Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Hadn't heard of him, and bailed on the promo clip after about 30 seconds. What gives?

Bermuda

Here's a link to Casey's page - http://www.youtube.com/user/COOP3RDRUMM3R

I checked out Gangnam Style. He puts a lot into the video presentation, and his playing is okay, but he's not tight with the track. More flams than the DCI snare finals!

Bermuda

Okay, in order to be fair, I checked out Thriller too.

Same problem. He needs to get more on the beat. He drifts in & out of being behind it.

Bermuda

I'm not keen on the constant stick trickery. It's a bit of a trend with the younger youtube covers drummers but I find it incredibly irritating.

I watched a few of the vids....I'm not going to criticize the playing, on the other hand, I'm not going to endorse it. It does not move me one way or the other; not bad, not better than good. Certainly not interesting or inspiring. I would not disrespect him nor would I recommend him.

He's OK. To me, he's one of those drummers that have more flair(?) than substance. But from what I see, he's inspired lots of people to pick up a pair of sticks... and buy a set of EXX Exports or A Zildjians (85% of the people I see picking up the stuff(s) on Twitter say that they got it because of him).

So that's... good, I guess? After all, a musician's job, I believe, is to do to 3 things: Entertain, Educate, Inspire. (And make a buck or two so that you can continue doing those three things).

He ain't no Virgil Donati or Steve Gadd, so I can't say he's a phenomenal player. But since my skills are crappier than his, I can't bash or disrespect the lad, either.

I don't wish to sound cruel, but I don't rate him as a musician. This probably sums it up the best.

He isn't making mature compositional choices, and he's also playing ahead of the beat most of the time. To be quite frank, if I caught myself doing a lot of the things he's doing, I would be retreating to the practice room with my metaphorical tail between my legs. And to have the nerve to think that these are positive contributions to the source material demonstrates a certain bravery, I suppose, but also a lack of self-awareness and musical sensitivity.

anyone spelling a name with number is using a gaming tag and that's just immature. be a pro by starting with your name spelled with all letters.

The last 2 posts - and most of the previous posts - resonate a lot with me.

What I'd like to know is:
What makes that drummer special? What's his style? How does he differ from others? Oh, he doesn't? Because that's not what he's aiming for. He's a copyist rather than an inventor? Fine. I'm just not interested in keeping track with what he's doing. Maybe in a few years once he even started developing a style of his own.

We all make decisions. Whether being the millionth (although maybe even good) copy of somebody who's out there already (plus the million copies of him/her) or maybe... developing his/her own voice? I know what I'd go for.

(I stumbled across a video of him a while ago but I think the stick ticks rather put me off. Ah, those YouTube show-off drummers... Maybe I'd be one of them if I could do that stuff. But I'm not, and a good deal older than most of them.)

Trying not to be impolite, but my impression of this thread is like: Hey, I'll push you and you push me - deal?

...and he's also playing ahead of the beat most of the time.

Interesting, in the two clips I viewed, he was dragging at times. He definitely needs to work on locking-in with tracks (if playing-along is how he intends to present himself.)

Sorry to sound like everyone is dogpiling on this guy, but he's just not an "awesome drummer" in my opinion. He plays reasonably well, and might sound better with a live band where a little push and pull is more acceptable and easily masked. Putting himself against the 'clock' of a track isn't working as well as he probably wanted it to.

Seems like a sincere guy though, and he looks a like a cross between Keith Moon and me at an early age!

Bermuda

He's OK. To me, he's one of those drummers that have more flair(?) than substance. But from what I see, he's inspired lots of people to pick up a pair of sticks... and buy a set of EXX Exports or A Zildjians (85% of the people I see picking up the stuff(s) on Twitter say that they got it because of him).

What is Twitter? Sounds like a new kind of gelatin..

Interesting, in the two clips I viewed, he was dragging at times. He definitely needs to work on locking-in with tracks (if playing-along is how he intends to present himself.)

Sorry to sound like everyone is dogpiling on this guy, but he's just not an "awesome drummer" in my opinion. He plays reasonably well, and might sound better with a live band where a little push and pull is more acceptable and easily masked. Putting himself against the 'clock' of a track isn't working as well as he probably wanted it to.

Seems like a sincere guy though, and he looks a like a cross between Keith Moon and me at an early age!

Bermuda

Maybe he is dragging so much that it seems like he is ahead of the follow-on beat drop LOL

Maybe he is dragging so much that it seems like he is ahead of the follow-on beat drop LOL

I could forgive him for being on the wrong beat, if he was at least locked-into it!

Bermuda

He ain't no Virgil Donati or Steve Gadd, so I can't say he's a phenomenal player. But since my skills are crappier than his, I can't bash or disrespect the lad, either.

this is what i think when i look at his videos. the only thing that ticks me off is the stick acrobatics

I was going to say that as well, but, listening to the video I posted while I typed, I decided it was much more on the pushing side. He did drag in a few fills though. It's just not brilliant time.

Seems like a sincere guy though

I agree, and I don't want to denigrate or disrespect him for having a go and putting himself out there. He does seem to have set himself up as a Big Deal though, and I think there's a lot of blinding with science going on, the stick tricks, the histrionics of the performance...the focus looks to be on entertainment first, music second, and personally I like an equal measure of both.

However I also know well that sometimes you have to go out there and get stuff wrong in order to truly grow as a performer, it's an unfortunate reality of our times that your early performances are no longer one-off transient experiences quickly lost in the mists of time, but recordings that people can go over and criticize again and again and again (for which I apologize, COOP3RDRUMM3R, if you ever happen to read this!)

Just watched him playing through "No One Knows" which has an AWESOME drum line, in my opinion. His cover of this song summarizes all that has been said so far (mainly about timming).
Dynamics is also a problem imo, listen to Dave Grohl playing this one (he's known for hitting hard, btw).

An interesting idea: "practice twirling sticks with a metronome", as he is one of your idols.

Back