New member, random question.

wabsnoots

So I live in a duplex/townhouse, and i'm trying to figure a way to be able to play drums. I was thinking of maybe building a shed in my basement, and just using soundproof foam and maybe the Auralex Sheetblok Sound barriers as a form of soundproofing, so my neighbors won't complain. I figured maybe getting five pieces of wood, and building a little room to house the drums, probably 7 feet by 7 feet, as I play a 6 pieces ddrum set. Any opinions, besides this may not possibly work? ha, any help would be appreciated though, thanks!

The most soundproofing room would be using the "box in a box" method.

Your idea of building something in your basement is quite good, you won't get vibrations from the floor, build another room within the room in your basement, ensuring that the walls of the new room does not touch in any way the existing walls of your basement room. Use the highest density material you can find to do this, it would reduce vibrations' transmission throughout the walls. It helps further if the "inner" room has a ceilling as well (not touching the existing ceilling)

Depends on your neighbors as well. I was in an apt and played with the cymbal & drum mutes most of the time, and would occasionally play loud when it was alright with the neighbors. Talk to them before you go spending a ton of money and maybe you can save both of yourselves a headache.

that seems like a gnarly idea. i'm not 100% sure if i'd be able to build two rooms, due to our lease. but our lease doesn't specify anything against building, so i should be alright. any possible idea of the size of the outside room? and about how much the wood cost would be to build them?

that seems like a gnarly idea. i'm not 100% sure if i'd be able to build two rooms, due to our lease. but our lease doesn't specify anything against building, so i should be alright. any possible idea of the size of the outside room? and about how much the wood cost would be to build them?

I don't know about a much it will costs, depends on type of woods and the size of your rooms.

But the good thing is that you can take it with you when you move to another house...

It's probably going to cost you at least 1k for the wood for sound reduction. I haven't done it, so I can't say how much it will actually give you. The bass is going to be the biggest issue.

Drumdojo.com has a good soundproofing discussion.
Quiet rock is an extreme drywall solution, but its pricy.
Look into like a "vocalbooth" type solution, very pricy...but I think those can be moved later.

It's going to be a pita project no matter what.

Back