Used Frontline Custom Drums, Should I buy?

TXC

I recently got an offer to buy a set of frontline custom drums (with snare) all tube lugs, with a pair of z custom hats, a Zildjian A series ride, and a lot of decent quality hardware for $375 cash if I buy it this weekend.
If I bought them, would I be able to flip them for a profit even by taking them to GC or Sam Ash? (Worst case scenario)
I'll try to attach a picture of the kit.
The quicker the input, the better, thanks!!!

Why the cash ,and must buy by this weekend deal?Why the rush by the seller?

I would start asking questions.Unless the seller has extenuating circumstances,or is known to you....those kind of rush sales with a deadline,could mean stolen goods.

Custom drums in general,hold very little resale value.Buying and flipping,probably isn't a good plan.That kit when new ,probably cost upward of 2500

If you check Ebay sales of custom drums,they sometimes sit there for quite a while, before someone buys them,and at a fraction of the original retail price.

Flipping a known brand of drums...is a much better way to go..

According the their website,which dosen't list any prices,Frontline uses Keller VSS 8 ply maple shells(I'm shocked).So the're esentially hardware hangers.

That hardware looks pretty generic,so the only thing special about that kit would be the finish,which IMHO is nothing to write home about.

I Guess if you like Keller shelled drums(which are excellent),and were going to keep them,then it's a good deal.

Steve B

those deep tom sizes aren't for everbody so it may be a tough sell if you are trying to flip it quick. you can email g center and get a quote on what they will offer you.

If I bought them, would I be able to flip them for a profit even by taking them to GC or Sam Ash? (Worst case scenario)
Are you sure about that? And if that's the case, then why isn't the seller getting more for them?​
Do you know the seller? 'Cause you might know a lot more than you've disclosed in this thread. (like why the "weekend" or else timeline. Or else, what? The seller will ask more. That usually works the other way. People start high, can't sell, and go lower.​
I'd say, if you're in the market for a new kit (or a second kit) ..... and the seller is on the up-and-up, go for it. But flipping this kit, you might be holding onto it a lot longer that you think.​

Are you sure about that? And if that's the case, then why isn't the seller getting more for them?​
Do you know the seller? 'Cause you might know a lot more than you've disclosed in this thread. (like why the "weekend" or else timeline. Or else, what? The seller will ask more. That usually works the other way. People start high, can't sell, and go lower.​
I'd say, if you're in the market for a new kit (or a second kit) ..... and the seller is on the up-and-up, go for it. But flipping this kit, you might be holding onto it a lot longer that you think.​

The seller got them as a repayment from a service he provided to a friend. He is not a drummer. He posted it briefly on craigslist a while ago, but he is in a pretty out-of-the-way area so nobody who was interested in drums saw it. I contacted him again recently (he hasn't advertised them since, he just kinda gave up and they sit in his parent's basement), he still had them, was asking $400, I offered $300 on condition that I'd get them out of his way by the weekend so he wouldn't have to worry about them taking up space anymore.
He knows next to nothing about drums, he just kinda guesstimated price and I decided to capitalize on it (yes I know, its not the most morally sound thing on my part, but he's perfectly fine with it).
If they turn out not to be my style, I could use the hardware, and another snare never hurts. If worst comes to worst, take the tube lugs off, build my own kit out of the sizes I want and sell the shells.
I hope that answers any questions, I'm trying to be as transparent as possible so that you guys can help give me the best advice possible.

Those Keller VSS 8 ply shells are more than decent shells and are pro level in every way.That kit tuned up,should sound great.I just really don't like deep bass drums

Why not just cut down the bass drum to say to 14"(shallow bass drums are coming back,and deep ones are going away),and refinish the kit to something a lot better looking.

Keep it as a spare,or gigging/practice kit.Just sell the cymbals

Those shells no doubt, have a very nice outer maple ply,and would look great in a natural maple finish.Now you have a pro level kit in every way...for a song.

Steve B

Hello everyone here. I just wanted to send out an update on this post. I created an account to PM the original poster and let him know that these were in fact, my drums and had been stolen along with a trailer full of sound gear in November of last year. I honestly scoured the depths of the internet for months looking for these and there never was any trace....until yesterday.

I happened to be browsing Craigslist to check pricing on a car for a friend and thought i'd look again for my kit, seeing as I was already there. After finding no hits there, I ran a Google search and came up with this thread, and my heart sank. I couldn't believe I was looking at my kit in the flesh. I hurriedly posted to him to contact me ASAP as I had knowledge of the kit and needed to explain. Once he had the chance he texted me and we got the needed info to the Detective on the case.

They put together a search warrant and confiscated the kit from the Craigslist seller last night at 8 p.m. He was not the original thief, but someone who did actually take the kit as payment for bailing a friend out of jail, a friend who we now know. The only thing missing from the kit now, is a DW9002 double pedal and a Tama Firstchair throne.

The kit IS a Keller shell kit with VLS maple shells, bearing edges cut at dual 45's and 50 degree offset tube lugs to more evenly distribute the tension across the shell grain. This has led to awesome tuning stability and amazing tonal qualities. I know not everyone likes the lacquer finish and to be honest it's chipped from years of touring, but the sizes are perfect for me.

The snare is a 14x7.5 15ply shell which has always given me amazing volume and projection, along with massive amounts of snare sensitivity. The rack is a 12x10 6 ply, the floor is a hanging 16x14 6 ply (hanging for insane amounts of resonance) and the kick is a 22x22 cannon. The depth and power out of that kick is not like any i'd heard before. The response is heavy and the attack is strong. When I had the kit made I was touring a lot with a hardcore band so volume and power were crucial, and this kit fit every bit of the bill.

So many of you who posted here were right, these were all red flags that i've looked for over the years when buying used gear online. You can never be too careful. But I just really wanted to say thanks to TXC for working so hard to help me get my baby back. The last several months have been excruciating and difficult to work through with no kit. Insurance has paid out to replace the kit, but it's still currently in production (steam bent bubinga shells) so now I at least have a kit to get me by for gigging.

I literally just searched after 5+ months of trying to forget yesterday morning to find a post made not but 8 hours earlier. It just goes to show you NEVER give up hope and there are truly good, honest people out there willing to help. Thanks so much TXC!

Yeah,I'm retired law enforcement ,so there was just something about that whole deal,that just wasn't right.

Anyway,I'm glad you got your drums back,because so few drummers recover stolen drums.

Sorry if I insulted your finish and bass drum ,but hey,different strokes.....

Cudos to TXC for doing the right thing here also,and helping out a brother,get his stuff back.

Steve B

This is a great result all round. Love it when someone gets their stolen gear back. OK, still a bummer, but there's always something satisfying about squaring the circle.

Nice one Steve, for raising the red flags too :)

Back