What would you do if a band member accused you of stealing his stuff?

This is the bad boy zone. Here I am, like a moth to the flame!

Did I tell you guys about the time one of my former guitarists stole my Tascam 4-track, ESQ1 sequencer and other home recording stuff back in the 80s?

I did? About half a dozen times? Bugger.

For what it's worth, there's probably a few people in here that haven't heard about it - including me..

So how about it? I'd love to hear this

Tell him to shut the f*** up about the microphones before you punch his lights out.

You gotta get right in the grill of someone like that and call him out.

Actually I think being calm about it and just telling him you weren't involved is the best way to go. If he senses that the accusation got your heart rate up even 1 BPM, it will be like a shark attracted to waters with blood in them. Never stoop to his level. If he continues this nonsense unabated week after week, then tell the rest of the band you're going to have to bail because of this lunatic. Maybe they can talk sense into him. Or not.

My concern over quitting would be that others may think you actually did steal them. If accused, definitely confront him and ask who he thinks stole them. My answer would be "what would I do with two microphones?" Would he think you pawned them for cash?

Also, why did this guy Dan leave? Was there friction between him and the accuser?

+1

I couldn't do that. It would be an admission of guilt that isn't there.

However, I would certainly consider confronting him. Laying it on the line and then walking.

"Look pal, I didn't steal you mics, and you can shove your band up your backside for even thinking it"

Then, if an apology was forthcoming, then fair enough.

Back