Newbie here...

Snakeman1066

Hey guys....I'm new to the world of drumming

and this is my first post

Recently picked up a PDP FS Birch kit in cherry of craigslist.....never had a lesson in my life....just pretty much think what i want to do in my head and then just listen to the playback i guess you call that basic trial and error...the things i do know i have simply picked up over the years watching various artists and live performances and listening to recordings....though i have recently started taking some lessons at my local drum shop...

I bought the kit to have for my home studio (I'm a bass player by trade) so that i can record complete songs and pass them on to the band and for my own personal use as i want to be a more well rounded musician...(play guitar and piano as well)

The last couple of weeks i have been experimenting with different set ups....and have disovered i like my drums low and my ride close covering half the bass drum on the right (if your seated behind the kit where most standard kits mount the second tom)

22" bass, 10", 12" rack toms 14" and 16" floor toms

still debating on keeping the 10" in the mix...i am currently flying it off the crash stand to the left of the 12"

I have a 15" hats, 16" fast crash, a 18" heavy, a 22" ride, and an 18" china. the China is giving me fits as i can't decide to mount it bowl up or bowl down or where to place it in the kit....

can you guys give me some direction?

The Drummer in the band I'm in says there is no wrong or right way to set up a kit, but his stuff is all mounted very high and hurts my arms to play when i get behind his kit...

i know i know ask 10 different drummers the same question and get 10 different answers

maybe you guys can post pics of your kits to give me an idea?

Last edited:
You'll find more kit pictures than you probably want in the gear section here. Not that this will help you as everyone does something different. There is no right. Just try stuff on until it feels right.

Thanks

After viewing the entire thread, i think i have found a few ideas

will post pics when i have decided on my final set up

As for the china thing, both ways have advantages. If you mount it upside down the lip of the cymbal is turned downward making it somewhat easier to hit. Mounted right side up it will sway more naturally like a normal cymbal. Experiment and see what you like better. I like mine low upside down on the right over my floor tom.

How to set up your kit is a very personal thing and vary widely from one drummer to another, but from a physical point of view (and health, for that matter) there are some "rules" that should be applied when setting up the drums and the cymbals.

You mentioned that when you play on your drummer's kit, it hurts your arms because everything is set quite high.

There's nothing wrong about having to raise your arms to reach elements of the kits, however, it's a different story if you have to raise your shoulder(s), it will inevitably results in pains in the arms and forearms. The ideal position is to seat straight with low and relaxed shoulders, with this position you'll reach everything on the kits without feeling any pains.

Good luck with your drumming...

Back