Drum Manufacturers

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Here is something that might be of help to new drum buyers. It is a list of drum manufacturers and the different lines of drum kits they make.
At the top of each list are the lower level kits. The bottom of the list are the higher level kits. In order from low to high.

I have this in a word document but I converted it to picture files.
You can find them here:

http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/car-shows-and-such-1/drum-manufacturers/

And here is the master list.

MASTERLIST2-vi.jpg

This list helps me identify kits when I see them for sale.

If you see any major errors on my lists please let me know so I can correct them.

Last edited:
Nice work. It makes it easier seeing them all together like that. When you're new to drums, or getting back into them after a break, the amount and variety available can seem a bit much. A chart like you made helps make it managable.

Just from a quick glance, it looks like the Yamaha stuff isn't in the right order.
Phoenix is the top line. Oak should come after Tour, and be followed by Club.
I'm not sure about where the Absolute and Recording lines correspond to each other, - someone else will have to chime in on those, but they're both between the Club and Phoenix.

Most of those are in a sort of limbo area now until new lines are announced in January.

wow --- very cool ! the only thing i didnt see when i read through quickly was Sonor Phonics (heavy, beech shells) from 70-something (?) until 80 or 90.

Here is something that might be of help to new drum buyers. It is a list of drum manufacturers and the different lines of drum kits they make.
At the top of each list are the lower level kits. The bottom of the list are the higher level kits. In order from low to high.

I have this in a word document but I converted it to picture files.
You can find them here:

http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/car-shows-and-such-1/drum-manufacturers/

And here is the master list.

MASTER-vi.jpg

This list helps me identify kits when I see them for sale.

If you see any major errors on my lists please let me know so I can correct them.

Ludwig Legacy are top of the line USA made drums.Centennials are discontinued.

Club Dates are imports but also available,as well a Vistalites and Stainless Steel drums.

Cavern are imports and not actually a line of drums but a finish,made for GC.

Top of the line Tama drums are the Star line,followed by Starclassic..The Swingstar line is somewhat in Limbo.Superstars are to my knowledge,only available in hyperdrive sizes.

Steve B

Nice work. It makes it easier seeing them all together like that. When you're new to drums, or getting back into them after a break, the amount and variety available can seem a bit much. A chart like you made helps make it managable.

Just from a quick glance, it looks like the Yamaha stuff isn't in the right order.
Phoenix is the top line. Oak should come after Tour, and be followed by Club.
I'm not sure about where the Absolute and Recording lines correspond to each other, - someone else will have to chime in on those, but they're both between the Club and Phoenix.

Most of those are in a sort of limbo area now until new lines are announced in January.

OK Thanks.

Looks like the Yamaha list should look like this:

GigMaker - Introduced in 2010, the GigMaker series is an entry-level kit made from basswood/poplar shells.

Stage Custom Birch - An intermediate-level kit made from 100% birch shells.

Rock Tour - A new line of drums introduced in 2010 aimed for rock and metal drummers.

Tour Custom - Introduced in the early 1980s, Tour Custom drums consisted of a mahogany/birch blend for a deeper fundamental tone.

Oak Custom - Drums crafted from 100% Japanese White Oak wood which is a very dense hardwood and equipped with YESS mounts.

Club Custom - Reintroduced in 2011 by Steve Jordan during his visit to Japan based on popular request.

Absolute Series - Drums made from either North American maple or Hokkaido birch.

Recording Custom - Yamaha's longest-running series of drums for more than 40 years. Made from birch and features a large, high-mass lug that extends the length of the shell.

Phoenix "PHX" Series - Introduced in 2009, the PHX is Yamaha's new flagship line made from eleven-ply hybrid shells.

Ludwig Legacy are top of the line USA made drums.Centennials are discontinued.

Club Dates are imports but also available,as well a Vistalites and Stainless Steel drums.

Cavern are imports and not actually a line of drums but a finish,made for GC.

Top of the line Tama drums are the Star line,followed by Starclassic..The Swingstar line is somewhat in Limbo.Superstars are to my knowledge,only available in hyperdrive sizes.

Steve B

Thanks !!

So the Ludwig list should look like this?

Accent
Element
Epic
Cavern
Centennial
Keystone
Classic maple
Legacy

Tama drum lines are so confusing, with all of those "stars". Star this star that.............

Thanks !!

So the Ludwig list should look like this?

Accent
Element
Epic
Cavern
Centennial
Keystone
Classic maple
Legacy

I would say more like:

Accent
Element
Element SE
Centennial
Epic
Epic X-Over
Keystone
Classic Maple
Legacy

I don't know what Cavern is, so I eliminated it. Centennial is indeed discontinued, but I suppose it belongs in there because they turn up on the market. I think they'e sort of neck&neck with Epic quality-wise, Centennial being maple, and most Epics being birch(although that's also changed recently.) The X-over was a short-lived but very cool line - maple & walnut - and they rivaled the USA drums quality & sound-wise IMO.

You have some curious inclusions on the list... Orange County and Crush. Really?? I might also say ddrum doesn't belong there either. And there is a glaring omission on the list. I won't embarrass you by saying their name, but their initials are D.W. :) And what about the more popular boutique builders, especially Pork Pie? They're in Guitar Center, and it's hard to ignore a presence like that.

Bermuda

I would say more like:

Accent
Element
Element SE
Centennial
Epic
Epic X-Over
Keystone
Classic Maple
Legacy

I don't know what Cavern is, so I eliminated it. Centennial is indeed discontinued, but I suppose it belongs in there because they turn up on the market. I think they'e sort of neck&neck with Epic quality-wise, Centennial being maple, and most Epics being birch(although that's also changed recently.) The X-over was a short-lived but very cool line - maple & walnut - and they rivaled the USA drums quality & sound-wise IMO.

You have some curious inclusions on the list... Orange County and Crush. Really?? I might also say ddrum doesn't belong there either. And there is a glaring omission on the list. I won't embarrass you by saying their name, but their initials are D.W. :) And what about the more popular boutique builders, especially Pork Pie? They're in Guitar Center, and it's hard to ignore a presence like that.

Bermuda

Thank you so much !!

Oh darn, I'm so dumb. I did a list of DW drums but I left it off the list !

I'll work on the list some more. Yes, I know it was hard to determine who to leave off the list.
I hope this does not turn into a nightmare. It was just a simple list of the most common drums we see for sale.

Thanks for omitting us from the list. It saves me the bother of developing entry & mid level kits ;) ;) ;)

Ha ! Good one.

I used this list to hunt for a new drum set at stores and on line.

Yeah, I thought about including your drums but I feel they are so far above most of the others it would be kind of like hunting for a Stradivarius violin on Craigslist.

...I hope this does not turn into a nightmare. It was just a simple list of the most common drums we see for sale...

Don't take it too serious. It'll be useful to people just as it is, for a general, ball park idea of what's what.

If you did take it serious, it could turn into a major project, with types of wood, hardware, sizes available, and tons of other stuff. LOL

Don't take it too serious. It'll be useful to people just as it is, for a general, ball park idea of what's what.

If you did take it serious, it could turn into a major project, with types of wood, hardware, sizes available, and tons of other stuff. LOL

Thanks Bill !

OK here is my DW list. Does it look OK ?

Design Series -

Performance Series - Officially launched in November 2010, Performance Series drums are made with DW's "HVX" maple shell technology.

Eco-X Project - Drums made with bamboo/birch X-Shells.

Classics - DW's vintage drum line made from poplar and mahogany with maple reinforcement hoops to create a vintage sound.

Jazz Series - DW's drum line made exclusively for jazz drummers.

Collector's Series - DW's flagship line of drums made from either North American maple, birch or cherry.

Rock Tour - A new line of drums introduced in 2010 aimed for rock and metal drummers.

Tour Custom - Introduced in the early 1980s, Tour Custom drums consisted of a mahogany/birch blend for a deeper fundamental tone.

To add to the confusion:
In the late 80's/early 90's there was a Rock Tour Custom with extra thick shells.
It didn't sell all that well, and only lasted a few years.

Tama is also confusing, because has used the name "Super Star, "Imperial Star" and "Swing Star" both in the 80's and again more recently, with zero relationship between the 80's versions and the modern versions.

I would say more like:

I don't know what Cavern is,
Funny, because you own one.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99342

It's what GC called them in their marketing literature.

Yes, I know it was hard to determine who to leave off the list.
I hope this does not turn into a nightmare. It was just a simple list of the most common drums we see for sale.

I didn't mean to suggest that any brand/series is unworthy, I just don't see consistent criteria. Of all of the names there, I take the most umbrage with (what's left of) Orange County, currently a Guitar Center brand whose US line is made by another boutique builder. I'll leave it at that for now.

Bermuda

Back