Jack White's drum setup

Hey Ronn (Im assuming this is Ronn)....your set-up looks really comfortable to play but I want to know how big the cymbal is on your left...it sure looks bigger than a 24". That monster looks huge!!! And does your 1st floor tom get in the way of your right knee?

Hey Ronn (Im assuming this is Ronn)....your set-up looks really comfortable to play but I want to know how big the cymbal is on your left...it sure looks bigger than a 24". That monster looks huge!!! And does your 1st floor tom get in the way of your right knee?

The ride is a 24" Paiste Giant beat.

The floor toms are slightly out of line in this image - they don't interfere with my right leg. The pedal is obviously slaved and that gives more room than what it might look like in the picture.

I set it up this way because - and I assume everyone has done this - I liked the way everything felt when I would practice sitti9ng n a couch and using the arm rest as tom, targets. Same thing with playing a car steering wheel with sticks - I liked the compressed placement of everything.

Yeah thats really cool!...man that ride looks so much bigger than a 24" in the pic. I can imagine that set being really fun to play. I try to set up kind of the same way (with everything as close as possible), as well as pretty flat so I may need to steal some ideas from you. I should have another snare to add to my set soon as I was the winner of the Elkhart....and I am really looking forward to jamming on it. Thanks again!!!

Nice setup, Dunnett!

One more comment about JW's setup: In the first pic, I noticed his drums are set pretty low. I used to have my snare that low, then I realized I kept banging my legs with my hands as I was playing. I raised the snare up higher, and it works much better for me now.

Nice setup, Dunnett!

One more comment about JW's setup: In the first pic, I noticed his drums are set pretty low. I used to have my snare that low, then I realized I kept banging my legs with my hands as I was playing. I raised the snare up higher, and it works much better for me now.

Had the same thing - maybe you had the same experience I had - finding a large bruise on my leg after a gig and not knowing how it got there.

It obviously works for him, but I fail to see how that's even remotely playable...

You can see it here. Looks playable enough. At least for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6sgHFXoH0&feature=related

I wonder if Jack saw the thread on Meg White criticizing her extreme tom angle and decided to start a controversey in the opposite direction. Too much angle - not enough angle. Whatever. If it works for you, do it.

This is one of my kits. It plays effortlessly and I spend very little energy reaching or lifting. I've been using this basic configuration since 1990.

mykit3.jpg

I'm diggin' this set up! I like the remote BD thing!

As for the original question, the only thing that doesn't seem right with Jack's set-up is the low height. I find it hard to roll with the sticks at such a high angle to the head. Raise it up about 6 inches, and it's not sooo unlike my set up. My two floor toms are flat and in plane with the snare. Just the rack tom is a few inches higher than the rest. Just the basic Buddy Rich traditional set-up.

-Ryan

With a set up like this, you don't really do 'down the drums" type fills.

If you are that type of player, or like fills that are more "drummy", rather than something that just fits in the groove, then it's not going to be what you'd like for a set-up.

With the toms like this (low) and things grouped like JW has on this kit, it's more of a "go this way" or "that way" when doing "fills".

His kick is a 16x26. The snares are 5x16 & a 12x14 marching snare. The front tom is a 5x16 too.

I play a 26 on most of my kits (have a 28 too), and sometimes the toms are level with the kick, sometimes not.
It depends on how I feel at the time. It's pretty comfortable too, no worse than anything else.
It does move the tom over, but since I'm not really a 'down the toms' type player much anyway, it isn't a problem.

Only using 2 cymbals is fun too.

Sometimes I use 4 ft's on the kit, and with 2 on each side it seems more natural feeling going to my left than the right...even though when I only use 2 or 3, it feels normal going to the right. It's hard to explain, but it's fun.

There have been a couple other drummers I've liked that have this kind of kit.
Gregg Potter, and Vic Foxx (The Veronicas, Vince Neil, Enuff Z Nuff) come to mind.

Cool pics people posted.

My younger cousin has a setup a lot like Jack's but only a 4pc.
His Rack Tom and Snare are at exactly the same level and super low.
I play with my stuff low too, but not that low, My back would hurt a LOT of I had to reach like that for the tom.

I have my kit set up in same manner and have no problems playing at these levels...Back problems ? I'm using a "Foot Stool" (About 2 1/2' square and 2 1/2' high) instead of drum stool and works great...Drum stools cause me back problems and I find most quite uncomfortable...I like the low set-up...Everthing right there although I don't see how the Toms to the left of the set up would be easy to play...Looks kind of out there...With a 3 or 4 piece set of drums (Snare - Toms) not a problem...Anyone out there have any Gretsch Renown Toms for sale ? 13" RT 14" FT or 18" FT in Slate Silver Sparkle...Thanks...RS...

if you notice, his drum set is based around 3's... there is 3 ppl on his bass drum, and the rest of his set is in 3's

hate the snare drums sound, sounds choked. His playing is okay, definitely didn't use a lot of that kit but I liked the song.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say he looked kind of uncomfortable playing drums...compared to how he handles that guitar of his.

I set my kit up as flat as possible... I never liked the drums all angled at me. When I see Nicko McBrain, Up the Irons!, I trip out on the angles of his kit, dude is lost back there too...

Not too wild about JW's kit as it looks crazy uncomfortable to reach everything, especially the floors on the right, but to each his own. I am, however, digging Dunnetts kit setup where it all seems very easy to navigate around. I play double pedal a lot so the remote bass would be a problem technique-wise, but still looks good. I recently sold my huge Slingerland kit but this is what I'm playing now and it may be the most comfortable, versatile kit I have ever played. While the toms are not exactly "flat", their placement does allow me to play a lot of multi-tom fills almost effortlessly. Kudos to all who think outside the box and can bring themselves to realize that standard, traditional setups may not be for everyone anymore. I'm glad there are so many hardware options nowdays...

Attachments

• 320leftybopkitget-attachment.aspx.jpg
    320leftybopkitget-attachment.aspx.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 33,347
Great film. For any musicians -- not just guitarists.

I totally loved "It Might Get Loud", and you are exactly right, it is not just for guitarists. Sorry to some and not to offend anyone but Jack White totally blew me away compared to the The Edge and Jimmy Page. Not just with his playing but with his entire mindset concerning music and how he is "ALWAYS" thinking out of the box...what a concept and words I have often used with my bandmates...Love JW and what he brings to the table. Loved when he said he did even have room for bed in his room because the drums took up all the space and he opted to sleep on the floor instead of getting rid of one of the kits, now that's dedication from jump street...

And by the way not a set-up that would be easy for me play on, but then again my set up is very unique and out of the norm also..

I too play with my high tom at almost the same level and angle as my snare... For me, it's about using the same technique around the kit. I try to play mostly with what I think is called "german grip" where my palms generally face the floor and I'm using my wrist joint the way it has the most dexterity.

When the 'high tom' is actually placed high and angled towards the drummer more, you have to use a different hand technique to play the high and floor tom. It just feels more natural to me when I'm playing 'down' into all my drums and cymbals rather than playing in front of me.

All matters of preference...

Back