Decent enough in Rock band to be good at drums?

When you play Rock Band you follow what's on the screen and just play, but in a real drumming situation there're no notes for you to follow exactly. Unless you have a drumscore that you're consistently looking at of course.

Rock Band doesn't have very fast double bass, many songs which have rather fast double bass in the real song have the bass made easier (I don't know how to phrase it!). It's something like 16th consistent notes on the bass drums in the real song are made into 8th notes in Rock Band.

It is obvious that he is a drummer to begin with, His relaxed style and his sense of time give that away.

I think "most" people that do really well in this game are drummers......I can't see him moving his foot for the pedal though.

So true................................................................
LOL @ step drum argument.
Personally I've always though those games are ridiculous, I tried playing guitar hero once and found it to be incredibly boring and dull, along with most of the music being horrible.

Ha, what are the odds.. I was bored so I ventured over here to see whats happening, and what do I find, this thread. About 2 months ago I got an e-kit, and came to this forum for some information. Only to be bombarded with the "rock band drums are nothing like real drums" comments. I'm referencing this thread. I got interested in drumming, after realizing I was blowing through almost every song I have for Rockband on expert, 450+ songs.

HERE
Proof that yes, if you are doing good at rock band drums and have an interest in drumming irl, go for it. Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I understand an acoustic kit is a whole 'nother animal compared to an e-kit. Due to living arrangements and money reasons, I had to stick with an e-kit for now.

Right now I haven't had a single lesson. Just learning the hands on way for now. I do want to take some lessons to improve my weaknesses, and will be doing that soon. I obviously recommend them, even not taking one yet myself. For now I have a few DVD's I use, mainly Tommy Igoe Grove Essentials.

Again, I have never played drums before I got Rock Band. I got my DM5 Pro Kit mid Feb, so there's a little snapshot of how I am coming along. I truly believe that if one really has an interest in drums, you can start on the games. Of course if you are financially able to, skip it and just go for an acoustic kit and lessons. Some of us aren't as fortunate.

Side note: Some one mentioned that Rockband doesn't have fast bass. Up until this past week, they never had a double bass option available. So they could only do the right thing of just charting 1 pedals notes. Now with Guitar Hero Metallica, they are charting full double bass notes. Look at some of the vids on youtube of people with the game on expert+. Rock band is following suit, they just released a double pedal setup as well.

Ha, what are the odds.. I was bored so I ventured over here to see whats happening, and what do I find, this thread. About 2 months ago I got an e-kit, and came to this forum for some information. Only to be bombarded with the "rock band drums are nothing like real drums" comments. I'm referencing this thread. I got interested in drumming, after realizing I was blowing through almost every song I have for Rockband on expert, 450+ songs.

HERE
Proof that yes, if you are doing good at rock band drums and have an interest in drumming irl, go for it. Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I understand an acoustic kit is a whole 'nother animal compared to an e-kit. Due to living arrangements and money reasons, I had to stick with an e-kit for now.

Right now I haven't had a single lesson. Just learning the hands on way for now. I do want to take some lessons to improve my weaknesses, and will be doing that soon. I obviously recommend them, even not taking one yet myself. For now I have a few DVD's I use, mainly Tommy Igoe Grove Essentials.

Again, I have never played drums before I got Rock Band. I got my DM5 Pro Kit mid Feb, so there's a little snapshot of how I am coming along. I truly believe that if one really has an interest in drums, you can start on the games. Of course if you are financially able to, skip it and just go for an acoustic kit and lessons. Some of us aren't as fortunate.

Side note: Some one mentioned that Rockband doesn't have fast bass. Up until this past week, they never had a double bass option available. So they could only do the right thing of just charting 1 pedals notes. Now with Guitar Hero Metallica, they are charting full double bass notes. Look at some of the vids on youtube of people with the game on expert+. Rock band is following suit, they just released a double pedal setup as well.

It's definitely cool that you've started to wean yourself off the game by getting the ekit, just make sure your eyes aren't glued to the screen when playing! Get the ipod on and start jamming. Some longer sticks would be a good idea too. Although ekits feel very different from acoustic kits, it's still worth working on good hand technique to ensure the transition isn't too painful.

I don't get Rock Band or GH. I played rock band round my friend's house and I just didnt get it. I played a song that I can play perfectly in real life on a REAL drum kit thinking "this will be easy because I already know how to play it" . . . But ooohhhh no. I got like 20% score it fricken sucked man, and not to sound up my own ass or anything but I'm grade 7 on drums and I always play to a click. I just couldn't play those "drums" XD haha, it is a good laugh though.

It's definitely cool that you've started to wean yourself off the game by getting the ekit, just make sure your eyes aren't glued to the screen when playing! Get the ipod on and start jamming. Some longer sticks would be a good idea too. Although ekits feel very different from acoustic kits, it's still worth working on good hand technique to ensure the transition isn't too painful.

Thanks, yea I do often times just jam out solo, or along with music. Sheer preference is keeping me with the junior sized sticks for now. Regular sized ones seem way too big and bulky in my hands, not to mention the smaller sticks don't vibe the hell outta my hand like the regular sized ones do. And yea I do want to get some lessons for that exact reason, so the transition doesn't suck.

I don't get Rock Band or GH. I played rock band round my friend's house and I just didnt get it. I played a song that I can play perfectly in real life on a REAL drum kit thinking "this will be easy because I already know how to play it" . . . But ooohhhh no. I got like 20% score it fricken sucked man, and not to sound up my own ass or anything but I'm grade 7 on drums and I always play to a click. I just couldn't play those "drums" XD haha, it is a good laugh though.

you are not alone! i like to think i'm a pretty good drummer on a real kit, but on rock band i'm terrible! little kids who've never played drums own me! the hardest part is sight reading all those notes pouring down the screen. i'm getting better at it, but i still suck and have to play everything on easy or medium.

Only thing that is bad with the games is that it only trains EYE-limb-coordination while what we actually need is EAR-limb-coordination, that's why we use metronome and not just some blinking led light. Other one is that it's a bad place to start with technique since there really isn't anything that pokes you on the right track with it.

But I dunno, I guess it's ok place to start if you haven't got anything else and it does give you some introduction on the big movements the limbs are doing.

But you also have to be aware that most of the craziest videos on the tube are from real drummers. So I'm not quite sure if you can get on the same level with them unless you practice like they have.

Let me plug my acoustic kit into the game, and put every single note on the score no matter how complex, grade on precision/dynamics, THAT would be awesome. I would also prefer a traditional notation rather than that notes coming at you thing.

Maybe someone needs to come up with a transition game. Start out with your rockband, then move up to a real setup as described above, include tutorials/rudiments for developing hands/feet, Then once you outdrum the semi-god in the final level (we'll call him Lars, as he won't be impossible to beat), you will be ready for a real band.
I can see the info-mercial now.

Seriously though, If I could have a game accurately judging me while I play on my set. I could definitely get into that. Their are a lot of good drummers out there who aren't able/don't want to be in a band.

I tried rock band at my friends house I could only play at advanced mode. It was cool
other than hitting the wrong color pads. I think it can be a useful tool for beginers who are starting out. Of course as a secondary thing. I think it would be a fun way to get young drummers used to the idea of reading music and playing. playing the game made feel like i was reading a chart in a small way. But nothing beats lessons and learning how to play the real thing

rockband drums are the one thing that i get really ignorant mad about on this forum - its a set of small, junky plastic pads that has nothing to do with real music, you are simply hitting the buttons instead of pushing them, you ever hear the response you get from a guitar player if you ask him how rockband can help make you a better player - ugly, it's a video game plain and #$!@?%& simple

rockband drums are the one thing that i get really ignorant mad about on this forum - its a set of small, junky plastic pads that has nothing to do with real music, you are simply hitting the buttons instead of pushing them, you ever hear the response you get from a guitar player if you ask him how rockband can help make you a better player - ugly, it's a video game plain and #$!@?%& simple
Yeah, would you just look at this set of small, junky plastic pads that has nothing to do with real music either:
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/Jojomayerphrases.html

No, I'm not saying Rock Band will teach anyone to play like Jojo. But, unlike the guitar, Rock Band drumming actually shares a skillset with real drumming.

I agree rock band is a silly game. But If it inspires some young kid to learn how to play
the drums and play in a real band than thats a good thing. As far as the guitar part of that game its very stupid my youngest son has guitar hero but plays the real guitar. when he first got the game he told his teacher about it. His teacher said (so you have been spending time playing a fake guitar) after that he has not played that game going on a year now. Instead he plays the real guitar hero THE GUITAR. He says the real guitar is a harder game but it sounds better(he is only 10)

Yeah, would you just look at this set of small, junky plastic pads that has nothing to do with real music either:
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/Jojomayerphrases.html

No, I'm not saying Rock Band will teach anyone to play like Jojo. But, unlike the guitar, Rock Band drumming actually shares a skillset with real drumming.

i understand your opinion but please do not put words into my mouth, i spoke only of rockband equipment , did not and would not mention electronic drum kits, the best of these are quite amazing in sound and more importantly, feel...

and your 10 year old son seems wise beyond his years yesdog ;-)

After my cousin had been playing rock band on the drums for a good while, I let him try out my kit. He had no clue what to do...he was overwhelmed with it. He couldn't even really do anything either. not even the basic groove. Then I showed him some stuff, and he was pretty impressed with it. He might be a little better at the rock band game than me, but I'm better at the real thing by far ;)

Back