Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
So the unofficial word, to destroy the suspense, is that Mike Mangini is the new drummer for Dream Theater. From the rumor mill; but a pretty reliable source. I think a lot of people called it.

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Yeah, he's been rumoured on and off since last October.

What I can't understand if Mike is the new drummer is why they keep stalling with the announcement.

Mike has also taken a leave of absence from his academic post and I know some of the others that were considered have new projects including Marco Minnemann with UK, and Mark Zonder who is also giving Skype lessons.

Were they only interested in drummers who's first initial is M?

So the unofficial word, to destroy the suspense, is that Mike Mangini is the new drummer for Dream Theater. From the rumor mill; but a pretty reliable source. I think a lot of people called it.

Mike has also taken a leave of absence from his academic post and I know some of the others that were considered have new projects including Marco Minnemann with UK, and Mark Zonder who is also giving Skype lessons.

Not to be mean Ken, but that's not really news. That has been posted numerous times around here. Until it's "official" it's just a rumor backed with some good evidence.

I gave a lengthly break down of who was still possibly in and out last time this topic came up.

Yeah, he's been rumoured on and off since last October.

What I can't understand if Mike is the new drummer is why they keep stalling with the announcement.

This is the 10 million dollar question. A few rumors that is it is NOT Mangini use this evidence to back up that he is NOT the guy, because there is no reason to not announce him. While if it's someone who is from another band, record company politics might preclude an official announcement.

The leak comes from Eddie Trunk who travels tightly in those circles. I should have really just said that. At this point, a lot of people must know and are keeping their mouths shut. I know I few posters here who know; but may be legally or ethically bound to secrecy. Trunk has a book coming out and so he needs the publicity, all ethical bounding aside..

The leak comes from Eddie Trunk who travels tightly in those circles. I should have really just said that. At this point, a lot of people must know and are keeping their mouths shut. I know I few posters here who know; but may be legally or ethically bound to secrecy. Trunk has a book coming out and so he needs the publicity, all ethical bounding aside..

Ah, I didn't realize Eddie was behind this new source. I just checked his twitter page.

Yeah, he should know, if anyone.

Still weird that it's remained unconfirmed for so long. Mangini was the obviously shoe-in from day one.

Dammit! I was hoping for Pete Wildoer, or however you spell his name.

Were they only interested in drummers who's first initial is M?

lolol +10000

Well I was hoping Minnemann but Mangini's good too. He can't groove like Portnoy or Minnemann though.

I have a feeling their next album will be more heavy metal-ish and less progressive metal-ish, just a prediction though.

I have a feeling their next album will be more heavy metal-ish and less progressive metal-ish, just a prediction though.

I completely agree.

I'm still hoping it'll be Thomas Lang. He'd be such a neat fit in there. :D

Also, I'm wondering why someone doesn't just go down to the studio they're recording in and just wait by the door until the new guy enters/leaves... chances are he's not wearing a bag over his head to conceal his/her identity.

-Jonathan

Yep it's definitely Mangini. Even Mike's usual press release /including all the speed drumming records that great pros supposedly don't care about/ has been part of the Trunk bean spill package.

Still Mike, it's time to stop claiming records you still don't hold like the traditional gri...

Oh nevermind.

Again...that doesn't matter...although it was the first thing mentioned in your press release about being the new DT drummer. You know what I'm talking about...the outrageously nonmusical speed drumming reco..........?????!!!!!!

Oh don't mind me. What do I know? :D

Good stuff, Matt. I had an inkling all along Mangini would take the gig. I felt it was his to take. He's a great match for the gig. Just curious if you were ever a big DT fan? When I was in middle school I use to love them and even saw them in St. Louis with Jordan Rudess on SFAM tour valentines day 2000. It was great but I moved on to music where I enjoyed the other aspects of the work instead of primarily the drummer shortly after (Folk, Jazz, Blues, etc.).

Mike Mangini was the one I was hoping for.

The other's that I though would've been cool to see was:

Vinnie Caliuta, Neil Pert, Chris Adler or Navene Koperweis

You think Chris Adler would have left lamb to go with DT? the styles are really in opposition, no?

Mike Mangini was the one I was hoping for.

The other's that I though would've been cool to see was:

Vinnie Caliuta, Neil Pert, Chris Adler or Navene Koperweis

vinnie is a session drummer .and does not tour like that. neal would never leave rush. and chris is not that tech drummer thay need . what thay need is a young diverse drummer some one like marco minneman .or dan carrie of tool some one who can play and change time signnatures fluently

vinnie is a session drummer .and does not tour like that. neal would never leave rush. and chris is not that tech drummer thay need . what thay need is a young diverse drummer some one like marco minneman .or dan carrie of tool some one who can play and change time signnatures fluently

Why do people think that Danny Carey would even possibly consider Dream Theater?

I can't imagine anyone in Tool leaving Tool. They have a very cult status, more so than Dream Theater

Not that anyone cares what I think in the matter, I had compiled a mental list of drummers that could replace Mike. Not just in skill, but renown, style, creativity. I only saw about four drummers that could actually replace him and work. I had Mike Mangini, Neil Peart, Danny Carey, and Marco Minnemann, and if Mike is the guy I will be pleased with the choice. This is coming from a guy who is a GIANT Dream Theater fan. The problem I see right off, is how well he is going to keep the Dream Theater sound because of how original Portnoy was. But he is a more than capable guy and I hope it all works out. (Oh, and I didn't really expect Peart or Carey to leave their bands, I just thought they could actually be accepted.)

Back