Your Jazz Supergroup

wsabol

Gold Member
Similar to the rock one, just for us jazz guys. Instrumentation is to your discretion as well.

I have two.. that might be cheating, but whatever. I can't decide which one to choose.

Drums - Brian Blade
Guitar - Pat Metheny
B3 - Joey Defrancesco
Tenor - Michael Brecker

Drums - Jack DeJohnette
Bass - NHOP
Piano - Herbie Hancock
Tenor Sax - Joe Henderson
Trumpet - Freddie Hubbard

Last edited:
Drums - Vinnie colauita
Guitar - Scott Henderson
B3/ keys- Scott Kinsey
Tenor-jeff coffin
bass - Linley marthe

Drums - Jack dejohnette
Bass - Jaco pastorius
Piano - Herbie Hancock
Sax - john Coltrane
Trumpet - Miles Davis

first group:

drums: anthonio sanchez

percussion: airto (afro-cuban and auxiliary perc), zakir hussain (tabla, other eastern perc)

piano: eddie palmieri

bass: victor wooten

trumpet: wynton marsalis

saxophones: Karl dennison (greyboy allstars/ tiny universe)

trombone: troy andrews aka "trombone shorty"

second group

drums: jeff ballard

guitar: john scofield

bass: charles mingus

synth/keys: chick corea

sax: jerry mulligan- barritone

Super old school:

Piano: Scott Joplin

Trumpet: Louie Armstong

Drums: Zutty Singleton

Guitar: Johnny St. Cyr

Here's a band that I would have loved to hear. Just to discover how they would integrate their approaches and what the result would sound like.

John Coltrane: Saxes
Keith Jarrett: Piano
Ron Carter: Bass
Tony Williams: Drums

No fair. I don't know anybody. Let me see, Gene Krupa, or Matt on drums. Louie Armstrong on Trumpet.

Drums - Elvin Jones
Bass - NHOP
Piano - Herbie Hancock
Tenor Sax - Joe Henderson
Trumpet - Freddie Hubbard

Neils Henning was a freak of nature, so I have no doubt he could adjust to any style, but would there have been the necessary chemistry between him and Elvin Jones? Still it's cool to think about such a combination.

Abe's inclusion of Jaco Pastorius into a classic Miles Davis lineup has intriguied people for decades because of how close that all came to actually happening. The Coltrane/Pastorius grouping could have been phenomenal had Coltrane lived long enough to see it happen.

if it's my jazz supergroup I'm assuming it's me on drums and the jazz won't be conventional ......

Bass - Jaco Pastorius

Horns - the Brecker Bros

Lead Trumpet - Louis Armstrong

Vibes - Pierre Moerlen

Guitar - Allan Holdsworth

Keys - Burt Bacharach

Vocals - Melanie (Safka)

Drums - Steve Smith
Keys - Herbie Hancock
Sax - John Coltrane
Bass - Jaco Pastorius
Percussion - Alex Acuna

Drums - Jack dejohnette
Bass - Jaco pastorius
Piano - Herbie Hancock
Sax - john Coltrane
Trumpet - Miles Davis

Quite a lineup, Abe. For my tastes I think I'd replace HH with Joe Zawinul.

Whatever, I can't imagine improving on some of MO's or Weather Report's lineups. Be nice to slot Jean Luc Ponty, Jerry Goodman or Michal Urbaniak somewhere in these linups.

Whatever, I can't imagine improving on some of MO's or Weather Report's lineups. Be nice to slot Jean Luc Ponty, Jerry Goodman or Michal Urbaniak somewhere in these linups.

Ponty is playing with RTF this summer( and he's really short.. ) Hey, weather report was pretty fine as is.. At least you n I thought so... Perhaps with the inclusion of miles...

Ponty is playing with RTF this summer( and he's really short.. ) Hey, weather report was pretty fine as is.. At least you n I thought so... Perhaps with the inclusion of miles...

Or maybe replace Wayne Shorter with Michael Brecker? (again, for my tastes). Some of those bands Joni Mitchell put together were pretty supergroupy.

Never was much keen on the heavy RTF - much preferred the more ethereal early version with Joe Farrell, Airto and Flora. Good luck to JLP, though - fabulous musician.

Or maybe replace Wayne Shorter with Michael Brecker? (again, for my tastes). Some of those bands Joni Mitchell put together were pretty supergroupy.

Never was much keen on the heavy RTF - much preferred the more ethereal early version with Joe Farrell, Airto and Flora. Good luck to JLP, though - fabulous musician.
yeajoni!!!!! my fav Joni band- Jp, metheny, lyle mays, brecker and alias... And yes, that was a supergroup.Shorter or Brecker....... Hmmmmm tough but I'd go with shorter.

yeajoni!!!!! my fav Joni band- Jp, metheny, lyle mays, brecker and alias... And yes, that was a supergroup.Shorter or Brecker....... Hmmmmm tough but I'd go with shorter.

Weren't they an amazing band? Creme de la creme. And Michael Brecker's playing in that band is why I chose him over Wayne S - just a bit raunchier and less "purist" (right word?). But then again Wayne's more inventive ... ummmmmm, I might sit on the fence with this one :)

Brian Blade would be fab in that lineup too. Forgot McCoy Tyner ... I'd be relaxed seeing him in any "best of" band ...

My ignorance shackles my desire to chip in here, but I think you've got to include our very own Stan for anything with a atmospheric bent. I love Stan's interpretations, or maybe it's just me finding his playing accessible?

Pn: Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand)
Bs: Ray Brown
Dr: Martin France (there that's got you hasn't it?)

Good game.

I agree Weather Report line up at it's various stages takes some beating.

Keys: Joe Zawinul
Bass: Jaco Pastorius
Drums: Joe Morello
Sax: Paul Desmond
Percussion: Alex Acuna

This would either work or clash horribly. I'm not sure but the mix of Brubecks players and WR would be crazy. Oh and I love Desmond's sax playing.

Davo

The small jazz group that played before more people and for the most years was MJQ:
John Lewis - piano
Milt Jackson - vibes
Percy Heath - bass
Connie Kay - drums

The small jazz group that sold the most records of all time was the Dave Brubeck Quartet:
Dave Brubeck - piano
Paul Desmond - Alto Saxophone
Gene Wright - Bass
Joe Morello - Drums

The small jazz group that broke the racial barrier on public stage was a breakout from Benny Goodman's Big Band:
Teddy Wilson - piano
Benny Goodman - clarinet
Lionel Hampton - vibes
Gene Krupa - drums

Someone else already mentioned Armstrong, and there was others too led by Miles, Cannonball, Yardbird, Diz and so on. Fantastic groups one and all.

Back