Charles Mingus "moanin"

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Hey, Anyone heard charles mingus' version of moanin??...i was wondering do you have to it actually use the bass drum, you playing fours or what ever i'ts called! (my mind id fried at the moment)
I'm entering a competition called irelands best young drummer, winner gets a singned kit from a world class pro, they won't say who. I thought i'd give it a shot, and play some jazz, they will probably be getting a load of death metal thrash drummers.
Any help??

I'm entering a competition called irelands best young drummer, winner gets a singned kit from a world class pro, they won't say who. I thought i'd give it a shot, and play some jazz, they will probably be getting a load of death metal thrash drummers.
Any help??

Well, but can you, you know, play jazz?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the song 'Moanin'' played by Mingus different than the more well known one. I think the one Mingus did was a song that he wrote, while the more well known one was written by Bobby Timmons, although Mingus may have done both as well, considering how large his discography is.

This is Jimmy smith doing the one written by Timmons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYosYlqiBOk

Is this the same one you're looking for?

Well, but can you, you know, play jazz?

well, i have been playing it and studying it for 10 years, i was going to play a song of miles davis' album kind of blue, but for that to work you would have to edit out the drumming......or else you would just sound like a complete amature ,but i was just wondering because i really don't have a clue on whether to feather the bass or what.... was thinking of not using it at all except for accents you know?

And michael, this is the link.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY

Based on the provided clip light feathering combined with setup accents/bombs/syncopated figures with the bass drum. In other words standard fair jazz wide ranging bass drum dynamics with the underlying "felt but not heard" pulse you get from light feathering of the bass drum coming from the right foot for the ensemble music.

Good luck!

Love the song. Don't love it as a choice for you (the drummer) in a drummer competition. I mean...are you playing along to a recording of it (with the drums on the recording)? Or are you gonna bring your own big band in there? I mean...if you can, I would arrange some sort of solo in there for you - maybe do something in the beginning to mimic the bari's opening line...use that as a thing to come back to...I dunno - throwin' some ideas out there...

If I were playing along to an original recording of a jazz song I would maybe pick something else...something with a quartet/quintet setting... Like Coltrane's "Impressions" or "Afro Blue" or "Amen"...Miles' "So What" (uptempo version - off Four & More) or something like that to rip on. But that's me.

I was thinking of picking this song because it's an upbeat type of jazz, something the non listener would like. I just forund out that you audition for 5mins, they then pick people to go to dublin to record a song, that then goes on the tv and public vote (kind of like american idol!)........you don't play a song in the 5min audition, you play one if you qualify.
Now it sounds very commercial, if the public vote, a song would want to be blazing solo's double bass and stick tricks, no?

But first i must get through the auditions on sunday!

And that's what i was thinking Stan, feather it, and just add in accents. And i also thought about what you were saying colonel, but after hearing that you would be recording it in a studio, they may have equipment to take out the drums would they?......if not i kind of agree with you.

Back