I've joined a band that I can't keep up with

timely topic. In a new band and we are adding 5 new cover songs a week. This week it was some complicated songs, mostly just the changes not really the groove or fill. But one of the is rock and roll and I have having a lot of trouble getting the ending hertas up to speed and the triplets that follow on floor tom, moounted tom, snare and bass. I can do them well at about 130 BPM. Getting up to the 178 BPM is giving me fits. Since I am new to the band I too worry about keeping up. That rock and roll ending is so iconic I feel I have to nail it and I think th ebandmates expect that. I hope they are patient. Goal is to gig with 40 songs by April. It is a challenge.

I've been in over my head in almost every band I've ever joined, at least initially. If they don't want to get rid of you then you must be doing something right. There's no better incentive to improve your playing in my experience.

People are selfish first. they don't bother thinking about how hard it is for you to play.

They only listen to the pro bands and try and copy them but that's not music it's selling a product. it's not real.
metal is not ment to be shinny. that's reality.
this is an indication that they are not to be associated with. leave the band and give them the usual message, silence. they'll be really confused and think you're got all the problems and start blameing you for all their misfortunes.

The first thing people are is selfish then they fight then they shun. it's years before any improvement might be noticed.
They're NOBODIES, mate. If they are somebodies then they're salesmen.

You cannot do more than you can. You are giving it your best and they seem happy with your effort. I have sort of been through this, I play single kick, that is it, single kick only. Yes, I am fast (not Nicko, Bonham fast) but good enough. I have played with a few bands and not all, but some of the songs needed double kick. I told them I would lay it down as close as I could and in every case the bands were happy with what I did. I gave them my best and they appreciated it. Do the best you can do, that is all that can be asked of a person.

Congrats on being hired! The fact that they wanted you is huge. You can work on everything you need to work on while being excited about being in a working band. I envy your position because the opposite (where you are waiting for the band to catch up with you) is never much fun. Being in a position where you are part of the group, yet in a situation you need
to grow is close to perfect in my book. Work hard yet enjoy!

Back