Wrap for 54 Radio King - Silver Sparkle?

I would call Precision Drum Company. They deal with those questions on a regular basis. I've only ordered from them once, but they were extremely helpful.

I do know that my 1965 Slingerland gold sparkle set is a bit more like sand or sparkle and less like glitter. The glitter seems to consist of bigger flakes. The sparkle is more sand-like.

I'm not sure about the ones from the 50ths though.

Jeff

There are scans of the catalogs from almost every year posted at vintagedrumguide.com. They have catalogs of the actual snares and a separate catalog of finishes offered on the drums. Do you have an actual radio king? I'd be interested to see a pic. It looks like slingerland offered a "Sparkling Silver Pearl" finish. The catalogs are a little confusing because they say "Choice of Pearl Finish" but then all of the wraps available during those years had pearl at the end of whatever the rest of the name was.

Looking at the precision drum site, it looks like the difference between the silver sparkle and the silver glitter is that the silver glitter has bigger chunks in it. Looking at the catalog scans from both 1953 and 1955 (no 1954 available) I would say the sparkle is probably closer. That being said, I actually own a 51 Super Gene Krupa Radio King, and I would go with the antique white marine pearl (If I was going for the authentic look) or strip it and laquer it. Photo attached.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to check out that website, vintagedrumguide.com to compare.
I'm fairly sure it's old Radio King, but in horrible repair. I bought the kit from a guy who had stripped the wrap off and hand painted it with red paint.
Upon closer inspection there is a stamped date that says 1958 in the floor tom, so it's actually a 58, but it definitely resembles every characteristic of a Radio King (Badge, classic rail on bass drum for tom mount, ride cymbal mount on bass drum, etc...

Back