Emperor advise

Sirwill

Silver Member
I'm currently torn on a decision of tom heads. Shells are as fallowed. Pearl Masters custom 4ply with 4ply re-rings with the dimensions of 13"/16". I prefer Remo heads. And have narrowed it down to either, the Emperor Smooth White or the Emperor Clear. I'm looking for a very dark sound with tons of body and also be able to sing and resonate forever. What do you drummers think? The Emperor Smooth White? or the Emperor Clears?

Go for clears. I just picked up some smooth whites and I'm not digging them too much. They have a good sound, but they don't ring as much as desired.

They do have a nice dark sound though...

Thanks for the quick response.

Go for clears. I just picked up some smooth whites and I'm not digging them too much. They have a good sound, but they don't ring as much as desired.

They do have a nice dark sound though...

Clear Emperors are killer heads. Everything is great, the attack, the deep dark tone, and they sustain very nicely. The coated sound dead to me, never liked them.

Clear Emperors are killer heads. Everything is great, the attack, the deep dark tone, and they sustain very nicely. The coated sound dead to me, never liked them.

I like coated Emperors. Coupled with clear Ambassador resonant heads they make a very punchy and live drum (tom) sound, at least that's my experience.

Thanks to everyone on there valid opinions. I'm going to order the Clear emps. I have never tried them in all my years of drumming. I have used the clear Ambassadors many times though.

It really depends on your drums. I've had smooth whites on my thinner shell drums, and they sang for days. On thicker shells, they didn't sustain as much. The coated ones are a bit darker, but they don't sustain as much on certain drums. On my Ludwig 6 plies, the coated emperors ring forever. That's the thing with 2 ply heads- with the non coated ones you'll have sustain and body, but the attack can actually be brighter than a 1 ply head.

You might just try getting a couple of different types in the same size to try them all out before you buy a whole set. I wished I would've done that, because I've got a few sets of heads sitting around that I don't use that were experiments that didn't work.

Thanks for the in depth opinion. I have already ordered the clear Emps. I will post the results as soon as they arrive and are installed.

It really depends on your drums. I've had smooth whites on my thinner shell drums, and they sang for days. On thicker shells, they didn't sustain as much. The coated ones are a bit darker, but they don't sustain as much on certain drums. On my Ludwig 6 plies, the coated emperors ring forever. That's the thing with 2 ply heads- with the non coated ones you'll have sustain and body, but the attack can actually be brighter than a 1 ply head.

You might just try getting a couple of different types in the same size to try them all out before you buy a whole set. I wished I would've done that, because I've got a few sets of heads sitting around that I don't use that were experiments that didn't work.

Back