds on a 1-month tour. There's lots of great stuff to do at high speed, and once you get into the mindset you can really explore.

Doing one or two fast songs a set would be a bit tricky if you weren't used to playing at the speed. It probably feels like you're always pushing yourself, and also can have the tendency to tighten you up.

But there is nothing more crushing than a screaming fast drum beat. Oh yeah!

I'm currently playing in a Surf Rock band and the constant fast 16th's remind me of my formative years playing punk in the late 70's.

Like anything, the more you practice, the better you get.

As for gigging: Love it.

I play some numbers at 150bpm-plus. I play only the 1/4 notes on the hats and ride and let my feet hit the 8ths. It seems to work out easier that way. I run out of steam for 8ths on the hats at 130bpm-ish

I play only the 1/4 notes on the hats and ride and let my feet hit the 8ths. It seems to work out easier that way. I run out of steam for 8ths on the hats at 130bpm-ish

That's a good way to do it. Playing quarters on the hat can help your speed. In some situations, it can even work to your benefit, since you can really get a beat to chug with quarters.

I practice some of this stuff at home. Fast pop punk kinda stuff. Haven't played too much of it in a band yet.

It's quite predictable music, so not hard to figure out. Great fun to play.

I'm around 13st now, whereas I was 3.5 st heavier at one point in my life not too long ago. To be honest, I'd much rather be this weight now playing drums as I feel a lot fitter. Improving fitness and stamina is always a good thing.

It can be a challenge staying relaxed in such hectic music, especially with single pedal bass drum technique. I think there's a lot to be said for body posture and sitting upright. It allows for less tension in the legs. It can be difficult to maintain this and stay calm. A lot of time there's a real temptation to push the foot hard and tense up as a result.

Work on your hands as Dr Watso said, cos then your technique will save you draining yourself. I'd also recommend conserving energy by holding off on the intensity in the less complicated parts of the songs.

Drumming punk is awsome. I usually play slower music (soul/r&b/pop) so I don't have the stamina to play the faster punk rock songs. What I usually do I substitute 8th notes on the hats for 1/4s. Or play a broken 8th note hi-hat pattern. Gets you some funky rythms that way as well.

Best way to get better at punk beats (and fast beats in general) is to play them. Don't be afraid. Play them day in and day out. Before you know it'll be easy...

Yep, I'm a punk drummer by accident, I say that because I'm not really into punk music, but a couple of years ago my ex's brother asked me for a favor, he wanted to play NOFX's The Decline for his bday party, I said sure not knowing myself what I was getting into jajaja, well eventually that led to me forming a band with him and this is the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNqfWVLBUA&feature=share&list=UUBpW3xNmbZCouTS1QyYlO0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZXjzWSZOU&list=UUBpW3xNmbZCouTS1QyYlO0w&index=1

Like anything on drums practice getting the motion at a slow BPM and slowly bringing it back up to speed. This should help.

I play in a pop punk band, you can check out a couple songs/drumming here:

http://worthmores.com/

I think the first song is around 230 bpm (it fluctuates, didn't use a click), and we have some that are faster.

I also play in a bit more laid back rock/folk/indie band and they are definitely way different from a live performance perspective. Whoever said that you get the feeling that you are more "right up front" and driving everything was right on.

I've found that over the years, very minor tweaks to technique will completely change your muscle stamina. You just need to do it over and over and over until it is consistent I am now trying to work on my right hand even more so that I can play 8ths for long period of time on our fastest songs. I can get through a few songs playing super fast 8ths on the hi hat but I worry that my hand would be gassed by the end of the set. But I am nearly there.

Punk drumming is really fun.

-Tom

Yep, I'm a punk drummer by accident, I say that because I'm not really into punk music, but a couple of years ago my ex's brother asked me for a favor, he wanted to play NOFX's The Decline for his bday party, I said sure not knowing myself what I was getting into jajaja, well eventually that led to me forming a band with him and this is the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNqfWVLBUA&feature=share&list=UUBpW3xNmbZCouTS1QyYlO0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZXjzWSZOU&list=UUBpW3xNmbZCouTS1QyYlO0w&index=1

That's hardcore right? Sounds like it to me.

EDIT: Didn't realise that hardcore is a sub genre of punk.

EDIT: Didn't realise that hardcore is a sub genre of punk.

I gave up trying to keep up with all the genres. It's exhausting. I was playing punk drums until someone told me I was playing hardcore drums, then I was told I was playing D-beat drums, and all this time I was just playing the same drums I've been playing all along.

Tom...I like your stuff. Good smacky snare drum, too!

Numberless, cool bro band! Falling backwards into punk rock is a great way to do it. I've got a band with my brother that has been recording for years, but he's afraid to play out. Bummer.

I gave up trying to keep up with all the genres. It's exhausting. I was playing punk drums until someone told me I was playing hardcore drums, then I was told I was playing D-beat drums, and all this time I was just playing the same drums I've been playing all along.

It wasn't really the style of drumming that made me think of hardcore. The drumming sounded very punk style.

More the vocalist, who was very much in the vein of a hardcore singer.

Good luck with the band.

Back