Setup

drummingman

Gold Member
I play a single bass setup. All of my time playing I have set the bass drum up right in front of me. As of late I have been experimenting with setting up my bass drum off to the right a bit like one would do with a double bass setup (I use a double pedal and I put the left pedal where I would put the second bass drum).

Setting up this new way seems to be better for my back because I don't have to twist it (which has been a positive experience for me thus far). Has anyone else had this same experience by setting their bass drum off set from center? Or has your experience off setting your bass drum been negative for you?

I set my bass drum to the right on a single bass setup. I feel much better and that it makes more sense to be symmetrically balanced between the bass drum and hi hat.

I don't think I've ever known anyone else to do this haha, would it even work? I sit with my snare directly in front of my stool, and the bass drum pedal where my right foot sits, just to the right of the snare stand. I thought everyone did this... how do you even play with the bass drum directly in front of you? Wouldn't the pedal be in the snare stand and your right leg would have to go through the snare? Be interesting to see a picture if you've got one? Anyway, I recommend you keep with the new set up of bass drum off to the right.

Yes, I do this. I had a double bass kit and then I went to a single bass Yamaha MCA with a double pedal.

It makes sense in a double bass kit to keep the snare in the middle and the bass drums either side of it and so I have duplicated that arrangement with one bass drum. The gap on the left is filled with a hi hat and a cymbal.
I like to have a triangular arrangement of the snare and rack toms and so having the bass out to the side allows for the snare to still be at the centre of the kit in the same way. It's just that convention has been to set the single bass up in the middle.
I think that some people set their kit up to look good while others set theirs up to be easy to play and that is the route I have taken.

Back