Mounting tom over bass drum

brianbags

Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount my tom over the center of my bass drum. Either the 12" (right) or the 13" (left). My problem is that it doesn't reach over the bass drum. At the bottom is a pic of the stand I'm using...I can't move it over anymore as it hits the bass drum. I am racking both of them using just normal cymbal stand bottoms, a clamp, and http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/gibraltar-ball-arm-l-rod-mount

The bass drum is 24". I'm thinking that's the problem and am looking at 22" basses, but I'm not sure. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Get rid of the dedicated tom stands. Mount your toms to the crash stands you have on either side of your toms. Move the crash stands in more toward your bass drum. Viola!

You are going to have some serious tom angles with them mounted over a 24" bass drum. I would recommend buying a tom stand and mounting both to the left of the bass drum.

Get rid of the dedicated tom stands. Mount your toms to the crash stands you have on either side of your toms. Move the crash stands in more toward your bass drum. Viola!

You are going to have some serious tom angles with them mounted over a 24" bass drum. I would recommend buying a tom stand and mounting both to the left of the bass drum.

Either this ^^^ or consider a rack.

Won't I have the same problem if I get rid of the tom stands and mount on the crashes? The crash stands won't move as close as I need them to in order to get the drum over the center of the bass either

1) Lose the dedicated stands. Tuck the cymbal stands in tight to the bass drum and put the tom mounts on them.

2) You have the mounts pointed at you. Point them at each other across the bass drum. They should have enough range of motion to easily acommodate that. That will get the drums much closer to each other.

3) All else fails get a dedicated stand and mount them both to the left of the bass drum

+1 on a rack, if a centered tom is that essential to you. Racks allow for more flexible and less precarious positioning than straight/boom stands, and depending on the number of cymbals and toms you mount on the rack, it can be easier to transport and set-up than the comparable number of stands needed.

On tour I use a rack which holds 5 cymbals, an electronic pad, 3 toms, and 3 mics. It's clean, fast, and light. When traveling overseas, I have a backline kit, and have to use stands for everything (except the rack toms.) It's a real pain getting the cymbal stands, mic stands, and pad stand to fit nicely around the kit!

Bermuda

Won't I have the same problem if I get rid of the tom stands and mount on the crashes? The crash stands won't move as close as I need them to in order to get the drum over the center of the bass either

As said, you have the mounts pointed at you. Point them in, across the bass drum toward each other, and that gains you 6-8 more inches. I guarantee it will work. People have been doing it for years.

Yes, point the tom mounts away from you and towards the bass drum. That will move the toms over the bass drum. Also, make sure to put a leg of the stand going under the tom...in this case, straight under the bass drum, in order to support the weight of the tom off to that side.

If that doesn't "work" for whatever reason, get a rack. If that's not your thing, get a double tom mount and put them both on the left (snare) side of your bass drum. If you don't want to do that, then you're insatiable and on your own. :p

I too, prefer my RT over the bass drum. I also have a 24" - I've found that I had to sit quite high (and subsequently my floor toms are really high) to be comfortable.

20131114_173321.jpg

Back