The five most important things about drumming?

drummerjr

Hi, i wonder what you think are the five most important things in drumming.
I've noticed that the most drummers think differently about this.
Here comes the five things that i priorate: Groove, musicality, time, technique and real feelings.

What do you think? =) ps. (Sorry for my english)

By the time you start working with others, I would assume your list is already done. I take it from a business end. My number one thing is to actually get to the gig on time, set up (dressed correctly) and ready to play at the downbeat. If you can't do that one, it doesn't matter if you can do your other five things. Nobody will hire you.

In no particular order:

√ Attitude
√ Dedication
√ Talent
√ Opportunity
√ Timing

Why five things?

For me there's always been one: You've got to show up at the gig.

It applies to everything in life.

The older I get, the more astounded I become by how many people self-sabotage in such a mad variety of ways.

At least they're creative.

As a drummer:
- solid time
- knowing styles/tunes
- reading
- basic snare drum facility
- basic drum set facility

As a musician:
- performance experience
- professionalism
- dedication/persistence
- networking
- love of music

Your English is fine, by the way- far superior to my Swedish.

sticks
drums
cymbals
heads
knowing how to use

I've got one, stay away from hard drugs and booze. May sound funny or preachy but it just destroys bands...and musicians.

I'm not even going to mention the drumming part, that's all on you. Everybody knows you need good meter, good tempo sensibilities, facility on the instrument, and a hundred other things...if you aren't firing on all the major fronts, it ain't happening. So neither is more important than the other. They are simply the ingredients you need. But beyond that..In no particular order

1. Your actual time spent playing with others and practicing, both are necessary

2. Your attitude/work ethic

3. Your own musical sensibilities...you should have your own, hopefully well thought out, opinions about things.

4. Knowing what role you play in each particular musical situation. A lot of drummers I hear don't have much of a concept of how to support the soloists and the vocalists. They are just looking for the next place to insert a fill. That's just so wrong. They are missing an opportunity to musically help out the soloist. That's being unaware and selfish IMO.

5. DrummerWorld lol

Thank's for the good advices. =)

I wonder one thing. Now im play in 1 jazz big band, 1 jazz quartet, a rock band i also take drum lessons and i study in a School (it would be high school in the Usa) that have orientation in music.
So it means that i play more than 2 hours everyday with other musicians. Some days even more and i practice everyday at least one hour by my self , but the weekends i use to practice a lot more.

Now comes the question. Is that good or bad? is it too much for a 15 year old guy? Sorry if i waste your time or if i ask stupid questions. Thank's =)

Last edited:
Now comes the question. Is that good or bad? is it too much for a 15 year old guy? Sorry if i waste your time or if i ask stupid questions. Thank's =)

Hi Drummer Jr

You're not asking stupid questions...

I was playing playing with 3 bands at one stage many years ago, + my own practice schedule, playing gigs on weekends and I had a day job too, so I wasn't to much at home.

It is indeed when you're living for what you like so much in life that you'll make positive progress on your instrument, so for me, it's a good thing, as long as it doesn't affect your health.

Pro drummer Simon Phillips said, in a reply to the question: "What it takes to be as good as you are?", he said: "it has to be your life" , you can hear it from the man himself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDRf7Of6e2Q&feature=related

Happy new year to you :)

Hi Drummer Jr

You're not asking stupid questions...

I was playing playing with 3 bands at one stage many years ago, + my own practice schedule, playing gigs on weekends and I had a day job too, so I wasn't to much at home.

It is indeed when you're living for what you like so much in life that you'll make positive progress on your instrument, so for me, it's a good thing, as long as it doesn't affect your health.

Pro drummer Simon Phillips said, in a reply to the question: "What it takes to be as good as you are?", he said: "it has to be your life" , you can hear it from the man himself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDRf7Of6e2Q&feature=related

Happy new year to you :)

Thanks so much and happy new year to you too ;)

Not necessarily the most important but what I see as the basic five needed to be functional and an asset to a band:

Dynamic control
Flow
Tempo
Reliability
Timbre.

The 5 D's.

Dodge
Duck
Dip
Dive
And Dodge

The 5 D's.

Dodge
Duck
Dip
Dive
And Dodge

BAHAHAHA!!! Got it! :D

The 5 "most important things" change over time. In the beginning, it seems that everyone puts speed on the list, and eventually they learn that control and accuracy are more important, and somewhere along the way "making the music feel good" becomes more and more important.

Back