Your opinion on people's impressions of drummers

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I had a girlfriend once, worst girlfriend I ever had, and I distinctly remember her asking me, "Why did you pick the drums?"

She said it like she just smelled a big pile of rotting poop.

It was very negative, like why would I even consider them when there are much "better" choices?

Is this the general public's view on drummers?

FWIW, my answer was, I didn't pick drums, drums picked me.

It was probably the best answer I could have given, she half shrugged and sorta got it. Still doesn't make up for her initial attitude.

Thoughts?

Totally see where you're coming from, it's similar to the one I always get on job interviews when they see a music degree on my CV. "Why don't you work in music for a living?" In the same sort of derogatory tone.

I put it down to ignorance and total jealousy that we can hit things and get paid to do it.

Plus we have things called bassists that make us even better looking on stage:)

I've never had a negative attitude towards me because I'm a drummer, quite the opposite in fact, non musicians friends and people generally react really well when they find out I play drums and many have told me that they do love drums in music (I always tell them that it is not too late to start drumming, lol).

Never had a problem with the bands I played with either and I never felt like being the less "musician like" in all the bands I've been with.

Larry, you should have asked her why she picked you... She might have said it was because you're a drummer! :D

I suspect that people think it's so stupid easy.

Kind of like why are you playing on the merry go round when you can shoot baskets? Why don't you grow up lol.

I've never had a negative attitude towards me because I'm a drummer, quite the opposite in fact, non musicians friends and people generally react really well when they find out I play drums and many have told me that they do love drums in music (I always tell them that it is not too late to start drumming, lol).

Never had a problem with the bands I played with either and I never felt like being the less "musician like" in all the bands I've been with.

Larry, you should have asked her why she picked you... She might have said it was because you're a drummer! :D

I got the impression it was embarrassing for her on a certain level to be dating a drummer. She was they type that would have rather been with a policeman or soldier. She ended up marrying a police officer.

Stripes and plaids. Some people just don't mix well.

I have to say, I don't run into that attitude much anymore, but I certainly remember plenty of occasions where I did. Maybe it's a US thing.

Yes, Larry I think you are correct. It looks easy and lots of people can (sort of) play the drums.
A drummer meet-up group just started in my town. While watching 10 drummers playing their drums all at the same time I had some thoughts.

Drumming is such a primal activity. Hands down it is the oldest form of human musical expression.

Seems to me that drums are the only musical instrument that necessitates the need for hearing protection.

Also, drums played all by themselves produce a very annoying sound.

The publics view of drummers is very mixed, some appreciate that it requires creativity and skill, some think it's the instrument for dim witted fools. The most annoying preconception is that drummers are stupid (I have a PhD in science). All we can do is do our thing.

Also, drums played all by themselves produce a very annoying sound.

I have to agree with this on a certain level. I prefer my drums in context with other music.

With exceptions of course. I love breakdowns, trading 4's or whatevers, but a dedicated drum solo...only in very select few hands am I fond of them. I like Jimmy K's solo stuff.

Remember him? Jimmy Kadesh is his full name. He used to post his solos frequently here.

The publics view of drummers is very mixed, some appreciate that it requires creativity and skill, some think it's the instrument for dim witted fools. The most annoying preconception is that drummers are stupid (I have a PhD in science). All we can do is do our thing.

That does it for me. Nice assessment.

I suspect that people think it's so stupid easy.
It looks easy and lots of people can (sort of) play the drums.

I've heard many people saying that it looks easy to play the drums, many times I agreed with them that the drums are perhaps one of the easiest instrument to get quick results with at the beginning, I also told them that once they've past that stage, playing the drums will be as difficult as any other instruments.

Everyone thinks they are a drummer and it does look easy but so does tennis-Yeah good luck on that. I've done gigs with orchestras that during practice I'll notice another musician beating along slapping on their knees and drumming along. I remember the first time thinking gosh they must think they can do better, or I must be doing something wrong, but then realized-yes there is a drummer in all of us and heck I beat along all the time too. Good drumming is often pretty simple-because it isn't center stage but the infrequent fills and even more rare solos does allow some dynamic drumming. Heck the least prepared and simpler I play I get way more compliments than when I really try and get too busy and complicated=I'm my own worse enemy.

When people find out I'm a drummer, they seem very impressed. Even more so when they find out I play in a band.

I think they're somewhat envious that I get to do something that is pure joy for me.

When people find out I'm a drummer, they seem very impressed. Even more so when they find out I play in a band.

I think they're somewhat envious that I get to do something that is pure joy for me.

This ^

Never had a problem getting girlfriends being a drummer :)

Most people meet me as a technical sales person first, and find out much later (if I decide to tell them) that behind the seemingly boring office job I do something so much cooler and have the space for it in the basement. The men usually get a jealous look in their eyes while the women... well it's a very different kind of look :D

Professional drummer, I don't know if people consider it a humble job, I know one professional drummer and _I'm_ the one who feels humble when he sits down at my kit and makes it groove like there's no tomorrow :S

So Larry, do you think her derisive attitude would have been there if you said you played any other instrument? Just wondering since in my experience, those who turn up their noses would do so toward anyone so child-like and irresponsible as to be wasting their time playing music - that's what loser kids do.

I used to work with a guy (another engineer) who openly admitted that when he was in high school and college, he and his friends (who were jocks) made fun of the muso-types. But the real kicker was that he was a closet bass player secretly learning all these Geddy Lee parts! If only his "friends" knew about that! I jammed with him on a couple occasions and he was actually quite good and talented.

My first reaction upon hearing this was total annoyance, but then I felt kind of sad for him. Here was something he obviously loved doing that was at odds with the norms of his social circles, so he practiced on the down low while going along with this idea that musicians were scum.

I can't even imagine what must've been going through his head all those years. He was well into his 40s before he decided it was okay to play - tho his wife still had some heartburn over it.

I've heard many people saying that it looks easy to play the drums...

Sheesh! How hard can it be to hit stationary things with sticks?!?

It's not like playing an F chord on a 12 string guitar...

On the plus side, I'd bet most drummers can pat the top of their head with the right hand while rubbing their tummy with the left. ;-D

I've heard many people saying that it looks easy to play the drums, many times I agreed with them that the drums are perhaps one of the easiest instrument to get quick results with at the beginning, I also told them that once they've past that stage, playing the drums will be as difficult as any other instruments.

I don't think even that is true. First notes on a flute or piano are much easier and don't require any predisposition. Whereas if you put a random person behind a kit the result is usually catastrophic.

I wanted to play the drums since I was in my 20s (loooong time ago) when I first started to pick up on the skill involved, but I can remember before that thinking the drummer was just hitting stuff. I didn't even know they used their feet! I certainly didn't think they were on the same level as the guitarists (even though I've never wanted to play guitar). Guitarists had to know about music, drummers just hit stuff.

I also didn't really understand the concept of a band. Like - why do they call themselves The Who, or The Animals? Thought it was just the singer and any old backing musicians.

Like I say that was a long time ago. But I think it gives me an insight into what people think of drummers.

On the other hand, I also get a lot of kudos personally when people know I'm the drummer in a band. But I still think it's only because it's unusual (especially for a woman of my age) and a different hobby from say knitting, or gardening.

Back