Piano or sax?

i dunno which one to take up, drums is my main instrument...i know learning piano is more useful for me, but any words u guys mite have wud be appreciated to help me make up my mind...true i can do both, what do u guys think?? any advice...

Re: PIANO or SAX????

I played piano since a young age, and Tenor sax in high school for a few years. I would reccomend piano (although sax is fun) because you can play chords rather than just one note at a time. Plus you can work on independence between the two hands on piano.

Both of them are very pleasant to listen to.

Definitely piano. You'll end up knowing more about music than anyone else in your band, and if you get good enough at it you can play solo gigs.

Piano is definitely a better *skill* to have, especially as a working musician. You can compose for all instruments, it's in the universal key, and you will learn a lot of music theory that you wouldn't get with a sax. But the saxophone certainly is fun.

Bring one of your rods to a music store or a drum shop.
They should have a claw and a rod that fits your drum.
The claw may not match exactly. Just switch the claw that doesn't match with one by the bass drum pedal where it won't be noticeable.
Most stores stock the common size rods.

piano is "polyphonic" you play all parts of the sheet music, I took piano when i studied music in college. fun, usefull instument. just my thoughts.

Another vote for piano. Actually, all musicians should learn piano. Alot of them do.
However, chicks dig guys who play saxophone.....or, guys dig chicks that play saxophone ;)

Piano has my vote. I love me some Dave Sanborn but I've always had a huge appreciation for the ivories. My sister got the piano skills, I just beat up on stuff.

My main instrument is the drums, but I play around with the alto sax and the piano.

Between the sax and piano, they inspire different improvisations. This could be the limits of my playing, but when I play the piano I tend to play more chords and rhythmic type melodies then a true melody line. The sax is all melody, and I improvise true melody lines not just a rhythm. The sax has the ability to sustain notes. Of course, an electronic keyboard also has sustained notes.

Yeah, you can understand more theory from the piano, but to have a real contrast to the drums and play melodies, the sax is the instrument.

Another vote for piano. Actually, all musicians should learn piano. Alot of them do.
However, chicks dig guys who play saxophone.....or, guys dig chicks that play saxophone ;)

Seen Mika from Sigh? Hot Japanese chick that growls and plays sax in an Avant-Black metal band. Supposedly has a phd in physics as well, win/win all around.

I definitely recommend piano. Piano comes with lots of transferable skills which should always be welcome in music. I played for twelve years before converting to drums, and it was definitely worth it.

Both. They're both good. So do both. There you go, problem solved!

piano is easier to learn

I don't think that's true...

I don't about piano or sax though. All i know is that there's nothing better than a sick funk sax solo. Just listen to Funky Drummer off Jungle Groove album or Joshua Redman.

Although piano is helpful probably in more cases than sax, sax is still my favorite woodwind instrument and i'd choose it over piano.

I play Alto.
Piano is more linear as far as learning.
It would be easier to compose for different keys in piano.

You can't carry around a piano, like a sax though. You could always have a sax around.

Either is fine, it will strengthen your musical vocabulary. Dexter gordan is very inspirational, so is Art pepper.

Back